Strange encounter at K-Mart

This is a discussion on Strange encounter at K-Mart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, new guy here. Just thought I share this story about a strange encounter I had in Montana a few years ago. I did not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange encounter at K-Mart

Strange encounter at K-Mart

Hello, new guy here. Just thought I share this story about a strange encounter I had in Montana a few years ago. I did not have a CPL and was not carrying at the time, although I did have a firearm available in my truck, as it was legal to do so there.

One night two of my friends and myself were at the local K-mart, near closing time. We were leaving the store without having bought anything, talking to each other and joking around as we left. As we were passing through the checkout stands, and without meaning anything by it, we all walked through different isles. There was a man standing in line at the counter who I immediately noticed was taking an interest in us. He looked really nervous and his eyes darted from me to the other guys and then back to me. I knew right then something is up with this guy because of his fidgety body language, but I blew it off and continued leaving the store, all along talking with my friends and trying to ignore it. We were just talking, smiling and laughing, so I did not understand why he was acting this way. It briefly passed my mind that this guy was planning on robbing the store or something and was not happy with our presence.

We made our way out to the parking lot and got into my pickup truck, and shortly after we were followed by the guy at the checkout stand. By this time I was explaining to my friends that there was something up with this guy, so of course we were all keeping an eye on him. He stared at us the entire time also, as he put his bags into his trunk and got in his white car. I then started to drive off, and of course was immediately followed by the other guy. At this point it was obvious he was trying to cause trouble. I circled around in the parking lot, and he followed me, then I drove into the gas station next door to the KMart, and he followed me still.

As he pulled up near me I rolled down my window (probably not the smartest, but we were in a public place with other people around, and with two other guys we felt fairly comfortable... We were young and bold) and yelled "What is your problem?" He then yells the same thing back to me. After some back-and-forth like this, he comes right out and tells us he is a Concealed Carry holder and was very concerned about our "suspicious activity" inside of Kmart. He said he was very alert to his surroundings and that we were the ones acting strangely, and he thought we were going to rob the store. He said he noticed that we each took a different route through the checkout isles, and thought we were surrounding him. I told him that I felt the same way about him, that we were doing nothing that was out of the ordinary (which I thought was obvious), and stated that I thought his actions and body language were overly paranoid, and with that kind of attitude, he is going to get someone hurt and be thrown in jail. Thats about how it ended, and we both drove off.

I understand the need for situational awareness, and I practice it every time I'm in public. But I thought his approach was way over the top. You can be alert and protective without being confrontational and paranoid. He was trying to play Mr. Cop, but came across as being a potential threat himself, especially when he began following us. And then, to come right out and tell us that he was carrying a concealed weapon. This was not meant to be a negative against CCW holders... But this IMO is an example of what NOT to do. In retrospect, I should have called the police, but we were younger then and didn't worry about things as much, and I don't think we had a cellphone.
    Last edited by Rifter; May 1st, 2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: fixed typo

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like this guy was an idiot. Following people around for no good reason is looking for trouble. The true CCWer will avoid trouble when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Sounds like this guy was an idiot. Following people around for no good reason is looking for trouble. The true CCWer will avoid trouble when possible.
    +1

Welcome from central Mississippi.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

+1 on "he's an idiot"

the purpose of CCW is to get yourself out of trouble if necessary, not to go and find it.

and welcome!

Sounds like the guy has got mental issues and never should have been issued a permit to begin with.

Number one on his list of mental issues is a severe lack of basic intelligence.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Sounds like the guy has got mental issues and never should have been issued a permit to begin with.

Number one on his list of mental issues is a severe lack of basic intelligence.

-JT
    Indeed, he very much came across to me as lacking a few brain cells. He even dressed the part, with black BDU pants and a OD green BDU jacket. When he stepped out of his car to talk to me, there was a moment when I thought it was 'game on', but as he spoke I realized that he was just plain stupid.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you described him as Mr. Cop. He felt empowered by carrying a gun and felt he was then the equal to any LEO out there giving him a false sense of invulnerability. If all of you guys had been armed robbers he would have been in serious jeopardy as it would have been three guns to one. LEOs call for backup and use superior numbers, weapons and tactics handling a potentially dangerous situation. His idea of being a one man army is going to get him into a situation where he is seriously hurt or killed!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    No doubt a real-live CCW badge holder...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Welcome to the forums. And, that guy might not still be with us these days, if he kept acting like that, and he saw that there were three of you, and did not see any criminal activity?
    There was a floor there that the elevator did not go all the way up to.
    But welcome to the forums.......

What a fool. Playing the cop/commando role because he carrys a CCW permit and giving us all a bad name. How does an idiot like this manage to complete his training and obtain a license to carry? These would be commandos do none of us any good.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    No doubt a real-live CCW badge holder...
    Dangit! You beat me to it.

Amazes me how some people believe their ccw permit should come with a superhero cape and a secret identity. I have actually gotten involved in LESS incidents, confrontations, walked away more from a fights, now that I ccw than I did before I carried. Every time a ccw holder interjects themselves into a situation, they bring a gun into an equation that may not have had a weapon prior to them intervening. What strikes me as odd is that he said he thought you were going to rob the store, yet when you left without incident, he STILL FOLLOWED you. If he thought you were going to rob the plave, and you didn't, why still harass you after the fact?
    Last edited by Jaystekan; May 1st, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    . Every time a ccw holder interjects themselves into a situation, they bring a gun into an equation that may not have had a weapon prior to them intervening. ?
    Bingo!! And putting your gun right in the middle of a fender bender or purse snatching incident means you're not in the thinking game and you have turned a low stakes game into a very, very high stakes game indeed. It always amazes me at how many posters on this forum believe that using your brain in this manner means you are less than a good citizen.

The guy was obviously a K-Mart Ninja. Not yet qualified to be a Mall Ninja.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

That is the worse kind of concealed carry badge, a K-Mart blue light special.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links