Question about Louisiana and age

This is a discussion on Question about Louisiana and age within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently 18 years old and I have a Glock 22 .40 that I bought from a friend. From what I understand at 18 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Louisiana and age

Question Question about Louisiana and age

I am currently 18 years old and I have a Glock 22 .40 that I bought from a friend.

From what I understand at 18 in la, I can buy the gun from my friend since its a "private" sale and not from a FLA.

So could I get the papers in my name?

Right now everything is in his name.

Also, our state law is 21 for concealed license.

I have my local sheriff who is going to get me a concealed license at my age because I know him. He says that I can say that I got it at 18 because of my dangerous job and because of the amount of money I make. A little job info..... I'm an Engineer for a major rap group called Trill Entertainment which includes lil'boosie, webbie, foxx and more.

So I'm always in a dangerous position when I go to work.

Even if he gets the license for me would I be in some trouble if say I get caught outside of my parish where I don't know the sheriff even though I have the license at 18?

I also travel to Mississippi a lot. Would they allow that since I have a valid license at only 18?

Just trying to make sure before I get in any trouble. I know I will be ok in my parish, but not sure any where else and when I ask him, he just says that there are certain situations to allow the license at 18.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Ads

In Mississippi you can legally carry a gun in your vehicle at the age of 18. I would think that if your permit is issued legally, then you should be o.k. wherever you go in your state. You should also be o.k. in other states that have reciprocity with your home state. You would just need to know what that states laws are about places that are off limits.

Also, Welcome from central Mississippi.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Thank you deadeye!

And about the buying the gun. What do I need to do to make the gun legally mine? I just paid him the money and that was all!

So basically, you can get the license legally at the age of 18 if you know someone. If you don't know anyone, there is no way to get it?

Sounds like la LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Anty506 View Post

And about the buying the gun. What do I need to do to make the gun legally mine? I just paid him the money and that was all!
    Not sure about that. Maybe you could ask the Sheriff that is getting you your permit if you need to do anything.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Not sure about that. Maybe you could ask the Sheriff that is getting you your permit if you need to do anything.

I read something about I could buy a gun from a private seller but not a FLA.

Here is the qutoe

There is really no such thing as a legal "unlicensed dealer". If your STATE laws allow it, you may purchase a handgun from a private seller (not an FFL holder) at 18.

Same with permit laws. TX, for example, does allow under 21 permits in certain very limited cases.
    and another

That is true here in TX. From 18-20, you cannot buy a handgun from a licensed FFL, but you can legally own one...
    and one more that the guy said something about la

In Louisiana you cannot buy at 18 but you can posess leagally but they must get the weapon from a private party that is not selling them the handgun.

Such as your parents giving you the handgun for protection of your home or vehicle or just to have in any case.

No go on the concealed carry though.
    and one last one!

Federal Law doesn't say you can't own/possess a handgun under 21. It just says that an FFL can't sell one to someone under 21. State law determines the age that one can own or possess a handgun. Some States are 21, others are 18.
    (If the State allows possession at 18, it means that the 18 year old can't buy from a FFL but will have to obtain the gun from a private party.)(In the same State.)
    The bit about the "Military" exemption is merely about carrying a handgun while performing official duties. In that case the handgun does not belong to the individual, but is issued by the military.
    As you can see, I'm searching around, I just don't know what to believe or where to really look.

I'd suggest you do a little more homework. Just from my 3 minutes of research, there appears to be a big difference between a parish permit and one issued by the state. And you may find that there is no reciprocity between other states and your parish permit.

For starters, go to handgunlaw.us

Also google the Louisiana legislature and review the gun laws.

And whatever you do, get that gun licensed quickly in your own name. If you get pulled over and they run a check on it and find out it's registered in somebody else's name, you'll be sitting in the cross-bar motel until your lawyer gets it straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    I'd suggest you do a little more homework. Just from my 3 minutes of research, there appears to be a big difference between a parish permit and one issued by the state. And you may find that there is no reciprocity between other states and your parish permit.

