Defensive Carry banner

Good deal but not old enough

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  FlyboyLDB 
#1 ·
I found a great deal on a keltec with chrome slide. Problem is Im not old enough till august. In fl, is there a way my dad can buy it and I can take it in august? Obviously I wouldnt carry or anything illegal. I just want to know baut the paperwork?

#2 ·
Unless he declares that he is not the purchaser, then no he cannot. If he declares that he is not the purchaser then they may not be able to sell it to him. It is called a strawman purchase and it is illegal. You can both wind up in jail and worse.

Maybe the shop will work with you letting you pay for it and pick it up on your birthday. Just a suggestion.

#4 ·
How old are you? In some states, you're allowed to possess a handgun at 18, even though you can't purchase one yourself until you're 21 (I believe that's IAW Federal law).

In PA, it's legal for a parent or grandparent to gift a handgun to a child or grandchild (and vice versa) of 18 and above. 18-20 year olds can also open carry without a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF), except in a vehicle or in Philadelphia. You have to be 21 to apply for the LTCF.

As I say, it depends on your state laws. YMMV.

#5 ·
As far as I know your father should be able to buy the gun for himself. After you turn 21 he should be able to give it to you, or sale it to you for .01.

#6 ·
As of Florida law, he can buy it as a gift for you. He can't buy it for you though meaning that you can't use him to buy it. Or he could just buy it and decide that he doesn't like it and just give it to you.

In Florida you don't have to be 21 to posses or buy a handgun through private sale, but you have to be 21 in order to buy it from a licensed dealer or to buy ammo for it.

#7 ·
I can't speak for FL law.

As far as Federal Law is concerned, my understanding is that your father can purchase the gun for you as a GIFT, but ONLY if it is truly a gift. He has to use his own money. If you in any way reimburse or give him money to help with the purchase it becomes a straw man purchase and both of you have commited a federal felony.

#8 ·
How can anyone tell if it is not a "true gift"? There is no way. If I buy a gun, I use it for one day and don't like it - I can then give it away as a "gift" or I can sell it. This is not a huge deal in my opinion. His dad could just purchase the gun and give it to his son or sell it to his son. Seems simple to me. I don't think anyone is going to breakout the lights, lie detectors, etc.

#12 ·
The purchaser's age is not an issue unitl he/she takes actual possession of the firearm and fills at out the form 4473.

Just put down a deposit and ask the shop to hold it on layaway, as others have suggested, and pick it up on your 21st b-day.

#15 ·
I'd say have your father buy it for you. Then have him 'gift' it to you later. No one will ever ask about anything if the family name is on it. Your father could buy it, get it home, decide he doesn't want it and privately sell it to you. No paperwork, nothing. No proof of any wrong doing. I see the point to the law, but then again, sometimes it's just ridiculous. My first gun I found a steal of a deal on, had my father buy it since I wasn't 21, and I got it from him. No harm, no foul.

#17 ·
I guess my initial thought is, if you don't turn 21 until August, that gives you 4 more months to save up some more money to buy something a little better quality than a Kel-Tec.:wink:

#19 ·
Not true - legally speaking. If they giver had no insight that the recipient would use the firearm in an illegal matter, then the monkey is on the recipient's back. The may know on the purchaser's door.

If this was the case, a fair amount of people should be very concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.