Firearms in Bars and Restaurants in Virginia

This is a discussion on Firearms in Bars and Restaurants in Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As discussed before, in Virginia, gun owners are allowed to carry firearms in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as the restaurant permits ...

Thread: Firearms in Bars and Restaurants in Virginia

VIP Member

Thumbs up Firearms in Bars and Restaurants in Virginia

As discussed before, in Virginia, gun owners are allowed to carry firearms in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as the restaurant permits it and they carry their weapon openly. Legislation to allow concealed weapons in restaurants serving alcohol passed the General Assembly this year, but was vetoed by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine.

Virginia Citizens Defense League organized the dinner at Champps to prove a point: that the presence of armed customers in northern Virginia restaurants would elicit little more than shrugs.

See:

Guns in restaurants draw stares but little outcry | Lynchburg News Advance
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I guess I am not going to Mike's American Grill anymore... too bad, I really liked that place...
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

I think it's funny that 20 of them walked in for a lunch reservation and NO ONE noticed that they were armed! I'm glad they were able to prove Saslaw wrong.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Im confused as to why only open carry is allowed in these places. A gun is a gun open carried or concealed. The only reason that might make sense is to allow the staff to see them and make sure people don't come in armed. But then a posted sign will do the same for concealed as it would open carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye59 View Post
    Im confused as to why only open carry is allowed in these places. A gun is a gun open carried or concealed. The only reason that might make sense is to allow the staff to see them and make sure people don't come in armed. But then a posted sign will do the same for concealed as it would open carried.
    Virginia Law requires open carry if the restaurant serves alcohol.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

I realize the law is what requires it but as i said having a gun either concealed or open carried the gun is still there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye59 View Post
    Im confused as to why only open carry is allowed in these places.
    Who ever said that the law makes sense?

As I understand it historically the open carry was there first. The restaurant ban on CHP was a later amendment to the CHP law, itself.

The Antis have stated (rather openly in some cases) that they want to create discomfort among the -- thereby cause restaurants to put up those signs and causing more public pressure on the legislature. To some degree the attention has caused some places (such as Mike’s American Grill) to adopt anti-gun polices.

Some feel that they can create pressure by making gun visible. The 's quote
    This is Reston, not Southeast [DC]
    points out a common thread in NOVA -- ignoring the crime in their midst, while looking down their noses at everyone else. To be sure, the VCDL has its root in NOVA and there are pro-gun folk there. But there are a lot of anti-gun and effete there, also.

Even in the pro-gun community (esp the Pro-open-carry segment) are weary of our ongoing attempt to make concealed carry in restaurants -- fearing that it draws attention of the to open-carry and will get legislation passed to stop that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    1. There are no bars in VA, only restaurants that serve alcohol. Some LOOK like bars, but by VA Code, they are restaurants.

2. The vetoed bill that would have allowed CHPs in restaurants would have required us to out ourselves to a restaurant employee so they could know who to not sell alcohol to...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links