Pro's and Con's of CC

This is a discussion on Pro's and Con's of CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the junkyard today. I had my 357 snub-nose on. While I was taking off some parts someone stole my toolbox. It happened ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and Con's of CC

Distinguished Member

Pro's and Con's of CC

I went to the junkyard today. I had my 357 snub-nose on. While I was taking off some parts someone stole my toolbox. It happened in less than 5 mins. right behind my back. I ran as fast as I could to the checkout and told them to watch out for my toolbox. I went back in the yard and found them 2 rows from where I was working in a guys wheel barrel. Then the argument began , my set has about 135 pieces , he had dumped them into a wheel barrel. I had to put all those sockets back in place while we were cussing each other. His buddy showed up shortly , but didn't get into it , he just watched me. If I didn't have on my revolver either him or me would have got there butt kicked . So is carrying a pro or con I would have loved to have whipped his butt , I am still fuming. What would you do?
    I am on probation for putting in a letter with some blanks following so butt is the best I can say , but it ain't strong enough words for this.
    Last edited by redrick; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: uneeded racial remark

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Are you saying that you didn't get into a fight by your choice, knowing that you were carrying, or that a fight was averted because the other guy found out you were carrying? I'm thinking it's the first one, but it had me confused for a bit.

Even without a gun, I prefer not to fight. Yeah, there I times I would love to kick someone's butt, but (I just said butt but hehe) I have always kept my head. It's usually better that way.

Besides, if you weren't carrying and decided you wanted to fight him, his buddy probably would have decided to get involved at that point. And being in a junkyard? Too many makeshift weapons laying around for my liking.

And you don't need any problems with the police. Unless you had a receipt for those tools, they could have just said you stole them. Sure you told the guys in the office someone had taken your tools, but anyone could decide they like someone's toolset and run to the office to report them stolen. I'm not saying this would happen, I'm just saying it could happen. LEO's would have to investigate both sides. And it's your word against theirs as to who started the fight. You don't need to lose your CHL.

What would I do?

Keep my toolbox locked and within my direct sight because tools are like loose diamonds and dollar bills, valuable and hard to track once 'lost'.
    Upon locating the thieves I'd have dialed 911 for backup rather than hope that I don't have to shoot a son of a female dog toward defending myself in recovery of my stolen property.

My freedom > Human life > *.mfr. tools

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You ought to get a steel die and stamp your initials on all 135 pieces!

at least in Ohio I can say we that ccw have a higher level of responsibility. that means no giving the guy that just cut you off the finger, or break checking the guy up your butt in your car.... all things, that if escalated, would put you on the wrong side of the law. I have a friend that won't carry or get a ccw "because I can't control my temper." I chose long ago to control my temper, loose some little battles and possibly, some day, be able to defend my life or a loved ones.
    Ego is not an option.

Yes, in the future it would be a good idea to keep aware of your surroundings and keep your "toys" in sight at all times. Hard way to learn a lesson.
    Honestly I probably would have responded in a similar way if I was caught off guard.
    Not fair but it reminds you there are evil people everywhere. And taking something that doesn't belong to you because you think you deserve it or because someone was "stupid" enough to leave it unattended is an evil persons way of thinking.

It is more than just a petty theft...but someone IS NOT just walking away with my tools.

I'm an old man, I don't like to fight...I am taking my tools back to my car...please don't threaten me with your friends present.

I will be calling 911 in front of you...please don't try to stop that call.

Taking my tools from my person under a 'threat' goes from theft to robbery...please don't do that!

This world is in the toilet, and the legal system is just about ready to push the 'flush' handle...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Yeah I didn't get into a fight with him because I was carrying , so I guess it keep me out of some trouble and in a week I will forget about it . Get real Jank it was right behind me I was was under the hood . My case has my name on it and I have a picture of it and all of my valuables for insurance .

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    My case has my name on it and I have a picture of it and all of my valuables for insurance .
    That is just what you need for situations like this. What did this idiot say when you pointed out your name on the box that he said was his?

Distinguished Member
    He said it was just laying there so he picked it up. But he dumped the hole box in the wheel barrel , if he would have tossed the case I wouldn't have recognized it . I guess crooks just aren't to smart.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I guess crooks just aren't to smart.
    If they were, our prisons wouldn't be full.

Yet one more place I do not go anymore.

Junkyards here in Denver is like crossing the southern border, and if you can find a place to park within 3 city blocks you got lucky.

Good decision on not getting into a confrontation, and lucky that the "Buddy" did not get involved.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I would have called 911 and reported the felony theft.

And yes, I agree with you sometimes itís hard to keep from opening a can of WA, but unless youíre defending yourself, you could be charged with battery. For me the idea of paying an attorney $3,000 just to represent me in a police investigation, keeps me from it.

Glad you got your tools back

Distinguished Member
    Wow, who would of thought that you would have to stand on your tool box while working to prevent a theft. One could imagine not letting your tool box out overnight, but in broad daylight while you were using them.

One way to look at the situation that will help is that YOU CHOSE not to fight, it makes it easier when you realize it was your decision to either do or not do something-you have the control.

Here in NE if the police were called, it is possible that you would have got your tools back in about 8 weeks after the trial, they may have kept them for evidence, so you can get screwed twice. Has happened to me, had something stolen from work, they found it, and I told them I needed it to work, i was told if they give it back they would not press charges.

All in all you could have turned out worse, and yes CCW does make you keep your head on straight.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I have a quick temper and I don't put up with idiots easily,so when I carry almost 24/7,I have to watch what I say and do because I can't afford to escalate the situation.My wife says when I carry I am calmer than I used to be.sj

I am glad that you were able to get your tools back. Thank goodness that no one had to get hurt. Having said that, bringing buddies into the equation is where I would draw the line. Being threatened is one thing, being outnumbered and threatened is another. I probably would had my hand on my gun at that point, but that is just me being middle aged and in no shape or mood to fight two or more.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links