Heart pounding incident.

Heart pounding incident.

This is a discussion on Heart pounding incident. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was stopped at a red light today when I noticed in the rearview a truck skidding toward me from behind. I glanced lft-rt then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Moderator

Heart pounding incident.

I was stopped at a red light today when I noticed in the rearview a truck skidding toward me from behind. I glanced lft-rt then punched the gas to make space an either lessen the impact or (hopefully) avoid it.
    Luckily I didn't get hit, the truck almost fully stopped and I saw the passenger door open , then close as the truck started moving.
    They flew by me (I ignored them) .I signaled I was turning rt into a store entrance and they cut a lane and pull in in front of me. At this point I figured something was going down. I checked but could not back up out of the area(traffic wizzing by). The truck stopped and blocked the entrance.
    I drew my SA Champ and held it along side my leg, thumb on the safety as the driver exited . He started walking back toward me, and I spotted the passenger step out too. The driver walked past my truck w/o even glancing at me while the passenger (female) shouted at him. As soon as the driver was far enough past my truck and gave me some space I hopped the curb with my truck and entered the parking lot.
    My best guess is they were having a domestic dispute (most likely over his poor driving) and he decided to walk away. I don't think either of them realize how close he came to looking down the barrel of a pistol.
    luckily his stupidity and bad driving didn't include engaging me. I didn't get tunnel vision too bad, since I noticed the passenger exit, but my heart was definitely racing. Once it was over I got mild shakes from the adrenaline. I'm glad I was able to evaluate the situation correctly and not make a bad decision.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sounds like you handled the situation pretty well.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Those type situtations will always make you glad you carry. Glad it didn't involve you more then it did.

Very scary. Good idea to carry.

We always hope we won't be involved in anything and we usually won't be, but it's good to be armed in case the unthinkable happens.

You handled it well and got yourself a little experience in the process.

Nice work, man. Did you have any clue or idea what was going on? Sounds like it happened pretty fast.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Sounds like you handled the situation pretty well.
    I think you processed all of the important information without focusing on any of the bs, like the their argument. Do you remember the drivers hands as he walked passed you?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Lead Moderator
    I was focused on the drivers and passengers hands , more than likely it was a domestic dispute for the actions I observed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    A cool head always will come out on top. You were aware of your surrounding (condition yellow). Congrats
    Last edited by Reborn; May 8th, 2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

And that's exactly how fast a bad incident will happen, out of nowhere, and not just in the "bad" parts of town.

Good for you for being prepared.

Distinguished Member
    Wrong place at the wrong time, its weird how that works. While its going down, it makes you wonder "what did I do?" Glad all is fine, the option of defending ones self is a good think if the need arises.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Great job on seeing a potential rear-end comming, reading traffic, and having the presence of mind to avoid the possiable collision.

Even better (?) you keeping you head up and stright throughout the other drivers behavior and not 'brandishing' your intent to not be a victim. That's outstanding situational awareness.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well done! Kept cool, assesed the situation. I hope I can do as well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Great situational awareness. Funny how, as others have mentioned, these things come when and where you least expect them. I was having the discussion last week with my wife as to why I carry daily - not just to bad parts of town....
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Top of the line situational awareness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links