JFK Airport

This is a discussion on JFK Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Double post: Mods feel free to delete the one from law enforcement please ! Hey folk's, Im coming to the USA this Friday for a ...

Thread: JFK Airport

JFK Airport

Double post: Mods feel free to delete the one from law enforcement please !

Hey folk's,

Im coming to the USA this Friday for a little work related activity and for some vacation time and Iím bringing my sidearm.

Anyway first off, Im a corrections officer from Ireland & Im travelling to the US to attend the OLETC mock riots and some of the seminars, (a law enforcement thing in WV)

I have received permission from the ATF a form 6 I think its called for the temporary importation of a firearm.

I have to fly into JFK, and clear customs before making my connection flight, from what I understand itís real easy to fly into JFK with a firearm in your check bag, but getting back out of JFK is supposed to be a lot more difficult.

So if anyone knows the procedure for transiting through JFK Iíd love to hear from you.

I have tried to get a straight answer from the JFK Airport authority, the Port Authority Police and U.S Custom's, and a few other organisations, and none, NONE of them seem to know, all they can tell me is handguns are prohibited without a state permit.

So am I just going to be arrested without question as soon as I put a hand on my case or what will happen ?

I find it better to know things like this in advance, but nobody can give me anything close to a straight answer.

So if anyone knows what the facts are or knows where I can actually get an honest answer I'd love to know....

Thank's
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

2. Remove Ads

This "sticky" thread from Glock Talk may help.

Flying With Firearms - Glock Talk

Ken

VIP Member
    Transportation Security Administration is the group you need to talk to. They are federal employees (Dept Of Homeland security), and their rules should be standardized nation wide. Try this number as a point of contact 1-866-289-9673 or try email at
    TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov. I wish i had a person to put you in touch with but this is the best I got. Good luck.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    People have been arrested and prosecuted when picking up their luggage at JFK in the past (or trying to check in). They seem to have a major problem with the Fed Law that makes this legal.

I would do anything in my power to avoid any stops at JFK, LaGuardia or Newark airports!!

Your purpose and ATF paperwork will clear the way through:

CBP, TSA, and any local authorities. Likely in that order.

Basically, you will speak to and clear Customs and Border Protection, proceed to the airlines where you will re-check your luggage and declare your firearms. At that point, you may or may not encounter the TSA or the Port Authority while still in the possession of your firearm. In any event, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Enjoy the training and your stay in our country.

Best,
    Erik
    God, country, family.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    People have been arrested and prosecuted when picking up their luggage at JFK in the past (or trying to check in). They seem to have a major problem with the Fed Law that makes this legal.

I would do anything in my power to avoid any stops at JFK, LaGuardia or Newark airports!!
    This letter addresses the issue of NY harassing people who must access their baggage while transiting through NY airports with firearms. Having a copy with you should help avoid difficulty. http://www.nysrpa.org/FOPA-DOJltrTSA.pdf
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Oh Happy Days !

Don't ask how .. BUT

I just received an e-mail from the nice folks over at Port Authorities HQ saying YES...

Permission is granted for in-transit transportation of firearm at JFK Airport on 5/9/08.

there are 3 condition's

1. The firearm must be unloaded and remain locked in a hard plastic container.
    No problem there, it was going to be locked up anyway !

2. Firearm must remain with Delta Airline while you are waiting for the connecting flight to Pittsburgh, PA.
    No problem there, I didnt want to have to drag that case around the Airport anyway !

3. Retain all original paperwork on your person.
    No problem there either, It's only a few pages of paper, no big deal...

Yes ~ Happy Days Indeed
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post

NYC feels that they don't need to follow anyone else's laws, especially the Federal Governemtn's. This rings true even with motorcycles allowed to be riding in in the HOV lanes on Interstaes, which are Federally funded. Hence the reason I moved away from there and haven't looked back. Thanks, Micheal Bloomberg for ruining a great city. The same goes to Hillary Clinton, which hasn't doe anything good for the whole state in eight years.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Your problem as I see it, is your authority possess once in NYC. The ATF form 6 allows you to bring the firearm into the country, but you still need an authorization to posess said firearm while in NY, which you do not have. It could be an issue when you go to re-check it during your visit and when you depart.

I would have gotten the ATF authorization and had the weapon shipped directly to the facility you will do your training at. Upon compleation, the firearm can be shipped back to you.

Is the training you seek from a Law Enforcement agancy or organizationj? If so that agency could probably direct you. As it is now, if you get stuck in NY with your handgun, you are in violation of section 265 of the Penal Law. You would need an authority to posess, such as a pistol permit, the requirements of which are outlined in sec. 400 of the Penal Law, but unfortunately you do not qualify under any provisions of that section.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra45 View Post
    I would have gotten the ATF authorization and had the weapon shipped directly to the facility you will do your training at. Upon compleation, the firearm can be shipped back to you.
    +1. This is the only viable option, IMHO. You are taking a huge risk considering the reputation of the authorities in that area. There are too many things that can go wrong, and the consequences of even one of them are too great and outweigh BY FAR any benefit.

If you still have time, ship it.

Has anyone heard from the original poster? I believe he was due in NY yesterday.

He's probably in the Port Authority lock-up at JFK!

I was just about to ask him if he could just borrow a firearm after he got here
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

1943 - 2009
    Guys, the OP said in post #7 that his problem was resolved, so I'm closing this thread. He can come back and tell us if everything went smoothly or not in a new thread if he wants to.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links