Nevada/Michigan Sign Reciprocity Agreement

This is a discussion on Nevada/Michigan Sign Reciprocity Agreement within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There seems to be no logic in how they choose states to sign agreements with. If anyone can enlighten us as to how they select ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nevada/Michigan Sign Reciprocity Agreement

There seems to be no logic in how they choose states to sign agreements with. If anyone can enlighten us as to how they select states please enlighten us and chime in. For example, I live in ID and have an Idaho CWL, but no reciprocity even though we accept NV's (everyones for that matter) and BORDER with them! No sense to me at all.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    There seems to be no logic in how they choose states to sign agreements with. If anyone can enlighten us as to how they select states please enlighten us and chime in. For example, I live in ID and have an Idaho CWL, but no reciprocity even though we accept NV's (everyones for that matter) and BORDER with them! No sense to me at all.
    My thoughts would be you simply need to wait a little while. I was in Las Vegas from mid April to July 1 last year, and at that time, they recognized NO other State's permit. (They will issue to non residents though, so if you're willing to do the class, fee, and register the specific weapon you wish to carry, you can be covered that way).

I just learned (calling somewhere there on the phone) that Nevada had just signed a reciprocal agreement with Utah. Now hearing about Michigan, I presume they'll soon be signing with any State that recognizes their permit.

From this statement (coming from the link in the first post in this thread), it looks like their intent is to add many States (might want to look up Nevada's Senate Bill 237 to see exactly what it says).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective Oct 1, 2007

In accordance with Senate Bill 237 passed by the 2007 Nevada Legislature the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
    Arkansas
    Florida (added January 3, 2008)
    Kansas
    Louisiana
    Michigan (added May 9, 2008)
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Tennessee
    Utah

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    My guess is they'll soon recognize any that will recognize theirs.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    NRS 202.3689 Department to prepare list of states that meet certain requirements concerning permits; Department to provide copy of list to law enforcement agencies in this State; Department to make list available to public.
    1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:
    (a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
    (b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.
    (c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.
    (d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.
    2. The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.
    (Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)
    NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you feel that your state meets the requirements set by the Nevada legislature and was still not included on the list you should ask your state authorities to contact the Nevada authorities to fix it.

Ken

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Then again, maybe not . Just found this link on 237, says it authorizes them to negotiate reciprocity with States whose training standards equal theirs. (Didn't realize there even was training required in Alaska anymore, I thought they'd done away with need of a permit?).
    Of course the language of 237 may have been amended too....

NRA-ILA :: Legislation
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Alaska Honors all other state permits and you don't need a permit to carry in Alaska. But They will issue you a permit if you want one. They made the requirements very tough for one reason only. To sign with every state that would sign for them. They have 32 states that honor their permit. To me this is the way to do it. Let citizens carry with no permit in their home state but issue a permit and sign with every state that will sign with you. They are doing what is best for their own citizens by issuing them a permit.

Those in Vermont are screwed as they can carry in their home state but their state it doing nothing to gain them rights to carry in other states.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    At least FA is attainable here now. But the SBR/SBS and supressor laws really don't mesh well with that, do they?
    SBRs and SBSs are legal only for C&R guns on a C&R FFL license. The suppressor ban is in the same statute as the machine gun ban, the same one that Cox made his ruling. Word is he is supposed to render the same opinion about suppressors, but hasn't done so.

Short barreled weapons are under a different statute and clearly they are illegal unless a C&R item under a C&R license.

Funny thing is, it's even illegal for SOT 3 dealers to have them to sell to LE agencies. If Detroit PD wants a 14.5" semi auto AR15, no one in Michigan can legally transfer it to them. They can't even make one for the agency on a Form 1, since it's illegal to make one in MI, even for Class II manufacturers.

The only way to legally own a <16" rifle in MI is for it to be a machine gun, then the machine gun status "overrides" any length barrel. And because it's a machine gun, it is not considered a pistol under MI law (30" or under OAL) so no "safety inspection" is required.

I'm applying to get status as an NFA manufacturer in MI. I can make machine guns (post 86 dealer sample and LE sales only) and sound suppressors. AOWs are a gray area I'm waiting for clarification for.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links