Limited concealed carry law/rights?

This is a discussion on Limited concealed carry law/rights? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm new to this site which I have found some great reading. Anyhow I live here in Illinois and know that we have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited concealed carry law/rights?

Limited concealed carry law/rights?

Hello all, I'm new to this site which I have found some great reading.
    Anyhow I live here in Illinois and know that we have some of the most restrictive laws in the country Anyway, I found this link
    Carry Legal in Illinois
    and wonder what you all think of it or if you have had any experiences with limited conceal laws.
    I know it's not like what most of you have in your states but it sounds like the next best thing for me I guess.
    Thank's for any replies...Bill D>

2. Remove Ads

My favorite sentence for situations like this - "test cases are for other people!" Follow the advice given on that web page at your own risk, and if you do, make sure you have the number of an excellent attorney that you've already consulted with, and are confident will argue your case well! You may never need to call him, but you darned well better have him available if you need him...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I'd be real careful about this, depending on where you are in IL(out in the country the officials are probably not as concerned,but Chicago,different story). If a bunch of people get nabbed doing this, I have a feeling they'll try to tighten the law further. That goes without saying you may have legal problems.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Good replies guys,I do live in a rurual town west of Chicgo and one county west bordering cook(crook)county.They have had a bunch of new proposed laws in our state one because of a recent mass school shooting in nearby NIU,and several gang shootings in the city proper.I hardly go to the city thankfully.I think having the number to a reliable attorney is a great idea.

Tread slowly...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll agree with the others as to the legal problems that you're likely to encounter.

Beyond that though, an unloaded gun provides virtually no self-defense benefit.......especially when it's also enclosed in a box that is carried in a purse or fanny pack. I just don't see any benefit......

I'd have a good attorney lined up.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    It all depends on whether a concealed carry fanny pack is considered a case.

It DOES make some sense. If the statutes quoted are correct, you could carry a gun legally without a carry permit. Do they make really small gun cases? If so, I could see one in a large fanny pack being legal. But I'm not sure that an uncased gun in a fanny pack would be. It's really splitting hairs, and could be viewed either way.

I know that carrying a gun like that wouldn't be much help if you needed it immediately, but it would be much better than having it at home in the safe.

I'm not a lawyer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Or maybe a whole handful of it.

I read the accompanying news article....it would seem to me, that being in an extremely anti-gun area, it wouldn't take much for legislators there to close that supposed loophole. Once it catches on that more people are trying this, they would surely jump on the chance to tighten restrictions. But who knows, maybe pro-gun groups there could use it as a wedge, the foot in the door to make progress towards a real CCW law.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    looks like a pretty strong defense that can get you out of trouble should you be caught or forced to use your defensive handgun while transporting it. +1 on consulting an attorney first. In fact, I'd get confirmation in the form of a letter to the attorney general asking for his stance on this issue, and carry his response(in the unlikely event it is favorable) along with the firearm. At least you can prove due-dilligence

I would be extremely cautious like everyone else has already stated. My only advice to you is to hang in there, you will get concealed carry one day. I know here in Kansas it looked awful grim for a lot of years as other states in the nation got their concealed carry laws passed. Finally, almost two years ago and with a very anti gun governor I might add, we got our shall issue concealed carry law passed. Your day will come, you just have to be patient and support those who are fighting to get the great state of Illinois in line with the rest of the nation.

just move to a state like new york which has liberal pistol carrying laws

I wouldn't do it if I were you...

Quote Originally Posted by rapettitt View Post

Don't you mean "....a state like New York that is run by Liberals and has pistol carrying laws"?!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapettitt View Post
    Stop, stop..........my spleen!!!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links