My bad day at the range.....

This is a discussion on My bad day at the range..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About six years ago I was at the public range (beech fork) near Huntington WV. I was working up a load for a new rifle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My bad day at the range.....

VIP Member

Exclamation My bad day at the range.....

About six years ago I was at the public range (beech fork) near Huntington WV. I was working up a load for a new rifle so I was spending a bunch of time there. About 4 days a week 1 to 2 hrs a day. I got to know most of the "regulars" that shot there often.
    My bad day starts when two Arabic fellows set up at the bench next to me. I was next to last, and they were last on the left of the firing line. What followed was simply too amazing for words but I'll try to give you most of the details. Instead of calling for a clear to post targets these two guys just threw a couple of shot shell boxes about 8 feet in front of me and commenced to fire. One guy was shooting an AK 47 and the other guy had a old Winchester pump shotgun (at first). They just started hosing the place down, the second guy went through all his 12 gauge ammo and then started in with his ak-74 (I think thats what it was, it had the orange plastic mag).
    These guys went through about five hundred rounds (semi auto) shooting up and down, and left to right across the firing line. I'm sitting in a brass rain shower, and clumps of mud are flying around from hits 6 or 8 feet in front of me and everyone else. It was crazy, it was like something out of a bad movie.
    Then the "leader" kid (the other guy spoke no English)gets out a 300 wby mk5 with just scope rings on it and starts firing (sighting through the empty rings). But instead of sitting and shooting he starts from about 10 feet behind the benches, runs up jumps onto a bench seat and shoots letting the recoil push him back off the bench. I'm watching this, speechless, as he does this about 8 times.
    I'd totally stopped shooting and was just looking for a chance to leave. My problem was that I didn't want to leave my targets behind. They represented many hours of work and I wanted to get them ( you hand loaders know what I mean). I was definitely not going down range though, so I had to sit and wait.
    The worst part of all this is I didn't have my ccw weapon with me, so if they had turned on the other shooters and I , I was toast. I left a .308 round in the rifle chamber and waited it out, hoping for the best.
    Finally two coutny Sherriffs deputies came to shoot and these guys calmed way down and started packing up. I got my targets and got out of there. I didn't say anything to the really old and fat deputies for the obvious reasons, but I did copy their plate # and make and turned it into the FBI (my next door neighbor was an agent), and the state police 9 (located on my way home). About two weeks later my buddy thanked me on behalf of the local FBI anti terrorism unit ( he was narcotics) and that was the last I heard of it.

I have never gone to a range without my ccw weapon again!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Note to Self:
    1. Keep local FBI Office and DHS Office numbers in my phones memory.
    2. Keep at least 1 gun ready at range.
    3. Learn to discretely use camera phone, may be useful in a pinch. (Never cared much for personal pictures, so this would be an issue.)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Sounds like you did us some good.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

This"public" range... was there ANYONE there who was an RO or was this just a walk-up-and-shoot place?

This sounds like a sot where I would probably not go to again if ther was no alternative but to wait until these morons stopped shooting. I go to a public indoor range once in a while here and I know the guys behind the counter. One word from me, or really anyone else about someone being unsafe on the firing line, and that person is gone.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    This was West Virginia which means no range officer if any kind. People have been killed at this range by thieves. I didn't know this at the time only after. i stopped going to this range and joined a club.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

A public range with no range officers?!?! Sounds like an accident (or accidents) waiting to happen.

Good call on the club. I hope to use my 'economic simulation' fundage to join the local club.

-JT

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Shame on you for profiling two recent immigrants to our fine country who were only trying to fit in by adopting perceived mountain man redneck personalities. Should have offered them a beer or perhaps some shine.

Or maybe not.
    BugDude likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Holy cow...I could only imagine what that must have been like... so they were just incredibly wreckless but no intent to harm? Those two concepts almost go hand in hand.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I'd have either said something to them from the word go about basic range safety and courtesy, or left.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Ok everyone. Lets just stop and think for a second. Rewind back a few years and consider this - Imagine this happening two days after 9/11.

The other people would have hit the ground and commenced firing on these guys. There wouldn't have been anything left of them. :)

I am convinced that some people have two brain cells left and one is waving bye-bye to the other. It's the main reason why that:

" The more I know about people, the more I love my dog ".

Chris

With that kind of disregard for safety and other shooters it sounds like they were looking for a confrontation. Good job keepin' yer cool!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC 1975 View Post
    Ok everyone. Lets just stop and think for a second. Rewind back a few years and consider this - Imagine this happening two days after 9/11.

The other people would have hit the ground and commenced firing on these guys. There wouldn't have been anything left of them. :)

I am convinced that some people have two brain cells left and one is waving bye-bye to the other. It's the main reason why that:

" The more I know about people, the more I love my dog ".

Chris

Summer of 02 or maybe 03. There is allot more crazy behavior to the story but you guys got the highlights.

Wow. That's probably the craziest range story I've ever heard. If that ever happened here, I'm sure the range master and everyone else would have taken them into citizen's arrest at gunpoint.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    That is what happens when there is no RSO.
    +1 for member only clubs.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My bad day starts when two Arabic fellows set up at the bench next to me. I was next to last, and they were last on the left of the firing line.
    It is my fondest wish that all Arabs, especially muslims around the entire planet shoot with that level of skill and awareness

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Should have offered them a beer or perhaps some shine.
    And some tasty American pork BBQ.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links