A parental judgement?

A parental judgement?

This is a discussion on A parental judgement? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A guy on THR posted this - in fact I'll quote close to original. Seemed like an interesting question to get feedback on and most ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A parental judgement?

Assistant Administrator

A parental judgement?

A guy on THR posted this - in fact I'll quote close to original. Seemed like an interesting question to get feedback on and most responses he got were about what I'd expect.
    Assuming they were both of an appropriate age, what would you or your sig other do/feel/say if you discovered your offspring's date had a CCW on them, and up until now, no one knew about it. For example, daughter's date takes off his coat when they come over to meet you, and he accidently flashes a pistol butt and doesn't notice, but you do. Would you mention it? Would you toss him out? Would you see it as responsibility or a sign of no good, etc?

I figure I already know how daddy would feel if his son brought home a girl that was packing.
    Far as I am concerned - I would have already I guess made some judgement of a young fella courting my daughter - and if comfortable with his attiude and demeanor would probably then like to know if he has a permit - solely such that I can know he is therefore ''clean'' - as in non-felon. Better still - be good to know up front he carries but hey - we all tend to keep that secret so why shouldn't a young guy also keep it to himself. Of course arguably too, as we say often - ''concealed is concealed'' and so he should not let himself be made but - many of us might just manage that anyways

If all things add up OK then I would have no problem with having the young man in my house and would actually feel my daughter was safer in his company than on her own - tho in fact she will I hope also have her own CCW soon as she turns 21.

My final wish would be that said young man should have had some demonstrable training such that he is proficient and so acceptably safe, as against a ''macho carrier''!

Oh and I'd also impress on him if all else added up well - that he should remember to always where possible get heck outa Dodge and avoid trouble like the plague! Plus make sure he is alert.

If he passes this scrutiny then he's fine
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The question itself seems kind of silly. The presence or absence of a gun on one's person tells you nothing about their judgement or other qualities.

Assistant Administrator
    True Euc but as a parent even of a young adult, I take it to mean how would someone decide whether to feel at ease or not. Allow the guy into your home etc.

I have made mention of the parameters I would apply - all geared to establishing such things as judgement and other qualities, as best one could assess.
    Chris - P95

Interesting topic...
    I have 2 teenage daughters...17 & 19...
    Considering the quality...or, as you say, attitude and demeanor...of the dates and boyfriends they've had, I wouldn't have an objection to one carrying. They've been fine young men, if not always...mainstream...
    ( I have smart girls )

I would be concerned if the guy wasn't old enough, but I wouldn't forbid them to go out with them...not that it would do much good...
    (I have independent girls )

Lead Moderator
    Not that I have kids anywhere close to dating age, but as long as the person was legally carying and appeared responsible, why worry? My girlfriends folks probably don't know I am packing, but I doubt it would matter.

i'll never have kids, but hey why not play along? hehe.

i'd ask the gentleman if he is familiar with the current law regarding concealed weapons. if he is, and he did not ask my permission to be armed while on my premises, then he has not followed the letter of the law.

basically i'd just bust his chops about it. unless he was someone i didnt like my daughter seeing. then i'd put all my years of studying up on advanced martial arts as sold in magazines like Soldier of Fortune, SWAT, American Handgunner, etc, to good use and disarm him in .0342175 seconds like the ads said i'd be guaranteed to be able to do. then i'd give him a dash of chloroform and drop him off 100 miles from home with nothing but a dull knife and 3 feet of para cord. if he can make it back in one piece then i'm sure i can trust him.

i cant tell if i'm jonesing for another sugar fix or if i'm still riding the last one...

Assistant Administrator
    i cant tell if i'm jonesing for another sugar fix or if i'm still riding the last one...
    I'm not sure either Spiffy

Seriously - are you saying in AK it is law that you have to ask/notify before entering a domicile carrying - like in SC?
    Chris - P95

Wait's wait a minute. If we're going to complain about the individual your child is seeing having a CCW, doesn't that apply to us? How would we react if we go to a friend's home and they notice our pistol?

Assistant Administrator
    dpesec - I think this is geared toward relatively - the young folks.

If we visit a friend's house then in part - concealed is concealed and, if they are genuine friends then probably no harm, no foul. And you'd probably know if they were broadly pro or anti etc. Not quite same IMO tho I see why you raised it.
    Chris - P95

I'm with dpesec. Just seems like a dumb consideration to make. What if he's an overstuffed macho monkey who's terminally unemployed who carries a large knife everywhere? Or a sock and a roll of quarters for that matter? How will a gun really matter?

Honestly, when I first started the process to get a CCW, I had delusions that some people who knew me would seriously freak. The truth is no one who knows me and has business knowing I carry really cares. When I started they really didn't care. I could stop tomorrow and they wouldn't care. My parents think it's a good idea, but they don't define me as some guy with a CCW license, I'm their son. IMHO, this indifference towards an armed person is the reaction of a rational individual.

You have to consider the context in which somebody arms themselves, not just start tossing out blanket judgements because they own something or carry something on their person.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Not that I have kids, but I could be put in the situation of the young gentlemen mentioned above.

I think it comes down to a trust issue, and a comfort issue. If the young man is responsible enough to carry a firearm, and is carrying it for the right reasons, then there should be no problem.

For instance, there are many people my age (21) who are responsible enough to carry a firearm. There are also many people my age who aren't responsible enough to carry a firearm.

Personally, I know people who are 18, and a few that are 16 that I would be comfortable having armed in my house, if they so chose, and if it were legel. These are kids with good heads on their shoulders. On the other hand, I know people in their 30's who I wouldn't trust near a firearm, let alone in my house with a CCW.

Just my opinion.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    I hear ya JIm - true enough - it ain't all about just age.

Euc - I see partly where you are coming from but one place that ain't is as a parent - and I think perspective from that angle may be a tad different. Protective instinct I think we call it - and so maybe the wrong guy with CCW courting daughter, might make a parent just a tad nervous
    Chris - P95

Howdy!

Well, IF he survived the first interview process and ACTUALLY had the opportunity to date my daughter, then I'd be pretty certain that he would be responsible enough to carry a concealed firearm. The only thing left would be to take him out to the range and make sure that he can actually shoot. If so, he gets to date my daughter and (maybe) gets a free holster.
    If not, she'd probably dump him for bein' a poser anyway.

Gary...

wanna introduce me to your daughter?? :)

only kidding dude :)

--Jim

Chris,

I guess in some respects I look at it like this. I hate NJ because at the age of 18, I'm allowed to run into a burning building, and pull someone out. Or, I'm allowed to respond on an ambulance as an EMT, and make decisions about someones medical care that may or may not save their lives.

But, I'm not allowed to protect myself with a firearm. In fact, I'm not even allowed to own a pistol until I'm 21. Now, granted that I may be the exception, (and usually it seems like I am), but how does this make sense. It also bothers me that men and women in uniform are not allowed to carry concealed when home (even if they live in most shall issue states), unless they are over 21.

It comes down to, it's the person's experiences, and not the person's age that causes maturity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links