Five Rules of Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Five Rules of Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the Xavier Thoughts blog, the Five Rules of Concealed Carry . -JT...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five Rules of Concealed Carry

Five Rules of Concealed Carry

2. Remove Ads

That's a good read.

grady... i agree good read.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Great read. Thanks.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Isn't anyone troubled by the instructions of an unqualified run away?. To me that sounds tactically problematic. The referenced site shows the GG with his back to an armed (with a knife) BG. I was always taught to never turn my back on the threat. I would be backing away. How about you?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

good read...
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Not bad...of course the first rule is to always carry your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Isn't anyone troubled by the instructions of an unqualified run away?. To me that sounds tactically problematic. The referenced site shows the GG with his back to an armed (with a knife) BG. I was always taught to never turn my back on the threat. I would be backing away. How about you?
    I didn't see anything about an "unqualified run away." It sounded to me like he was just saying to only fight if you can't safely escape.

from the article:
    Flee if you can, fight only as a last resort.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 7th, 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: edited language
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Mine are prettier
    1) Concealed Means Concealed.
    2) Avoid, De-escalate & Deter.
    3) Perfect Practice make Perfect.
    4) Only in reasonable fear of Life or Great Bodily Harm.

1) Concealed Means Concealed.
    You don't display, you make sure it is not visible, you make sure you have a holster that will secure your weapon. You will use an appropriate means to keep your firearm concealed without sacrificing speed of draw.

2) Avoid, De-escalate & Deter.
    You will not place yourself into a situation that will require the use of your firearm. That includes going through dangerous parts of town, get lippy with the local gang, argue at the drop of a hat, etc. Take whatever precautions are necessary to avoid being targeted, give screaming idiots a wide berth or let them win the argument, etc.

3) Perfect Practice make Perfect.
    Get training, get good training, practice what you learned in a regular & constant manner. If your carry gun develops dust bunnies, you are not taking your duty seriously.

4) Only in reasonable fear of Life or Great Bodily Harm.
    Life is precious even the one of the idiot annoying you. Make sure the threat raises to the legal level for you to use your firearm.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Not all. He said "if possible" run away. I agreee the picture is a poor example for the reason you stated, but I agree completly with the concept. The fact that your state may have adopted a "no obligation to retreat" law, does not change my view on this question. If you can safely, please notice I am using the qualifying word "safely," retreat and by doing so avoid the threat to you or your family, I think it is foolish not to do so.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Good read. I think Xavier is the guy that posted a blog about an encounter he had with two BG's in a WM parking lot. They were attempting to steal a video game from his daughter.

I also saw on the link that a book has been written about the gun grab in New Orleans during Katrina. I just ordered a copy and hope to be able to read it and maintain my blood pressure within a normal range.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good read.

I think the most important point he made was to lose the bravado when you're carrying a gun. It's no time to be a show off or to think you're invincible.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Definitely irresponsible to stay and fight if you can get your family out of harms way. If retreating leaves others in great danger then it is another matter. One where the decision is likely driven by the specific circumstance. The rules are a good reminder and you can't hear them enough. Too much at stake.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I also saw on the link that a book has been written about the gun grab in New Orleans during Katrina. I just ordered a copy and hope to be able to read it and maintain my blood pressure within a normal range.
    I read it. You will fail.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I didn't see anything about an "unqualified run away." It sounded to me like he was just saying to only fight if you can't safely escape.
    You're right. My use of "unqualified run away" was over the top. Castle doctrine or not, I'm out of there if possible safely. I guess the picture of the GG with his back to the BG holding a knife offended my sense of tactics.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I like Miggy's rules better

1. bring a gun
    2. concealed does mean concealed
    3. the presence of a firearm may cause a BG to seek his victim elsewhere (personal experience - and I am not writing from jail)
    4. document incidents - call police inform them immediately (carry a cell phone)
    5. ALWAYS obey the four rules of safe gun handling
    6. avoid getting into situations you may regret later
    7. know your rights
    a. when to draw
    b. when to shoot
    c. when to talk
    d. when to shut up and wait for the attorney

I have used the presence of my firearm to de-escalate situations in the past - I'm not in jail

(I know I missed something)
    refer to Marine Corps rule 23 and be safe out there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links