THEY GET IT! Why I Carry.

This is a discussion on THEY GET IT! Why I Carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well said Bud......I was about to wash the testosterone off my keyboard.....lol...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THEY GET IT! Why I Carry.

Well said Bud......I was about to wash the testosterone off my keyboard.....lol

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sorry - Off Thread Topic
    Last edited by QKShooter; October 18th, 2005 at 07:46 AM. Reason: OFF TOPIC

Ok well everyone can say "Evil is evil and you need to stop it at all cost" but [no offense] I think those people have lost sight of what it is to carry a legally concealed weapon in todays age. A aquintance of mine, Joel Fulton [he might even be on here], wrote a book called "The Right To Carry : An Awesome Responsibilty. I think this title rings true. We have all taken classes, courses, training for the purpose of carrying a pistol to protect outselves and our families. I don't think in the hours of my training was I instructed on how to step into a possibly dangerous situation and defuse it. THAT IS WHAT THE POLICE ARE FOR.

...WE ARE NOT THE POLICE.

I'm sure many anti-carry groups and legislation used facts like "Gun toting police wannabes trying to rid the world of crime" as ways to discourage pro-carry legislation.

Thank you for all the people out there who are responsible carriers and who support responsible actions of carrying concealed. It's people like us who keep our right to protect ourselves legal.

~d2
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Sorry - Off Thread Topic
    Last edited by QKShooter; October 18th, 2005 at 07:44 AM. Reason: OFF TOPIC

One more Warning to get off the Keyboard Commando stuff and keep the post on topic could a woulda and should a's dont apply here

As i said before its all fine and dandy to say i would have done this when you werent even there we dont know the whole story just what the media presents it as.. Sure i feel bad for the guy but again guess what i wasnt there and neither were you

Get the topic back on track

Administrator

Angry This Thread Topic - PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC !

This Thread Topic is about d2thomas and his family now understanding WHY HE carries a "personal protection firearm" so that he can defend HIMSELF - AKA HIS PERSON in the event that HE was ever outnumbered, "ganged up on" and attacked in a manner similar to the beat up student in the example story. They also stated that they wished that he had been home. There is no reason given why they wished he had been home. They may have wished that he was home because the area he lives in is no longer considered safe and they feared for his personal safety.
    There is no info given in his original post that they wished he were home so that he could go out and start shooting brawling students or breaking up gang related fights with his concealed carry firearm.

The Thread Topic is NOT about d2thomas and his family being happy that he carries a firearm so that "had he been home" at the time the above incident occured - he could have/ should have - run out the door of his apartment and start "blowing away" fighting college stutents who were "going at it" in his apartment front yard!
    Keep this thread On Topic or it is going to get closed and locked down.
    Last edited by QKShooter; October 18th, 2005 at 08:07 AM.

Administrator

Post addition

Nobody knew that the fighting men were unarmed just because they were fighting and not shooting at the time.
    Nobody (at the time) even knew that they were students.
    They could just as easily have been 6 convicts that escaped from the State prison & 5 of them could have been beating on the Sixth one because he was the dirty rat that refused to shoot the prison guard on the way out.
    Nobody knew anything at the time this incident was happening & it's impossible to Monday Morning Evaluate what anybody could have done or ought to have done at the exact time of the incident.
    There is not enough critical information given either in the newspaper story or the original thread post....even IF that was the thread topic...which it is NOT. So...nobody can say what d2thomas should have done or exactly what they would have done.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    There here. (the BG's are everywhere, but until the sheeple see them or get hurt by them, they live in denial or convenient oblivion) But I mean the cats, the 80-100# mountain lions, are here. The wife spotted one crossing the road going into our place. Two weeks ago the neighbors had one sitting on their ROOF. Now they understand why I carry. No longer am I a cannon carrying crazy in the country. Now they ask for the reassurance of my carry. I guess things have to get up close and personal before the light goes on. Now the spouse wants to carry (YES!!) when she goes out to the hen house. Now if I could only get her to the range...
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

A couple things that come to my mind is, first a beating can result in permanent damage or death by the time the police show up. Second, what if the person being beaten is my wife or child? Would I want everyone to stand around and hope someone calls the police? Especially if I have the means to interviene and stop the attack? This is not macho because I am not big and tough. It's just the way I was brought up. I would have to try and help the victim.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Most people don't get it until it happens to them. Just like most people don't get preparing for bad-case scenarios until something bad happens. By then - it's always too late.

My father in law criticized me last year for stocking up on kerosene and kerosene heaters for the coming winter. He couldn't fathom the lights not coming on when he flipped the switch. He changed his mind when last year, during Christmas, we had a major ice storm and the power was out for nearly 6 days in below freezing temperatures.

Physical preparedness...mental preparedness is all we have to go on when we react to a situation. We all hoope we were righteous but depending on what we do it may take months or more to determine if we were right.
    talking and thinking these kinda situations out in this kind of medium is as best as most of us can do.
    the chances of 'most' of us ever 'needing' to use, much less pull, our weapons is hopefully very slim since we are surrounded on all sides by the slippery slope of legal and moral issues.
    we may practice drawing, shooting over and over but when it comes down to the mental aspects of "when" to apply our training its almost impossible to train that angle.
    this past weekend i witnessed a domestic type dispute between a daughter and her mom, both close friends, i've been rethinking it over and over since that saturday night. i was standing right in the middle of it (just me, none of my family) it was inside my house, they were screaming at each other. i simply walked away. was not gonna interject myself at that time. seemed the wisest action at the time. had fists flew then that'd been different, its in my house i'da been forced too react. well since then i've been beating myself up over not trying to calm/difuse the situation. did i do the right thing? should i have seperated them immediately? i just don't know. no fists flew and it difused itself. maybe i did the right thing by backing up and observing but i just can't help but wonder that if things had 'gone bad' i had the chance to stop it beforehand.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Assistant Administrator
    Solo - from your decrip' I'd say backing off and ''leaving them to it'' was correct.

You would still have been able to monitor the level of altercation from a ways off and then had things got dangerous - stepped in. I don't favor intervention at that early stage as somehow folks have to work things out even if they holler a lot!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wow! That was a really powerful article you cited.

People may finally get why you carry when they are family and close friends. But when you don't know them...it is a real shot in the dark as to whether they will get it even if they are in a situation in which they SHOULD be glad that you carry.

It is good when our family & close friends do get it!
    fowler.family@verizon.net

Close But No Cigar

Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    Well for the longest time my friends and girlfriend were always like "Why do you want to / need to carry a gun?" They thought it was an attempt at trying to be all macho and the like. Well just the other day this happened in in my front yard.. One of the pictures is an actual shot my balcony. I was coming home from work around 2 in the morning when I rolled up on the police scene and was shocked at what I saw. Aparently my girlfriend, friend and his wife all saw this take place. We used to live in such a nice little college community but in the last few months, it's all gone to crap.
    I walk in the door and my girlfriend hugs me and says "Now I know why, I so wished you would have been here....."
    Here I must disagree. If this had happened "On My Property", I would have gotten involved. Had it been across the street, I am on the 911 line. To me it is a matter of responsibility, "My Property, My Problem"

Last edited by jmiked; October 24th, 2005 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked
    Here I must disagree. If this had happened "On My Property", I would have gotten involved. Had it been across the street, I am on the 911 line. To me it is a matter of responsibility, "My Property, My Problem"

EXCEPT, as he pointed out in a later message, it's not exactly his property, since it's an apartment building.

I like to think I might have jumped in. But in thinking it over, I think my best move would have been to get my camcorder and start recording. Of course, I'd also yell out "SMILE!! YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMCORDER!!!"

But that's just me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links