Applied For My Georgia Permit Today

This is a discussion on Applied For My Georgia Permit Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied for my GA carry permit today. It was fast and easy. I walked into the court building, gave them $39, answered a few ...

Thread: Applied For My Georgia Permit Today

I applied for my GA carry permit today.

It was fast and easy. I walked into the court building, gave them $39, answered a few questions, and took finger prints. The whole process took less then 10 minutes. I was told that I would get my license in the mail in 6 - 8 weeks.

Any advise? Anything I should watch out for when I carry in GA?
    Last edited by broknindarkagain; May 8th, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

check out georgiapacking.org

Currenty, No carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol. Hopefully HB 89 will change this.

You can only carry with appropriate holster or bag.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

What is considered an appropriate holster? Will any CC holster do fine?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    What is considered an appropriate holster? Will any CC holster do fine?
    i went with a comp-tac m-tac after reading many reviews, as it is

-quality
    -comfortable
    -versatile
    -extremely concealable

about $90 after shipping gives you a holster that you can alter to fit just about any semi-auto for the cost of a $30 molded piece of kydex, much better than having to buy a $75 holster for every gun you would carry.

but all that depends on which gun you are carrying, how you want to carry it, and your body shape/what's comfortable for you.

i also don't have my permit yet, just applied 4/22 down at the cobb county courthouse, but i was told by the lady that took my finger prints that it would be less than a month before i got it. i hope there hasn't been some sudden delay :(

Also check georgiacarry.org, along with georgiapacking.org they will keep you up to date on laws.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    i also don't have my permit yet, just applied 4/22 down at the cobb county courthouse, but i was told by the lady that took my finger prints that it would be less than a month before i got it. i hope there hasn't been some sudden delay :(
    I applied in Paulding County. I've heard horror stories about anything government related being a slow process in Cobb...and that Paulding did things fairly quick. Hopefully I won't have to wait 6-8 weeks....I'm sure if Cobb is getting them out in a month, Paulding will be just as fast, if not faster.

I talked to a good friend of mine who works at Wal-Mart in Hiram, he said they will kick you out if they find out that you are carrying. Is there any truth to this?

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

CC is fine in wally world. OC is OK depending on the manager.
    As others said visit:
    Georgia Carry.org
    Georgia Packing

So you can open carry with the GA concealed permit right? Or is that a different license? I'm going to read up on everything I can in the next few days on the topic.

sorry if I'm asking a million questions..just wanna make sure I know everything before I get my permit in the mail.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

open carry with a permit is allowed...but why advertise? i recently got a Crossbreed Super-tuck for my XD40, and it works great! conceals just fine in a pair of shorts and t-shirt. i live in Cobb County too and the 6-8 week time frame is right. almost forgot about my license before it showed up.
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818 View Post
    open carry with a permit is allowed...but why advertise?
    Very good point. Personally, I'm very comfortable with open carry. I lived in AZ for quite some time, and AZ is open carry. (I'm not trying to start an open carry debate here just to clear that up before it gets to that...Just trying to figure out my carry options). I've never carried concealed before, its something completely new to me. Of course, I'll take my virgin walk through wally world. I bought a simple IWB holster off of Ebay...just something to hold over till I find something I really like. I usually wear clothes with room to breathe, so I don't think concealment will be a problem....Not only that but I have a pretty small sidearm (Bersa .380).

Has anyone here ever open carried in GA? Is it taboo, or do people generally ignore it.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

it is not taboo, but you do get stares. the attendant at the gas station even jumped when i reached for my wallet. do some research, invest in a good concealable holster and use. the best thing i do is where my gun all the time to get used to it.

by the way, the bersa .380 is nothing to sneeze at. i picked one up for my wife(no snub to you :) and have found that it is very easy to conceal. good luck and congratulations!
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

You can open carry but I agree with other posters why advertise. I carry everywhere I go. I don't eat in restaurants that serve alcohol. Note at present it is a felony to carry on MARTA buses, trains or parking lots. Come on Sonny sign HB89.

Sponsored Links