Opinions on XS "Big Dot" sights?

This is a discussion on Opinions on XS "Big Dot" sights? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at having them installed on a Norinco 1911a1. For close combat sights they really seem to be what I am looking for. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was looking at having them installed on a Norinco 1911a1. For close combat sights they really seem to be what I am looking for.

Will they fit on a Norinco as is, or will the slide need to be cut to accomodate them?

Anyone use them here? Opinions? Pros and Cons? I have found them for sale at Brownells for $90. Good price?

Are there different versions for a 1911a1? If so, what model will fit it?

Thanks for your help.

VIP Member
    I can't help you for your 1911, but I have the Big Dots on my USPc. I love them. The giant dot makes it a great fast acquisition sight, and they're good for people like me who are practically blind without corrective lenses. The tritium is extra handy in the dark - I can find my gun on the nightstand immediately. I've had people complain when shooting my USPc, about the sights not being great for target shooting. Well, they're not designed for pinpoint target shooting; they're for fast-acquisition combat shooting.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Not familiar with these - any pics to hand anyone?

I wouldn't mind adding better sights on the 220 sometime.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    They look good in the magazines. May need to try em. Not sure what your Norinco is set up for, but would imagine ya need a dovetail cut , front and back to install these sights. Perhaps contact the sight manufacturer?

XS website

They do require dovetail cuts fore and aft; I think they use the Novak cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
    For close combat sights they really seem to be what I am looking for.
    I have these on several Glocks.
    If you practice, you will be able to hit at long ranges. They will be a bit awkward in the beginning, but shoot some boxes of ammo and you will love them.
    Very fast at short ranges. In the dark, the big white dot will show up in almost any lighting condition, and you will know where your front sight is!
    Not as accurate at extended (100+ yds) as ordinary sights, but I don't shoot out past 200 yds with pistols.

DC Founder
    My complaints about them are somewhere around here in another thread. If you put them on a gun that is strictly defensive, they are good. If you want to take it to the range and keep tight groups, I would look somewhere else. Betty's point is valid, though. They very well might help with a vision problem, but I don't care for them...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    I have them on my custom 1911 and I think they are great. The factory sights on my Kimber CDP Compact are getting a little hard to see (factory tritium sights are about 5 years old now) and I'm probably going to have them installed on it too.

During steel match shoots I find them to be extremely fast.

I'm 53 now and have trouble focusing on the front sight. If I use corrective lenses to shoot, the sight is very clear but the target gets to blurry. (I only need glasses for near vision).

I don't intend to use my CCW weapon for anything over 25 yards and at that range I can punch out the center of a B-27 with no problem with my Ashleys.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Betty's(and others) post are on the money in my opinion. I do not have these sights on any of my guns. My CCW has tritium and when they start to darken I will install the XS Big Dot's.I feel that some of us get misled by how accurate a CCW weapon has to be. For those of you that can only afford one weapon for,target shooting,IDPA,hunting,and CCW,a accurate weapon with highly ajustable sights is the answer. But it seems that most of us can afford a dedicated CCW weapon. For that we need sights that are FAST,STURDY,and have MINOR,repeat MINOR,adjustments available. Most of us (well maybe some of us)--(weeelll,maybe just me)adjust our point of impact with our ammo selection anyway. My CCW is a (MAX) 15yd. gun. I have sights that will allow me to shoot that distance and hit a target that is the size of a 6" pie plate accurately,and fast. My CCW is not a competition or a target gun. My sights,bbl length,ammo,and the rest is geared toward placeing multiple hits on a man sized target at 7yds. with 15 yds. being a long shot.---------

Senior Moderator
    I'm thinking like Bumper on the big sights. I guess like Bumper implied, I like seeing those tight little groups on the range. For me, it's shooting those tight little groups that build consistency of technique that leads to faster shooting.

I haven't experienced sight issues per se so the Trijicon night sights work well for me.

However, I did install an XS tritium big dot on the front of my older Sig 226 and left the stock rear sight. That produced some interesting results. It was very fast close up and I thought it was more accurate than the shallow 'V' rear groove. When the top of the rear sight is exactly in the center of the big dot it is right on target and accurate.

I've pretty much stuck with the "Standard Dot" on my Glocks and 1911's- still very visible(and fast), but would definitely allow a careful, placed, shot, if needed. OTOH, the Big Dot screams, "LOOK RIGHT HERE!!!!"

Currently have them on two BHPs, one S&W 296, and one S&W 629 Mountain Gun. Like them, and will add them to other guns as time goes by.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Dont have a gun with them on it but want to try a set ive liked them what i shot so far as has been said no good for teenie groups

Assistant Administrator
    KC - can you relate what was involved in getting them fitted? How much machining and costs etc.?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    Chris - I can tell you that they fit into standard dovetails.

I really enjoy mine. I just can't see going back to regular sights for self defense purposes after having them on my gun. In the future all my CCW weapons will be outfitted with them.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links