A parental judgement? - Page 2

A parental judgement?

This is a discussion on A parental judgement? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yes we have to disclose to the homeowner we are carrying. doesnt matter much since we tend to mingle with our 'kind' anyways....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A parental judgement?

yes we have to disclose to the homeowner we are carrying.
    doesnt matter much since we tend to mingle with our 'kind' anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    Gary...

wanna introduce me to your daughter?? :)

only kidding dude :)

--Jim

She's still a bit young for you - gimme a call in about 10 years.

Well......let's see. If he/she is all the way legal OK. If he/she has had or is getting training OK. Part of the answer to the question depends on the parents level of trust in the daughter/son's ability to use good judgement. By the time your offspring are old enough to carry or associate socially with someone who does, I figure they should have the ability to weed out the crazies. The real question is; shouldn't the person carrying have had the good judgement to inform you the parent that they were bringing a firearm into your house? Goes to good judgement/consideration on the part of the person carrying. I have a good friend who I know would be offended if I carried in his home, so I observe the protocol. (It's mainly his wife's influence, she's deathly afraid of guns and also fears knowledge I suspect.) Other friends know I carry and they don't mind because they understand.

Courtin'????

Chris,

You wrote, "...a young fella courting my daughter..." "Courting"??? "Fella"? You're showing our age!!! Dating these days ain't necessarily courtin'.

My daughter married and presented us with our first grandchild this year and as far as I know she never dated anyone who carries. I haven't faced this situation, but I still have more opportunities coming in the next few years with two sons and another daughter. Now I have yet another thing to think about and my feeble brain was already overtaxed.

Jim (firefighter4884),

If our military people live on post or on base, it isn't only the under 21's who can't carry at home. Regulations on every base and post I was stationed at in my 23 years in the Air Force prohibited keeping any firearms in barracks or family quarters.

Retirement is nice... I have my own acreage and can shoot on my property any time I want. No HOA rules and sensible local government.

Rick
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Assistant Administrator
    Haha Rick - I realized after posting that, heck - I am really showing my age using ''courting'' - oh my - old habits and word choices die hard at my time of life.

True - these days dating ain't necessarily courting
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ok here is my two cents.

Late this summer / early this fall [right after I got my ccw] the girlfriend and I, along with her whole family are enjoying a nice, short, and cold boatride on Lake St Clair, the last of the year before the boat is winterized. To make a long story short there was a disagreement between the GF's father and another idiot boater [we were not at fault] and the other driver ship-to-shored the harbor police. We followed the other boater into the police marina and were greeted by a few sheriffs. No one, not even my girlfriend, knew I was carrying but legally I was required to inform the sheriff. You can image what a rock and hard place I was in, not sure about her parents reaction. So I chime in instantly, letting the officer know I was legally armed and was currently carrying......dead silence....the officer [in light of the other boater's ranting and raving] asked to board and disarm me for the duration of the event. I gladly obliged and he came down and did so. [He also commented on my gun - it's was a very common police gun, when they used 9mm] After the situation was resolved he handed me my unloaded pistol and told us to have a great day. No one said anything to me.

...Later that night I ask my girl about the situation. She just replys, "Are you kidding me, my grandfather was a cop - they think it's great." In fact, her mother who is a tough nut to crack sometimes, confessed later she was relieved just in case that other boater [who was drunk] acted upon his threats. Ever since then I've had no trouble carrying around her family as they know the reason I carry is for the protection of myself and family, which hopefully one day includes them.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Chris,

There is nothing wrong with showing our age......at least that what my wife tells me...LOL. I like it when the folks I am around joke with me and my family about gettin the chores done so we can mosey into town and stop at the local five & dime to pick up some saspirilla and a licorice stick. Ahhh the old days and the old ways!!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Sasparilla
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    When my son reaches the age where he is dating women old enough to legally carry, I think it would be a positive if the young lady in question had a CCW. I would then politely engage her in conversation and let her know that she had "flashed" me (sorry, I couldn't resist), in much the same tone as you let a casual acquaintance know their pants zipper was unzipped. From there on out, I'd go through the same process as Chris.

The beter half is forever telling me to act my age, so 'courting' is just fine. I do not have a daughter but you can bet your sweet bippy that there'd be something very close to courting going on if I did. I consider it proper etiquette to tell someone whose home I've entered for the first time that I'm carrying and would appreciate the same courtesy. Especially from someone seeing my daughter, and that's what it all really boils down to. Respect and courtesy, regardless of what day and age it is.

If the boy is underage to be carrying I would definately have a problem with him. He is breaking the law, I don't want him near my daughter. If he was legally old enough I would ask questions about his permit status and his training. Most CCW permit holders are upstanding folks, but not all. The fellow may not even have a permit which once again means he is breaking the law in most states. I want to make sure he can safely handle a gun and is not a showoff that will play with the firearm thus courting disaster.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Well, I guess being 24 I'm just about the age that P95 is thinking about. There is no legal requirement (in AZ) for me to disclose wheter I am carrying when I enter private property and I don't. I'm engaged now, but I didn't mention anything about carrying until she figured it out for herself. (That was an interesting conversation...) The way I look at it, I don't tell most people I carry, why would I tell a girl's parents? I realize that we should respect our elders, but to me that just has to big a possibility for problems.

And Woodstock, sir, I'm so sorry that your daughter never dated anyone who carried. ;-) Also I have to ask, what did you do sir?

A1C Lickey

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Without letting on that I knew he was carrying I'd invite him to the range to see if he knew what he was doing. I'd probably do that even if I didn't think he was shooter. If he was competent and safe, and his attitude about firearms felt "right" I'd feel much better.

Don't have a daughter yet, but when I do she'll learn the basics, and hopefully be interested enough to take up the hobby, and CCW when the time comes. Hopefully she'll consider that an important thing for a serious boyfriend to do.

If my son brings home a girl who packs a pistol, I'll pat him on the back and consider my labors as a father to not have been in vain. Not to mention, girls with guns are hot. :)
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Hmmm... are you sure the law says he has to notify you, or merely that you can prohibit weapons on your property?

If you have to tell every private property owner, that's alot of "telling".

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    i'd ask the gentleman if he is familiar with the current law regarding concealed weapons. if he is, and he did not ask my permission to be armed while on my premises, then he has not followed the letter of the law.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

What did I do?

A1C Lickey, I have to assume your question asks what I did in the Air Force. Well, I was in the Electronic Security Command (ESC), which is now called the Air Intelligence Agency, for the entire time. So the standard answer is the time worn, "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you." My AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code, or MOS, or NEC) was 20772 (I know they've changed the way AFSC's are designated, but I don't keep up) and I retired as a Master Sergeant. I spent 10 years on Army posts, 7 years on Navy bases, and 10 1/2 years overseas. An interesting career. The overseas time prevented even owning a gun for most of my career, which ties in with another thread I was going to respond to. Germany, Japan, Italy, and Scotland don't much like guns, especially in the hands of foreigners, and most assuredly not in the hands of American GI's. And all that doesn't even include the People's Republic of Maryland (8 years!)

I started my second career even before the first one ended, because a family can't live on an enlisted man's pension. I've been both a technical trainer and technical writer for defense contractors since "retirement." Next time I retire it'll be for good.

Enjoy however much time you choose to serve and keep "my Air Force" an honorable profession.

Rick
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links