For starters, go to handgunlaw.us

Also google the Louisiana legislature and review the gun laws.

And whatever you do, get that gun licensed quickly in your own name. If you get pulled over and they run a check on it and find out it's registered in somebody else's name, you'll be sitting in the cross-bar motel until your lawyer gets it straightened out.
    State laws say age 21. But I know a few people that have the permit under the age of 21 because "they knew people" and I have heard that you can be under 21 under certain circumstances

This is where I'm lost!!!! I wouldn't think it would be a problem since it is a Legal and Valid Permit... but im not 100%sure.

Also, what do i need to do to get that gun in my name?

I will have to find the statute but I belive that sheriff issued permits are only valid in that particular parish, not statewide.

EDIT:
    RS 40:1379.1
    1379.1. Special officers; powers and duties; concealed handgun permit

A. The superintendent of state police shall be authorized to issue at his discretion a special officer's commission from the division of state police. Any person who receives a special officer's commission must display need for statewide police power and power to arrest, be bonded, and adhere to all restrictive stipulations as set forth in the special officer's commission.

B. The special officer, when performing those tasks requiring a special officer's commission, shall have the same powers and duties as a peace officer; provided, however, that when not performing these tasks directly related to the special officer's commission, he shall be regarded as a private citizen and his commission shall not be in effect.

C. The superintendent of state police shall determine who is entitled to receive a special officer's commission and may promulgate and adopt regulations providing with respect to the issuance and use of said permits.

D. The superintendent of state police shall have the authority to revoke any special officer's commission for cause, and is further empowered to require those holding special officer's commissions to furnish proof of their being bonded and such other information as may be deemed necessary for determining suitability for holding a special officer's commission.

E. All special officer or agent commissions previously issued by the department of public safety are rescinded upon the effective date of this Section.

F. During a declared state of emergency or disaster by the governor, the deputy secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Public Safety Services, office of state police may issue a special officer’s commission to a commissioned law enforcement officer who responds to a request for assistance pursuant to the Southern Regional Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Management Assistance Compact, as found in R.S. 29:751 and is determined by the deputy secretary to need statewide police power and power to arrest. Any person who receives a special officer’s commission under this Subsection shall not be required to be bonded and shall adhere to all restrictive stipulations as set forth in the special officer’s commission and regulations promulgated and adopted pursuant to Subsection C of this Section. Such person shall have the powers and duties of a peace officer, provided, that when he is not performing tasks directly related to the special officer's commission, he shall be regarded as a private citizen and his commission shall not be in effect.

G. The chief law enforcement officer of a parish shall have the authority to issue a concealed handgun permit to an individual, which permit shall be valid only within the boundaries of the chief law enforcement officer's parish. Upon application, the officer shall personally perform a standard criminal record check. The officer who performed the standard criminal record check shall not be liable for acts committed by the permittee, unless the officer had actual personal knowledge at the time he issued the permit that the permittee was mentally unstable or disqualified by law from possessing a firearm. Notwithstanding the provisions of this Subsection, the issuance of a permit shall not be unreasonably withheld.

H. The deputy secretary of the Department of Public Safety shall have the authority to grant to an individual a concealed handgun permit from the office of state police. Before the individual applies to the deputy secretary for a permit, he must have been granted a concealed handgun permit by the chief law enforcement officer of the parish in which he is officially domiciled. Any individual who receives a concealed handgun permit from the office of state police must be bonded in the amount of five thousand dollars and must adhere to all restrictive stipulations as provided in the concealed handgun permit. Further, the deputy secretary shall have the authority to promulgate and adopt regulations providing with respect to the issuance and use of said permit.

I. The superintendent of state police or the chief law enforcement officer of a parish shall have the authority to revoke any concealed handgun permit, and is further empowered to require those holding handgun permits to furnish proof of their being bonded, and such other information as may be deemed necessary for determining suitability for holding a concealed handgun permit.

