First Police Pull-over

This is a discussion on First Police Pull-over within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Woohoo! Pulled over by the police for the first time since I started carrying! Wait...that's a bad thing... Anyhow... Got hurt and bloodied up during ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Police Pull-over

First Police Pull-over

Woohoo! Pulled over by the police for the first time since I started carrying!

Wait...that's a bad thing...

Anyhow...

Got hurt and bloodied up during my training class. Wasn't paying attention to the speed on my way home to clean out my wounds. Got caught speeding...clocked at 45 in a 30. Though it isn't required, gave the LEO my license, permit, and registration. All he did was ask if I was carrying at the moment. I answered in the affirmative, and his response was merely, "Okay, just sit tight," before he left to run my stuff.

Few minutes later, he comes back...I notice his partner came up on my passenger side door. Perfectly understandable safety precaution. Got my ticket...he was nice enough to give a bleeding man a ticket for only going 6mph over rather than 15. I am definitely not complaining.

Actually pretty uneventful.

-JT

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Sorry about your luck.

Every time I've been pulled over for speeding the officer reduced the ticket to a lower speed. Now I don't have a ton of experience, I've only been pulled over 5 times for speeding in 22 years, and one of those was BS.

And I wasn't even bleeding. If you were bleeding pretty bad, I would think that some officers might have had more sympathy, and maybe even offered you a band-aid.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I have prematurely white hair. Ever since it turned white I've not received a ticket when I was stopped. I think they don't want to give a ticket to their grandfather.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Woohoo! Pulled over by the police for the first time since I started carrying!

Wait...that's a bad thing...

-JT

Congratulations! or I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm not sure which is appropriate?

I'm sure in Florida the Police see more people carrying than any other state, and I'm sure they would rather deal with someone that is legally carrying, rather than one who is not legally carrying.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Sorry about the ticket...but I guess you got off pretty easy...tickets aren't cheap now-a-days, either...

I've only had one ticket in the last 15 years...darn that Harley

I have to agree though, FL cops don't seem to get too excited about CCW'ers...

Stay armed...slow down...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about all your woes... glad you got a little break though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

next time you may want to state (only if true) officer I have a clean license and would like to keep it that way do you think you can see you way thru giving me a warning. Nice to give you a break on the 15 mph. Here in Nassau County (part of Long Island) you get to go to court and then let make a deal starts. They have no idea that the LE already reduced it so a ticket like you would walk out with a equipment violation (No points) just a reduced fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    next time you may want to state (only if true) officer I have a clean license and would like to keep it that way do you think you can see you way thru giving me a warning. Nice to give you a break on the 15 mph. Here in Nassau County (part of Long Island) you get to go to court and then let make a deal starts. They have no idea that the LE already reduced it so a ticket like you would walk out with a equipment violation (No points) just a reduced fine.
    Well, the ticket was written for 36 in a 30, but he DID put in the notes section that the actual was 45 in a 30. While giving me my options on how I could handle the ticket, when he mentioned the option for me to fight it in court, he did say he would 'amend' the ticket to the actual violation, should I decide to do so.

I don't think I'll be fighting it in court

-JT

Pulled over by the police for the first time since I started carrying!
    You're kinda young aintchya? How long have you had a driver's license? Maybe your first time period, with or without a CCW? I can tell by your excitement actually.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how much did a 6-over ticket cost you? Do you know if your insurance rates will go up because of this?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I'm constantly thinking about what I'll do when I get pulled over with a CCL. Hasn't happened. I actually asked the Sheriff's office for the heck of it when I was turning in the paperwork, and they said that officers will really appreciate it if you just hand them the license and CCL permit. They also said it's a courtesy to keep both hands clearly on the wheel because when an LEO first glances at your CCL, there can be be little bit of uneasiness -- because they never know what they're heading into when pulling someone over.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You're kinda young aintchya? How long have you had a driver's license? Maybe your first time period, with or without a CCW? I can tell by your excitement actually.
    Nope. You're wrong.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how much did a 6-over ticket cost you? Do you know if your insurance rates will go up because of this?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Ticket is going to be $91.50. Could have been closer to $200. If I take the 'driving improvement' course, which I can do online (wish I could've done that years ago), points will not be assessed and my insurance company will not be notified, so my rates won't go up. I'll be taking the dang course.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Ticket is going to be $91.50. Could have been closer to $200. If I take the 'driving improvement' course, which I can do online (wish I could've done that years ago), points will not be assessed and my insurance company will not be notified, so my rates won't go up. I'll be taking the dang course.

-JT
    $100 and a few hours of your time sounds like a reasonably good deal. Hope I'm as lucky if caught doing 15 over

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    I'm constantly thinking about what I'll do when I get pulled over with a CCL. Hasn't happened. I actually asked the Sheriff's office for the heck of it when I was turning in the paperwork, and they said that officers will really appreciate it if you just hand them the license and CCL permit. They also said it's a courtesy to keep both hands clearly on the wheel because when an LEO first glances at your CCL, there can be be little bit of uneasiness -- because they never know what they're heading into when pulling someone over.
    FL permit holders are not required to inform law enforcement. I did so as a courtesy. I'd rather he know about my pistol in advance instead of him finding it on his own. I tried to keep still w/ both hands on the wheel, but I had all sorts of aches and pains working, as well as an arm that looked like a cube steak that burned like crazy.

Lesson: do not demonstrate Tueller Drill distance closing on pavement with steel-toe workboots. These boots were NOT made for running.

And gravity works.

As I recall, he didn't even get a good look at my permit, at least when he was at my window. The permit was under the driver license, with a chunk of the permit's corner peeking out. As soon as he saw that, he asked if I was currently carrying. Didn't seem stressed or freaked out. He calmly asked, I calmly answered, and I eventually got my ticket and went about my way.

At the speed limit.

-JT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links