Shirts

Shirts

This is a discussion on Shirts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there times when the shirt that you wear make you think twice about carrying? Right now, I am about to go out and grab ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shirts

Shirts

Are there times when the shirt that you wear make you think twice about carrying?

Right now, I am about to go out and grab some dinner with the family, and have thrown on a 4H t-shirt, and it made me think about this.

On one hand, I feel odd because I am bringing attention to 4H and don't want to be outed with a 4H shirt on.

On the other hand, concealed is concealed and I won't be outed.

Yes, simple things puzzle - and amuse - me...

VIP Member
    Not in the sense you are asking, just if the shirt will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    Are there times when the shirt that you wear make you think twice about carrying?
    No, but there are times that carrying makes me think twice about the shirt I plan to wear.

I think I see your point about not wanting to be conspicuous, and I agree. The "grey man" principle, if I understand you correctly.

I read something the other day (sorry, can't remember who to give credit to) that said the most tactical person is one who isn't even noticed. That's my goal.

Senior Moderator
    No.

Granted, I won't wear something crude, insulting or inappropriate because it's just that, but if I choose to wear something appropriate for my own occasion then I don't care what people think. My second amendment rights don't mean I need to give up my first amendment ones.

If I wear an NRA shirt, or a shirt that says, ".50 BMG, when you absolutely must punch a hole through the universe," or a Glock shirt or a Smith & Wesson shirt (with a Glock hat or vis versa), or my Hornady hat or my Federal Ammunition sweat shirt, or a Coca-Cola shirt, or a Beatles shirt or any number of tourist shirts my parents have brought back to me from Romania, Bosnia, the Ukraine or Russia, it's no one's business what I wear. As long as my clothing is concealing and appropriate, why should it matter?

Granted, I wouldn't wear anything mentioned above to a wedding or a funeral or a special event as I do have a sense of decency and respect, but if I'm going out to the mall with my husband on a sloppy day I really don't care.

I make a concious decision not to wear one of my old work shirts from workin as a bouncer in bars that says "Security" or "Event Staff" on the back in big yellow print.

Also avoid usually avoid wearing USMC shirts while wearing too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    No.

Granted, I won't wear something crude, insulting or inappropriate because it's just that, but if I choose to wear something appropriate for my own occasion then I don't care what people think. My second amendment rights don't mean I need to give up my first amendment ones.

If I wear an NRA shirt, or a shirt that says, ".50 BMG, when you absolutely must punch a hole through the universe," or a Glock shirt or a Smith & Wesson shirt (with a Glock hat or vis versa), or my Hornady hat or my Federal Ammunition sweat shirt, or a Coca-Cola shirt, or a Beatles shirt or any number of tourist shirts my parents have brought back to me from Romania, Bosnia, the Ukraine or Russia, it's no one's business what I wear. As long as my clothing is concealing and appropriate, why should it matter?

Granted, I wouldn't wear anything mentioned above to a wedding or a funeral or a special event as I do have a sense of decency and respect, but if I'm going out to the mall with my husband on a sloppy day I really don't care.
    However I am sure at this stage in the game, Lima is more concerned about finding clothing thats more roomy than anything else!

BTW how is it going Lima?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

When I carry, I always wear a button front w/collar shirt, untucked as I either carry OWB at 4 o'clock or in my back pocket. I prefer a shirt that's one size up. Think Colombia PFG, Southpole or "camp shirt". (Flannels work too but it's FLA...)

I was raised differently....T-shirts to dinner with family? Nah, not with my father. You get one chance to make a first impression....why be outed in a T, when you can look good!

As long as the shirt is clean, not too tight, conceals my sidearm...it's a go...

It's shorts most of the time anyway (winters may require longer shorts), so usually it's a Hawaiian type shirt just hanging out...no one thinks gun...

Don't worry about it at all...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't wear clothing that describes my affinity for toys that go BANG.

I also don't wear clothing that identifies my occupation, unless I'm at work.

Biker

I have a BATFE shirt that was given to me when a friend graduated FLETC. It has the official seal on the front. I won't wear that when carrying because I'm not BATFE, or anything else for that matter. In fact I avoid wearing it in public as a general rule.

Like I said, simple things amuse me.

I knew/know it isn't really an issue. I'ts just the shirt that I choose to wear, and I do support the 4H program. My wife even went through a program to become a instructor to start a 4H shooting program. (I was supposed to go through the same program with her, but work screwed that one up)...

I would normally wear one of my good shirts, but they were all dirty. The rest of my T's are too tight to wear while carrying... Time to start getting more appropriate attire.

Work clothes are just a nice shirt and jeans, so that's not a big concern. I can't carry at work anyways so it isn't an issue there. But after I get home...

Quote Originally Posted by Grady
    No, but there are times that carrying makes me think twice about the shirt I plan to wear.
    More along the lines of what I was asking...

I grew up on a farm and in 4H, but I can't believe this thread has gone on this long with no one asking what 4H is! I carry all the time, so whatever I'm wearing is my cover garment. I've been doing it long enough that all my clothes are suitably sized to cover.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    I have a BATFE shirt that was given to me when a friend graduated FLETC. It has the official seal on the front. I won't wear that when carrying because I'm not BATFE, or anything else for that matter. In fact I avoid wearing it in public as a general rule.
    I wouldn't be caught dead in an ATF shirt anyway, but that's just me.

Questions I ask myself, in this order....

1) Will it cover my gun?
    2) Will the fiancee approve of my atire?
    3) Didn't I wear this yesterday?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I often wear brightly printed button up shirts, made of polyester, and they hide my carry gun quite well. I have worn these shirts long before I started packing heat, so I didn't have to adjust my wardrobe much except tuck in my under shirt.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I wear shirts that cover my gun and are appropriate for the occassion,I don't think wearing a gun with a 4h shirt is inappropriate,I personally don't wear shirts that have cuss words or other inappropriate language on them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links