CCW Legal Question

CCW Legal Question

This is a discussion on CCW Legal Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in Virginia. My reading, as I recall, says that you can't be within a 1000 ft of a school while carrying, except in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question CCW Legal Question

I'm in Virginia. My reading, as I recall, says that you can't be within a 1000 ft of a school while carrying, except in a car.

My wife and I regularly go for evening walks. Our standard loop takes us right by one of the many schools in the area. For that matter, my house may even be within a 1000 ft straight line projection of one of the schools.

I've yet to carry or feel the need to carry in my neighborhood, but things change.

???

I would contact your local authority and see what they have to say aobut this. I would think it would not be a problem, but I also am not saying to break the law. It all depends on how strict they want to be and under what circumstances they would be coming after you.

That is a very good question...because 1000 feet is a big distance. Like what if your neighborhood backs up to the baseball field of a high school. Obviously you can have guns on your property, butttt what are the laws surrounding walking across the street to your neighbors house?

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I have the same concern here in Nevada, where there is a 500 foot rule. My CCW instructor, who is active local LEO, said the rule is not enforced. The number of vehicles traveling through school zones is astronomical and it is unreasonable to expect people to follow this rule.

Still, I'm not satisfied. I suggest contacting your local police cheif. I did through email about another issue, and have a response that I keep with me at all times, should I be hassled by one of his men. Makes me feel better, anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Seems like I read the federal statute somewhere online. I recall that if you hold a recognized CCW permit, or your house is within the 1000-foot distance, you are exempt. Anyone know what the statute ID is?

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.1
    18.2-308 is your friend.

18.2-308.1 spells out about the on the school grounds itself part and covers vehicular carry.

18.2-308 exemptions also carry over to 308.1 and within your own home or curtilage thereof is also exempt.

I Don't know about the supposed 1000' rule though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Seems like I read the federal statute somewhere online. I recall that if you hold a recognized CCW permit, or your house is within the 1000-foot distance, you are exempt. Anyone know what the statute ID is?

I am fairly certain you are correct about that...but what I think GettingOld2 question was getting at is the situations where you are walking your dog at 7pm (when school is not in session), maybe 1 or 2 blocks away from a school...Are you technically breaking the law? Or does a state law say that CCW permit holders are exempt?

I am MORE than certain this law is used rarely...and when it is used its for troublemakers/gang bangers

You are referring to the Gun-Free School Zone Act I believe which was declared unconstitutional then re-enacted correcting the technical defects.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
    interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school
    zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an
    individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify
    hat the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the
    individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining
    access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school
    authorities.

The way I read this if you have a permit you are OK.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

The way I read the Federal Law is with a CCW, your good to go if on a public street.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    You are referring to the Gun-Free School Zone Act I believe which was declared unconstitutional then re-enacted correcting the technical defects.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
    interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school
    zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an
    individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify
    hat the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the
    individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining
    access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school
    authorities.

The way I read this if you have a permit you are OK.
    I was looking for that, but haven't had the time today unfortunately...thanks havegunjoe. I was reading it the same way, but I'm not a lawyer.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

In Oregon, from what I understand (I've done a ton of research), it's completely LEGAL to carry in a school. But schools go against the law and write in their own pamphlets that you cannot, even with CHL. If you live within 1000 feet, you have gotta be excluded from any state law that bans coming within 1000 feet with a firearm.

Also, if your walks are on a public street or public path, after hours, I can't imagine how that could be illegal. There are lots of things banned at schools that people very well could have in their cars, on roads, in their houses, and even just walking along the bike path. I would guess it's just a basic rule to try to set the tone that they're serious, but there's no way that could be enforced...especially since you're just minding your own business taking a walk. You're not trespassing anywhere, you're completely off the school grounds.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I would imagine it's the same as here in Georgia. We have the same basic law, however, if your passing by on a public road and not stopping it's alright. Best thing is check with your local authorities.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    I'm in Virginia. My reading, as I recall, says that you can't be within a 1000 ft of a school while carrying, except in a car.

Where did you read that?

Check out: LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.1.

As far as I know, there is no "1000 ft of a school" rule in play in Virginia. I'm not asserting a negative, here. But I do believe that if that were the rule, I would have heard.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Where did you read that?
    I don't recall where I originally saw it, (I am "getting old"), but here are a couple links I Googled:

The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 - Associated Content

Fact Sheet: Gun-Free School Zones

The exemption from the federal law for CCW only applies if the jurisdiction awarding the CCW finds the applicant qualified. Around here, we read that to mean a training course and backround check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links