Defensive Carry banner

Texas Concealed Handgun Licensing

9K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  dukalmighty 
#1 ·
I am possibly moving to Texas in the future for a new job. I want to obtain my CHL from Texas and was checking to see if it is easier having my Colorado CHL.

Does having my Colorado remove any steps to obtaining my Texas CHL?

Also does anyone have information on the course taught by D&L Training LLC, in Flower Mound?
Is this a good course, good instructors, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

#2 ·
#9 ·
I do not believe it eliminates any steps, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, Texas CHL's are not difficult to obtain. Here is a link:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

I know nothing about D&L, but we do have some folks here from that area.

Texas is much more CHL friendly than Denver.
Welcome!
Colorado in general has better carry laws than TX. We can carry at Universities (some policies prohibit it, but it is legal). No 30.06 signs. No bars are off limits. Open carry is legal everywhere except Denver and some areas of other cities. Always legal in vehicle.

Colorado Counties vary widely on their attitudes about CCW.

#3 ·
I think not

Even renewing an existing license is pretty much the same process as getting a whole new license. Fill out the same forms; submit the same finger print stuff; do the range test; attend class. WAIT for DPS to process stuff.

The only difference I could tell between getting the original license and a renewal was that part of the course work was omitted---and that was the part that I think everyone should go through periodically anyway as a matter of imparting "wisdom" on the "when" of deadly force. (Verbal Judo, Gravest Extreme etc.)

The process is not inexpensive, especially if you don't get the senior discounts, and it is time consuming, and it can be inconvenient. On balance, I think it is the bare bones minimum that should be done before a license is issued.

(I know, the 2A purists object even to the concept of a license and I understand that point of view. But we live in the world we live in, and I doubt we will ever again have unrestricted rights to arm ourselves; Heller notwithstanding.)

#4 ·
you still have to go thu all the steps and its going to have to wait at least 65 to 70 days to get it, i sent my paper work in mid jan and i'm still waiting for it to be approved.

#8 ·
Texas has reciprocity with Colorado. However, the Texas CHL site reports the following:

"Effective May 17, 2007 Colorado will only recognize permits issued to residents of the issuing state. Colorado no longer recognizes permits issued to non-residents."​

For example, it is my understanding that anyone from any state can get a non-resident Utah permit. Thus, the foregoing sentence suggests that Colorado will not recognize a Utah permit for a non-Utah resident.

If you are moving to Texas, it makes sense to get the Texas CHL. Otherwise, you will may have problems carrying as a non-resident in Colorado.

I would add that my next renewal in Texas will cost $17.50 (less than a driver's license). $70 for renewal x 1/2 for being over 60 x 1/2 for being a veteran = $17.50.

#7 ·
The whole point of the class is to learn the law, and being that it is a requirement it really isn't useless, since without it you have no license.

But to the OP, you have to go through all the steps just like everyone else even though you have a license in another state.

#6 ·
I live in Lewisville, and took mine from Lonnie at Denton County Sports Association right outside of Highland Village, TX back in January. Since you're saying you might be new to the area, Lewsville, Flower Mound, and Highland Village are all essentially right next to each other in the same part of the Metroplex. Lonnie runs a one-stop shop for classroom and practical qualification. He's really good people as well. Website: Texas Hunter Education, CHL, & NRA First Steps Classes| Denton County Sports Association.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about D&L and their course.

Cheers.

#11 ·
TexasCHLforum.com • Index page has a lot of info about Texas specific licensing, but as said earlier, a previous license will not help with the process.

One thing people have noticed is that veterans or military seem to recieve their licenses sooner.

TX DPS is getting a lot more requests than usual, I guess people are scared about the upcoming election, and their processing time has gone way up. It is not unheard of for some people to be waiting 90+ days, even though their published goal is 60 days.

Try to make sure all of your paperwork is done properly, check and re-check your fingerprints to make sure there are no unaccounted for smudges or lines. For instance if you have a scar that shows up, be sure you attach a note that explains what the line is, where the scar is, etc.

Applying online seems to speed up the process, but it's hit or miss. Applying online will get you your pin number sooner, so that you can track the status of your application online.

It seems that right now, it is taking 2-3 weeks to get a pin number. About 4-7 weeks for processing the application, and 4-5 days to get it in the mail after the application status has changed from 'processing' to 'completed/active'.

The TexasCHL forum has a waiting room where you can vent your frustrations about the time taken. They also have a CHL checklist that you should go through before you send off your application in order to, hopefully, prevent any delays.

#16 ·
If you don't find a location you like, send Reborn or myself an email. We are doing classes monthly sometimes twice a month... right here in the Dallas area too.

#18 ·
I belong to Texas CHL forum there are problems with getting CHL's processed in the 60 day time period IIRC if you apply online the process goes faster

#19 ·
I guess I will start the renewal process in December so that I can have it back before April then. IIRC it has to be within 6 months of the expiration doesn't it?

#20 ·
I think I heard somewhere that in Vermont there is no such thing as a gun license or permit to carry firearms, so you can carry as you please, whether you are from out of state or not. VT is the way America was in the 1850s. No testing for marriage licenses either. No blood tests. I guess they figure that if you don't know what you are doing, why should they intervene? Here in Mass it is up to the police chief of the town in which you live, and they are supposed to issue it unless for good cause, and you can take them up on appeal in front of a judge, but they decide initially, and it is by no means automatic. I have had mine 14 years now so the several renewals have been no problem at all.

#21 ·
When I lived in Texas, everyone had a gun so there were fewer problems there. Even with prohibitions against carrying without a license, a lot of people carried anyway, or if they did not, they certainly had a handgun in the car. That does a lot to deter would-be criminals.

#23 ·
I just talked to a buddy of mine who is a trooper and he said you can expect delays in processing righ tnow, as his wife works in the CHL office. They have actually had to hire extra office workers to deal with the increased demand. I heard a news report that said something like 52,000 apps had been put in since January.

Nothing like a gun-grabbing democrat during an election year to get everybody to "cling to their guns and religion"........

#24 ·
I just called them and they said mine is at imaging, which means I should have it in about a week or so.

I took my class in early March and sent off my app. and I got my PIN letter on 4/11.

So from the time they acknowledge my app (PIN letter) it took almost 3 months so far. That is not too bad from some of the times I have seen posted. I knew my background check would be fine as I have held security clearance before and my Brother is a Fed and we all had to be investigated by the FBI for him to get hired.

Its getting close :danceban:

#26 ·
#27 ·
Will any CO folks please let me know some of the more important information related to the differences with CHL laws coming from TX to CO? In particular, I wanted to make sure user RLJOHNS saw my question - or anyone familiar with CO really (open carry-friendly counties, where I can carry that differs from TX, and anything else with regard to reciprocity, etc.).

I also plan on getting my CHL here but not sure of a good place in Parker. Any word, please let me know. I'm also still carrying here with my TX CHL and am hoping there's not any issue with TX to CO reciprocity. Thanks.

#29 ·
I mailed my application in over four months ago and am still waiting to get my license here in TX! The process is ridiclously long here! For the last month when I checked on the status it just says the samething online" Processing Application", hope I get it before summer is over! TX DPS is so backed up on applications and where so undermanned that I would count on a license taking 120+ days.

#31 ·
I just checked with somebody that knows Texas CHL Law Backward and Forward,and he told me you can be a texas resident and carry concealed in Texas with a non resident permit from another state,usually florida or utah since they have the most reciprocity with other states,the one snag you run into is states that don't accept non resident permits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.