Canada?

This is a discussion on Canada? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have a link to the laws in Canada with guns? I might have to drive a truck to Winnepeg and want to know what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada?

Canada?

Anyone have a link to the laws in Canada with guns? I might have to drive a truck to Winnepeg and want to know what I need to do.. Thanks guys for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Don't even think about taking a gun.

That's pretty much what you need to know.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Don't even think about taking a gun.

That's pretty much what you need to know.

Matt

Ditto,

Besides, you won't NEED a gun in Canada! As a Canadian transplant, I can assure you, there is NO disagreement that can't be overcome over a nice cold Molson Canadian! just sayin!
    Dying of natural causes is for wimps!

VIP Member
    Here are a couple of items that will answer your question, for the most part what Matt said is correct. The link from the RCMP at the bottom gives more detail.

Restricted firearms.

Certain weapons (handguns) are restricted and may only be imported for the purpose of attending an approved shooting competition or target practice at an approved shooting club or range. Get in touch with the host club well in advance of the scheduled event, so arraignments can be made. You will need an Authorization to Transport before you can enter Canada. You must obtain this authorization in advance from the Chief Firearms Officer of the Canadian province or territory you will be visiting. This authorization will permit you to transport your restricted firearms between specified places within Canada.
    Restricted firearms may not be imported for hunting or personal protection. Chief Firearms Officers will not generally issue authorizations to allow restricted firearms to be moved in transit through Canada. Restricted firearms include semi-automatic firearms with barrels less than 18.5 inches (460 mm) long, all handguns that do not fall into the prohibited category and semi-automatic weapons that are designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to an overall length of less than 26 inches (660 mm). Firearms declared Prohibited in Canada (including .25 or .32 calibre handguns, and/or having a barrel length of 105mm or less) cannot enter Canada under any circumstances.

Visitors / Non-Residents

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, sounds like I'm not going there.

Yeah, there's lots of things I'd like to see in Canada but if they are going to be that restrictive against gun owners then my money will be spent elswhere (and it WON'T be Mexico!!).

I think Canada wants you to have the rifle or shotgun cased, unloaded, AND a hunting license for where you are headed. And no handguns. They will just confiscate and you will never see it again.
    Sorry, did not see til just now the previous post re the firearms laws there....
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    No, no, no...........eh?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Taking guns to Canada

Guns are a big "No no..."

Pistols will cost you , long guns get technical...

I wouldn't even take a car having the NRA decal...I was thoroughly searched for that(decal back then, not now)...nothing found!

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 6th, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife lives in montreal and i went up there in january,and my 1911 stayed in port huron michigan til i came back,if you get caught trying to sneak a handgun in you won't like the outcome.what was funny was i had a texas tag and never got searched on the way back into the states border patrol asked if i had any guns then one of them saw my tag and said he's from texas everybodys got a gun and i said not on me but it will be in about 5 minutes,then he asked how many guns i owned and i told him and he said wow
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's an interesting piece of news I was told by a trucker recently. They won't even let truckers who are ex-felon's into Canada without a whole lot of hassle and special paperwork. He told me his buddy had to park the truck for a day or two and the company had to send another driver to take the load across.

A few years ago I was up in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. for some training. I went into Canada on several occasions during that trip and had a great time, but my pistols stayed in the hotel safe on the Michigan side before venturing across the border.

I wasn't going to be on the road from Missouri to Michigan without a gun with me for the trip just because I planned on going into Canada a few times during the trip. I just made sure the hotel I was staying at had a safe when I made reservations.

The worst headache was having to take my gun off and lock it in the trunk while I traveled through the peoples republic of Illinois. And that's in my own country. And only for the short time it took to cross IL. Thank goodness it's a skinny state!

If you get caught trying to get a handgun into Canada, not only will it ruin your whole trip, but you'll go on a list and they won't let you in the country in the future either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Here's a useful tip.

When the Canadian customs official asks if you have any firearms, the proper response is not "what do you need?"

Don't ask me how I know. Let's just say that long ago, I was much younger and dumber.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

When the Canadian customs official asks if you have any firearms, the proper response is not "what do you need?"
    Those custom officials just can't take a joke. My brother was coming back into the US from Mexico when he mentioned that his buddy looked a little heavier that he did when he went over. Three hours, $250 and a full body cavity search later they were on their way. Next time the only thing they declared was that they were US citizens.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Many years ago I was driving from Los Angeles to UCSD on business. First time on California freeways for an Ohio farm boy. Exits and signs flew by relentlessly and I didn't see my exit. Forgetting basic physics that traveling at 60+ mph meant that a mile takes less than a minute to pass, I remained unconvinced that I had missed my exit until the border crossing loomed ahead. No place to turn around so I got to the booth and told the officer I missed my exit and wanted to turn around. He made me drive through to turn around. Coming back into the US after a U-turn evoked suspicion. I was young, fun and full of ... You are right. No sense of humor.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links