WA Non-Resident Carry?

This is a discussion on WA Non-Resident Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does WA have any non-resident permits? I live in a State that it doesn't recognize for CCW and may end up traveling there frequently for ...

Thread: WA Non-Resident Carry?

WA Non-Resident Carry?

Does WA have any non-resident permits? I live in a State that it doesn't recognize for CCW and may end up traveling there frequently for awhile. May end up moving later and getting a regular license, but in the meantime?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    That's a tough one. Some thoughts.

1. Good resource: Handgunlaw.us
    2. Washington honors the following permits: MI, MS, NC, OH, OK, LA, UT, WA
    3. Utah is frequently mentioned as a good place to get a non-resident permit because you can do it by mail and so many other states honor their permit.

Good luck
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Would a non-resident UT permit work as a recognized WA permit? I would think only resident permits would be honored.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Would a non-resident UT permit work as a recognized WA permit? I would think only resident permits would be honored.
    Some states only honor a permit from a state in which you are a resident. Washington is not listed among them. Check out Handgunlaw.us for a good discussion of all these issues.
    Howard

Utah is recognized in WA

I used to have a Washington non resident permit. I got it from the Seattle Police Department back when you could get one without actually going to Washington - about 2001. But then Washington decided to recognize the Utah permit and I was covered, so I let the Washington permit lapse.

If I were you I would get a Utah permit instead of Washington. The Utah permit is good in a lot more places and will cover Washington as well. But it will take you at least 2 months to get the Utah permit, so you have to plan ahead.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I used to have a Washington non resident permit. I got it from the Seattle Police Department back when you could get one without actually going to Washington - about 2001. But then Washington decided to recognize the Utah permit and I was covered, so I let the Washington permit lapse.

If I were you I would get a Utah permit instead of Washington. The Utah permit is good in a lot more places and will cover Washington as well. But it will take you at least 2 months to get the Utah permit, so you have to plan ahead.
    +1

I'm a WA resident, scheduled to get my Utah permit through a class soon. It is good in far more states, even as a non-resident permit.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!
    Let us know what you decide and how it worked out.

Thanks
    Howard

VIP Member
    In answer to your question, yes, you can get a non-resident permit. If you don't live within the state, you can go to any issuing agency and apply there.

RCW 9.41.070
    Concealed pistol license -- Application -- Fee -- Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.
    The rest of the RCW cites the criteria.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Washington is a great state for non-residents that want to CCW. You can't apply by mail, but any police department or sheriff can issue the license. You will most likely have to pick it up in person, unless you find a very pro-carry agency. The west side is less gun friendly than the east side, but any agency should issue you a CPL without issue. Expect to wait 30 days for your paperwork to be processed.

If you are traveling to the Seattle area, I recommend the Kitsap County sheriff -- just a short drive across the sound.

By the way, Washington affords non-residents the same rights of carry as they do to residents. And, our constitution is very clear that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right that is about self-defense.

Just a quick addition. Washington recently agreed to recognize Missouri's CCW (Missouri recognizes ALL legal US carry permits). The only bad thing is you have to be a Missouri resident to get a Missouri CCW.
    "The world is a dangerous place not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert Einstein

Do you still have to get special 10-cards done for most states if you have digital prints on file with a state and/or an FBI UPIN file?

And why DON'T they recognize FL?

Do you still have to get special 10-cards done for most states if you have digital prints on file with a state and/or an FBI UPIN file?

And why DON'T they recognize FL?
    I had my fingerprints scanned and stored electronically by the sheriff's department when I applied for my CCW. Florida insisted that I had to get a 10-finger card done by a professional as they would not accept my Ohio taken prints. Go Figure.

I got a NH non-resident permit instead.
    Howard

I carry in WA with my UT permit every time I go.

Wink

I live in Idaho and have a Washington permit got it in Spokane only took 3 weeks to get.

Links