Defensive Carry banner

camping in Oregon

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  turbobore 
#1 ·
I'm a bit confused about when I'm allowed to carry while camping. Usually I go to camp sherman camping area outside of Sisters Oregon. The camping area I believe is a national park, but by my understanding the area outside of the campground (like if you cross the street of the campgrounds) is a national forest. So now I'm a bit confused, if I wanted to go mtn biking or whatever, I would have to have my firearm locked and unloaded until I got to the street? Then can load it and put it in a concealed/unconcealed holster? Also, what about fishing? The river is usually no more than 40 feet away or so from your camping area, once you get into the river is that considered national forest? This all just seems way too confusing, seems like you would have to load, unload, and lock up your firearm every 20 steps.

#2 ·
I would check with the state attorney general's office regarding concealed and open carry laws in that state. Normally, as you have surmised, in the national forest areas it is generally legal for you to possess a firearm as where the national parks it is not. State laws vary and while it is legal to possess a firearm while engaged in fishing or hunting here in Kansas it may not be in Oregon. I would also check with the park rangers office before I started to camp there. Remember though that all federal laws supersede state and local laws, while it may be legal in the state or local jurisdictions it will not be in the national parks.

#3 ·
I would agree. Within a very short distance or walk, you may be going in and out of permissible places to carry a firearm, and it is tough to know which is which.

#4 ·
Pay a visit to the local Forest Service District Ranger's office and buy a map. It will show all of the different land classifications.

#5 ·
Camp Sherman is a National Forest campground, not a National Park. In hunting season a lot of them fill up with hunters. That particular one is in Deschutes National Forest and if you have any concern contact their headquarters. Just google them and give them a call. As for Oregon State Parks: They are posted "No Firearms" but that does not apply to any one with a permit to carry. Relax, carry, and enjoy the Metolious!

#6 ·
BTW: A good source of info here in Oregon is "Oregon Firearms Federation" (oregonfirearms.org). The site has a good FAQ list and contact info for e-mail.
The carry law here is one of the best in the country as far as where you can carry. We can carry in bars, schools, churches, and most of the places that are off limits in a lot of states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.