old man new ccw

This is a discussion on old man new ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My eyes don't focus well. In good lighting I can focus on the front sight (depending on which glasses or contacts) In poor lighting such ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old man new ccw

Cool old man new ccw

My eyes don't focus well. In good lighting I can focus on the front sight (depending on which glasses or contacts)
    In poor lighting such as at the range where I shoot every thing is blurry.
    My precriptions are up to date.
    I figure in a self defence situation it would happen too quickly and close for this to be much of a problem however it definitely inhibits my ability to enjoy practice at the indoor range.
    Any suggestions other than not going out at night would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I have yet to shoot at an indoor range with ideal lighting. Do you wear sunglasses when you're outdoors? I believe this helps sustain low light level vision. There is a supplement you can take to help with vision. It's geared toward shooters. I'll try and find you a link.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Are you having near focus or far focus problems? For near focus problems you might try night sights. Tritium based would probably be best as the energy source is the radioactive decay of tritium.

For far focus problems you might try a laser. I prefer Crimson Trace LaserGrips, but others are available.

What pistol do you have?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Is is vitally important that you practice point shooting!!! Most likely in a defensive situation, you are not going to put your sights on your aggressor. Set some targets up and practice shooting from 3', 6' and 9' away, so that you know how it feels (read accuracy).
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Ron
    As already stated, laser grips and point shooting practice at the distances a confrontation is most likely to happen.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Point shooting and laser sights.
    -Biker

Administrator
    Forget about the laser, learn to point shoot. The laser will tax your already over taxed eyeballs you will lose the more important focus that you do have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto is right. I think it's important that you learn the proper technique FIRST without relying on lasers. Bad habits can be formed early on that are hard to break, versus learning properly right out of the gate.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

A year or so ago, a group of my friends got together at an indoor range. We age from 45 on up to the 60's (I fall somewhere in between), anyway one of my friends is a ccw instructor and he had us shoot man against man with the targets starting at 25 yds while another manipulated the target mover to advance the targets toward us at the sound of a buzzer. Now I had just bought a S&W 686 with a 2" barrel and my eye sight is simular to yours. As soon as the buzzer sounded we both drew our firearms and started shooting, with the targets advancing rapidly toward us. I just raised my 686 and tried to aquire the front sight (at least I was hoping to anyway). Well (not to toot my own horn) I had placed all 6 shots in the in the head ( I was surprised also). After this we all talked about this and came to the conclusion that from my past training and experiance I was actually point shooting, so I believe what Linda said that it is important to to at least practice point shooting, because I believe it will take over in a stressful situation. I also use the BIG DOT sights on my semi-autos as this does help aquiring the front sight for worn out and tired eyes.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Before you write off the laser idea based on the ideas of others, I encourage you to order the free DVD offered by Crimson Trace--then make up your mind. Here's the link: Crimson Trace :: Shots In The Dark DVD
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I too have a simular issue. I have shooting glasses that allow me to see the sights clearly from 1ft to about 60ft. I put TFO's on. The front sight is GREAT in low light of indoors and the fiber really lights up out doors. I am not back to my 40 yr old eyes but I don't do too back with my 61 yr old eyes. I am back up to the 10 ten in local indoor matches. It is amazing what seeing the front sight can do to improve your hits.

You would be amazed at what you can hit when properly learning to point shoot. Muscle memory is developed and with the proper firearm, and enough practice, sights become an object of the past(not saying that sights shouldn't be there). Linda and Sixto are correct in what you should practice as this is what is going to help you the most.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Moderator
    To jump on the Point Shooting band wagon......

Learn the art of Point Shooting
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

appreciate all the info and suggestions. Also good to know I'm not alone. I am extremely near sighted since early childhood. Now (54) my arms are too short also.

I feel your pain...I have 61 year old eyes...learning to use just the front site helps...in dim light situations, I have found my night sights (or just the front 'night' sight to be useful)...
    Laser?...just helps to show you where you're shooting, but not something I would ever expect to use in a 'close up' situation...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links