First Time Carrying Today

This is a discussion on First Time Carrying Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm still breaking in the Bersa T380. I went to the range today after work to shoot a few more magazines. It's doing well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Carrying Today

Cool First Time Carrying Today

So, I'm still breaking in the Bersa T380. I went to the range today after work to shoot a few more magazines. It's doing well with 150 rounds in it so far, but I haven't shot any HP ammo through it yet. I'm confident it will earn my trust as a carry weapon.

Anyway... I had to go to the store to pick up some things on the way home and I thought, what the heck, I'll carry. So I put it in the brand new Desantis Nemesis holster I bought last week (great price, only $17), in the pocket it went, and off I went to... of all places... Publix.

Let me say this first - I'm ALWAYS aware of my wallet in my back pocket, except tonight. I felt so conscious of the gun my left front pocket that for a few seconds I actually couldn't tell if my wallet was there and actually had to check.

I was wearing casual pants, with a polo shirt tucked in (business casual) and the Bersa fit well in the pocket, but just barely. If I looked down at the pocket, I could see the butt of the gun at times, and I'm assuming if someone knew what they were looking for, and was intent on trying to find it, they could too if they were right behind me.

But I noticed, moreso tonight than ever before, that people are so wrapped up in themselves that it's beyond funny, it's actually kinda sad. Everyone was either walking around like drones up and down the aisles or staring into space at the checkout line, or playing with their cell phone, or talking... about themselves... on their cell phone.

All in all it was an enlightening 30 minute excursion. If I didn't have my shirt tucked in I probably would have rather had an IWB holster, and I think that will be my next accessory purchase.

It wasn't Wal Mart, I didn't get nachos, but I did get some chicken wings!
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Nice job!

Congrats to you, and you are very correct in realizing people are encased in themselves.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    congratulations on both your first official carry and your early discovery of a major fact of life!

Yep, people for the most part are so wrapped up in their own "thing", they aren't going to stand around looking at small shadows created by objects in folks pockets, or under their shirts, and try to guess what the object is. The idea of "printing" being a big issue is really a bit ridiculous. There are way too many people carrying multiple cell phones, blackberry's, and other electronics now that very few even pay any attention.

"printing" is highly over-rated in my opinion!

Congrats. I carry my Keltec in my pocket and the Glock IWB, nobody notices with either method.

We are less significant than you want to think. No one else cares about how you look. Time will build confidence.

Awesome, we have another one willing to take care of themselves and family. Just wait till you get so used to carrying you feel really strange when you don't have a pistol with you. Congrats on a new way of life.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

The one's who look or notice are "US"! ha ha ha Every now and then I'll catch a carryin' member of the club...

Don't worry after a while, you'll feel naked without it!

Be careful out there!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Was just out tonight and didn't take the 'usual' Kimber Ultra...just the P-3AT in my right front pocket...forgot it was there.

Front pocket carry is comfortable, and if approached...easy to 'naturally' pull out for business.

No one, NO ONE, knows there's a gun in your pocket...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

At first you feel completely naked with it and think everyone will notice. I was suprised how quickly that went away. I have only been carrying for a couple of months and it has become SO natural...at times too natural. A couple of times I have ALMOST forgotten and walked into my kids school with it on. I certainly don't need THAT issue coming up!

I thought everyone was staring at me when I started to carry to the have no Idea.
    I also carry a Bersa 380 I went with the Plus to get the 15 rounds much like my glock 19.
    I have so many different rounds though the Bersa that I stop counting and it has been perfect with all ammo.
    I never found a great IWB holster for the bersa because the slide release always poked me in the side and the grip checkering start to chaff after a while so I made my own holster and picked up a Kel-tec PF -9 for pocket carry.
    Good luck hope you never need it.
    Last edited by wyldman; May 7th, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

Awesome! We haven't carried yet; I thought our licenses had come in the mail (was waiting to open them when the wife got home) but it wasn't them! So, we're still waiting.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Congratulations on your first foray with your CCW! It won't take long before you're altogether comfortable with it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    congrats...you are well on your way...I carry a 642 in my pocket and in some pants the butt sticks up toward the top of the opening...no one notices...I really think you could carry in the iwb, with a small revolver and a loose tucked in shirt where the gun is virtually in the open, and 99% of the people would never notice. BUT it is not a performable experiment so, I guess I will never know.
    After a few months, you won't even know it is there...but you will when it is NOT!

you probably already know this...but just in case...NOTHING goes in that pocket except the holster and firearm. With pocket carry, that is how most accidents happen...

welcome to the club!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links