Question about NC laws...

This is a discussion on Question about NC laws... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember about a year back now, there was talk about rehashing two main carry laws. The no carry in an establishment that servers alcohol ...

Thread: Question about NC laws...

Question about NC laws...

I remember about a year back now, there was talk about rehashing two main carry laws. The no carry in an establishment that servers alcohol for consumption, and no carry in places that charge admission. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this recently? Really sucks we cannot carry in just about every restaurant out there. And I was wondering if anyone has seen any publishings about movie theaters as places that charge admission to be excluded, seeing that I think that section of the law was written for sporting events, concerts, and the likes. Appreciate any and all knowledge heading my way!

Dave

EDIT :

While I'm thinking of it too...is an ABC store considered a state building here since the sale of alcohol (liquor) is controlled by the state?

2. Remove Ads

Best one-stop info item is:
    http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
    (last updated dec 2007)

Places that charge admission are not referenced, but they do exclude "public gatherings such as parades". I suppose that could be used to cover sporting events, conventions, etc. They also specifically mention "financial institutions" which would be banks, credit unions, loan offices, etc.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    (last updated dec 2007)

Places that charge admission are not referenced, but they do exclude "public gatherings such as parades". I suppose that could be used to cover sporting events, conventions, etc. They also specifically mention "financial institutions" which would be banks, credit unions, loan offices, etc.

Nick
    Now that REALLY sucks...
    Now they do allow carry in your home, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 21, at the bottom.

North Carolina law also prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into
    any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission or into any establishment
    where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed. Again, the individuals exempted
    from carrying concealed weapons cited in paragraph III. A. of this publication are
    similarly exempted under this law. A concealed handgun permit does not allow a
    permittee to carry a weapon in these areas.

Thought I remembered reading this, was just really hoping that bill I was thinking about was passed into law. Stinks leaving the gun in the car for a whole night of dinner and a movie...

Dave

ABC stores are all off-limits due to them being owned state/county run, they are all also posted with no ccw signs, at least all the ones I have seen. The other 2 laws regarding restuarants with alcohol, and places that charge admission were being discussed last year, but no action was taken, so the laws still stand in effect.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

VIP Member
    Since this is the short session of state legislature GRNC is holding off trying to get any new bills introduced until the next full session, 2009. Hopefully by then most of the anti-self defense legislators will have been voted out.

Well, they need to hurry up. I hate that fact I was just unarmed for almost five hours because I chose to follow the laws....

Dave

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Well, they need to hurry up. I hate that fact I was just unarmed for almost five hours because I chose to follow the laws....

Dave
    You don't have to follow the law, you can become a felon if you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    You don't have to follow the law, you can become a felon if you chose.
    Haha nn, this is true, I could. But, I won't. I could have just not gone out, like I normally would do. But I was in town for a whooping night and wanted to go out with my father before I left for Quantico again. Oh well, perhaps next year we'll be able to have a normal night out and still protect those we love. Fingers not crossed though....

Dave

Send these NC Legislators your e-mails for support of the bills they sponsored. House Bills 310, 830, and 831.

Mark Hilton: Markh@ncleg.net 919-733-5988

Fred Steen: Fredst@ncleg.net 919-733-5881

I've already recieved a response noting that these will be re-introduced in the 2009 session.

Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    (last updated dec 2007)

Nick

I get this....but at the same time people rob banks at gunpoint...why can the "badguys" bring guns in but the "goodguys" can't. My arguement is two prong:

1. A criminal may be less likely to rob a place that possibly has CCW's inside. Who wants to get shot?

2. Responsible CCW may be able to end the ordeal from inside potentially quelling hostage situation/ killings.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Hoping this will pass. Currently stuck in committee according to the Senator.

Castle Doctrine for NC.
    North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 1251 Information/History (2007-2008 Session)

Check out this guys introduced bills
    Senator Andrew Brock Andrewb@ncleg.net.

Personal Protection in Restaurants.
    North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 1094 Information/History (2007-2008 Session)

Reduce Number of Illegal Aliens in Jails.
    North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 405 Information/History (2007-2008 Session)

Require Passport for Drivers License.
    North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 298 Information/History (2007-2008 Session)

Links