Carrying at a Concert?

This is a discussion on Carrying at a Concert? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I'm unsure as to the Florida law on this, but I am going to a concert in late may, and I was wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying at a Concert?

Carrying at a Concert?

Hey everyone,

I'm unsure as to the Florida law on this, but I am going to a concert in late may, and I was wondering if we are allowed to carry at a concert? I know we are not allowed to carry at a sporting event, but I was unsure as to if a concert was the same "type" of event. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

"An armed society is a polite society"

My wife and I just saw Bon Jovi at the St. Pete Times Forum Sunday. My permit hadn't come yet, so I didn't carry, but Florida law doesn't seem to prohibit carrying at a concert. It does prohibit carrying at sporting events, though. Which is fine, because I never go to sporting events anyway.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    If ir is NOT specifically listed in State or Federal law, "Special Security Event" by Secret Service, etc... then No subdivision of the state may make it illegal.

If Alchahol is being served for consumption on the premises then you CAN NOT carry Legally. Gutmacher Guide Page 68.

However most concerts have metal detectors and Xray Scanners now days. If they find your gun at the entrance, they ask you to leave and you refuse then it is Armed Trespassing.

If you ask someone they will probably automatically tell you either NO, or "MY GOSH IT'S ILLEGAL" which means they will be looking anyway.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    If they have metal detectors, I wouldn't. Might be legal, but they could still not let you in. Otherwise, go ahead.

InspectorGadget, reread p68.

Here is a direct quote from 790.06(12): "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose". From my understanding of that and what Gutmacher says, is that you can carry in a restaurant or bar, but not AT the bar.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Thanks for all the help guys. I will just call the ampitheatre and seen what they say. I would hate to have a situation or accidentally commit a crime.

I saw Brook& Dunn/Alan Jackson @ the amphitheater and they had NO metal detectors,signage or checks for weapons. I felt silly leaving mine in the car but it was a looooong walk and didnt want to **** off my GF with missing 1/2 the show walking back. Concealed is con...

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy583 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I will just call the ampitheatre and seen what they say. I would hate to have a situation or accidentally commit a crime.
    Just don't blurt out, "I want to bring my gun to the concert". Phrase it in good taste; "The State of Florida has authorized me to carry a firearm. . . blah, blah, blah". Be careful, anybody ignorant person can say "no". I'd try to talk to the head of security. You need a good reason not to carry, not because some ignoramus thinks it's a good idea for you not to. Metal detectors could be a problem unless they are bypassed.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

If it's NOT a professional sporting event...I'd CCW
    I love Florida!

Stay armed...stay out of the sun...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just went to a concert last Tuesday and I decided not to carry
    My reasoning was that I was expecting to be standing in close quarters with a large number of people. I didn't want to be bumping into people, or have someone be able to grab it, or have it fall out (no thumb break).

I always do. But one time, they had metal detectors and I had to turn around and walk all the way back to my car and lock it in the trunk.

Another time, they had metal detectors and they did not find my pocket gun. So from then on I stated to only carry the Kel-Tec.

But, the last two concerts Iíve been to only have some one who would look in ladyís bags, and if you had a jacket on, they asked you to lift it and turn around, as they pat you down.

Again, they never found the pocket Kel-Tek 380.

Got to love Florida

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post

If Alchahol is being served for consumption on the premises then you CAN NOT carry Legally. Gutmacher Guide Page 68.
    Sorry, you need to read that section again. It only refers to that portion of an establishment that is primarily devoted to the sale of alcohol. Simply selling alcohol at the concert doesn't restrict your right to carry in any way.

No restrictions on a concert.

I carried at one last Friday. No problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    I just went to a concert last Tuesday and I decided not to carry
    My reasoning was that I was expecting to be standing in close quarters with a large number of people. I didn't want to be bumping into people, or have someone be able to grab it, or have it fall out (no thumb break).
    Smartcarry!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Missouri weapons offenses Section 571.107.16

(16) Any sports arena or stadium with a seating capacity of five thousand or more. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

Doesn't matter if it's a concert or sporting event it's illegal to carry in MO. if seating is past the limit.
    When I take the wife to watch the Royals lose it stays locked in the COM safe in the car but she always has a taser in her purse.
    No doubt it's different in other states
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    If they have metal detectors, I wouldn't. Might be legal, but they could still not let you in. Otherwise, go ahead.

InspectorGadget, reread p68.

Here is a direct quote from 790.06(12): "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose". From my understanding of that and what Gutmacher says, is that you can carry in a restaurant or bar, but not AT the bar.
    I agree, my thought on what gutmacher said, if they sell and can drink on the main seating area then it would be where the alcohol is sold and consumed. If there is a seperate bar are in the back of the concert then it would only apply to a bar area. I guess this goes to the setup of the area where the concert is held, how big it is, if they allowed drinks into the seating area at all. Is this a large bar with a stage, a small stadium, indoor or outdoor?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links