Elected Official Carry Laws in Missouri

This is a discussion on Elected Official Carry Laws in Missouri within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are some special conditions allowed for elected officials here in Missouri. Does anyone know if this extends to School Board Members who ...

Thread: Elected Official Carry Laws in Missouri

I know there are some special conditions allowed for elected officials here in Missouri. Does anyone know if this extends to School Board Members who make up the largest group of elected citizens?
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I believe... IIRC.... that elected officials get to carry in less places then regular citizens!

Just kidding! I have no idea about "special considerations!"

If I had to guess... I would say that is a myth!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Don't know the answere to your question but a good place to get and answer would be here.

MissouriCarry.com :: Index

Guys on there that has had a lot to do with get cc laws passed in the state and they keep up on the laws.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I think this will answer your question:

571.107. 1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(5) Any meeting of the governing body of a unit of local government; or any meeting of the general assembly or a committee of the general assembly, except that nothing in this subdivision shall preclude a member of the body holding a valid concealed carry endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm at a meeting of the body which he or she is a member. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    I think this will answer your question:

571.107. 1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(5) Any meeting of the governing body of a unit of local government; or any meeting of the general assembly or a committee of the general assembly, except that nothing in this subdivision shall preclude a member of the body holding a valid concealed carry endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm at a meeting of the body which he or she is a member. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
    Thanks. This was simply referred to by my class instructor and I had no definition. I appreciate you taking the time to look that up. I wonder if that was what he was referring to.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I would be REAL sure that school board members are covered before I stepped foot into a school with a sidearm...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Before you jump to conclusions and get all excited remember that the law applies only at the meeting. I think that this is a good law as if someone starts attacking at a meeting of school board, county council etc. the first ones they will probably attack is the board members. It does not permit a school board member to carry at all schools or even at any school but only while the board is meeting which usually is not at a school.

School boards are usually considered a local governing body which would be included in the above statute but about the only way to be sure is to carry it to court and be tried.

Missouri Revised Statutes
    Chapter 571
    Weapons Offenses
    Section 571.107

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

You'll need the consent of a majority of the board.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Sponsored Links