J. Special officer commissions shall be valid only for a period of one year from the date of their issuance. However, special officer commissions issued to employees of the department shall be valid until revoked by the superintendent. Special officer commissions issued to judges shall be valid for the length of their term of office.

K. For the purposes of this Section, "handgun" is defined as meaning any pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition.

L. No provision of this Section or of any regulation of the superintendent of state police shall be construed to require persons holding bona fide law enforcement officer commissions to possess a handgun permit.

M. Anyone in possession of a concealed handgun permit issued by the superintendent who uses a handgun in a task not directly related to the stipulations set forth in the permit shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

N.(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsections A, B, C, and D of this Section, the deputy secretary of public safety services shall issue a special officer's commission to the sergeant at arms or assistant sergeants at arms of the Senate or the House of Representatives when directed to do so by the president of the Senate or the speaker of the House of Representatives. The deputy secretary shall not determine eligibility for a special officer's commission under this Subsection, which determination shall be made solely by the president of the Senate or the speaker of the House of Representatives.

(2) Commissions under this Subsection shall not exceed the term of the president of the Senate or the speaker of the House of Representatives, according to the length of the remaining term of the respective party.

Added by Acts 1975, No. 412, 1. Amended by Acts 1982, No. 663, 1; Acts 1991, No. 562, 1; Acts 1992, No. 892, 1, eff. July 8, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 942, 1; Acts 1996, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 4, 1, eff. April 19, 1996; Acts 1999, No. 1367, 1; Acts 2006, No. 317, 1, eff. June 13, 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I will have to find the statute but I belive that sheriff issued permits are only valid in that particular parish, not statewide.
    That would suck..... Can you find out for me please?

Also, what do I need to do to get this gun in my name?

Its still in my friends name. I just gave him the cash and he gave the gun.

What process do I need to take?

There is no Gun Registration in LA, So there is nothing to put it in your name. If you would have bought it at 21 all you would have filled out was a form to run a check on you and file with the store and atf. Nothing would be in your name then. You would have a receipt or bill of sale to prove ownership though. You could have that drawn up between you and the seller.

Look above for the statute, it is in bold.

There is no Gun Registration in LA, So there is nothing to put it in your name. If you would have bought it at 21 all you would have filled out was a form to run a check on you and file with the store and atf. Nothing would be in your name then. You would have a receipt or bill of sale to prove ownership though. You could have that drawn up between you and the seller.

Look above for the statute, it is in bold.
    so he just needs to write up some papers stating that he gave the gun to me?

Do I need to be there when he does this because he lives 3 hours away!

Go to Xavier Thoughts Look around on there he has a great example of one.

Unless you know this person well I would also have an officer run the serial number to make sure you are getting a legal weapon that is not stolen or thought to be involved in a crime.

Go to Xavier Thoughts Look around on there he has a great example of one.

Unless you know this person well I would also have an officer run the serial number to make sure you are getting a legal weapon that is not stolen or thought to be involved in a crime.
    Im going to have an officer I know in another state run the serial for me... also, this is what he told me to do for the proof that the gun is mine.
    Just a simple bill of sale
    that includes the serial number , amount paid, and date of purchase, if you have someone that can witness thats even better
    But one more question about this.

Should he put that he "sold" it to me and include a price or would it be better he put that he "gave" me the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Anty506 View Post
    Im going to have an officer I know in another state run the serial for me... also, this is what he told me to do for the proof that the gun is mine.

But one more question about this.

Should he put that he "sold" it to me and include a price or would it be better he put that he "gave" me the gun?
    There is no such thing as 'registration', or in your name, or anything like that. I have a receipt for maybe 2 guns out of my collection. Some were inherited, some were bought face to face, some I lost the receipt. You don't need a receipt.

I would call the sheriff's office and ask if you can stop by to have a S/N checked on a handgun. Call in advance to ensure there is no misunderstanding when you get there. He will most likely make you bring the gun with you, because if it is stolen he will take possession of it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links