Good deal but not old enough

This is a discussion on Good deal but not old enough within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a great deal on a keltec with chrome slide. Problem is Im not old enough till august. In fl, is there a way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal but not old enough

I found a great deal on a keltec with chrome slide. Problem is Im not old enough till august. In fl, is there a way my dad can buy it and I can take it in august? Obviously I wouldnt carry or anything illegal. I just want to know baut the paperwork?

VIP Member
    Unless he declares that he is not the purchaser, then no he cannot. If he declares that he is not the purchaser then they may not be able to sell it to him. It is called a strawman purchase and it is illegal. You can both wind up in jail and worse.

Maybe the shop will work with you letting you pay for it and pick it up on your birthday. Just a suggestion.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    there is nothing illegal about him buying it for a gift.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I found a great deal on a keltec with chrome slide. Problem is Im not old enough till august. In fl, is there a way my dad can buy it and I can take it in august? Obviously I wouldnt carry or anything illegal. I just want to know baut the paperwork?
    How old are you? In some states, you're allowed to possess a handgun at 18, even though you can't purchase one yourself until you're 21 (I believe that's IAW Federal law).

In PA, it's legal for a parent or grandparent to gift a handgun to a child or grandchild (and vice versa) of 18 and above. 18-20 year olds can also open carry without a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF), except in a vehicle or in Philadelphia. You have to be 21 to apply for the LTCF.

As I say, it depends on your state laws. YMMV.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member
    As far as I know your father should be able to buy the gun for himself. After you turn 21 he should be able to give it to you, or sale it to you for .01.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    As of Florida law, he can buy it as a gift for you. He can't buy it for you though meaning that you can't use him to buy it. Or he could just buy it and decide that he doesn't like it and just give it to you.

In Florida you don't have to be 21 to posses or buy a handgun through private sale, but you have to be 21 in order to buy it from a licensed dealer or to buy ammo for it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I can't speak for FL law.

As far as Federal Law is concerned, my understanding is that your father can purchase the gun for you as a GIFT, but ONLY if it is truly a gift. He has to use his own money. If you in any way reimburse or give him money to help with the purchase it becomes a straw man purchase and both of you have commited a federal felony.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

How can anyone tell if it is not a "true gift"? There is no way. If I buy a gun, I use it for one day and don't like it - I can then give it away as a "gift" or I can sell it. This is not a huge deal in my opinion. His dad could just purchase the gun and give it to his son or sell it to his son. Seems simple to me. I don't think anyone is going to breakout the lights, lie detectors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    my dad bought me every gun i own until i bought my .45 the day after my 21st. as long as he says that he's the original purchaser on the forms he's fine.

Maybe you could do a lay-away plan? Or just have Dad buy it, and them make it a 21st B-day gift. Or just wait, you may find a better deal, or even decide you want a snub instead!!
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

it is not a straw purchase when a firearm is purchased as a gift for a person who is not prohibited.

it is a generally accepted principal that parents purchasing firearms for childrwewn who are not prohibited person is not a straw purchase.

1943 - 2009
    The purchaser's age is not an issue unitl he/she takes actual possession of the firearm and fills at out the form 4473.

Just put down a deposit and ask the shop to hold it on layaway, as others have suggested, and pick it up on your 21st b-day.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I bought my 1911 a few days before my 21st birthday and went to pick it up and do the 4473 a few days after my birthday.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I bought my 1911 a few days before my 21st birthday and went to pick it up and do the 4473 a few days after my birthday.
    There you go.

Problem solved.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I'd say have your father buy it for you. Then have him 'gift' it to you later. No one will ever ask about anything if the family name is on it. Your father could buy it, get it home, decide he doesn't want it and privately sell it to you. No paperwork, nothing. No proof of any wrong doing. I see the point to the law, but then again, sometimes it's just ridiculous. My first gun I found a steal of a deal on, had my father buy it since I wasn't 21, and I got it from him. No harm, no foul.
    "I play for keeps."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links