Defensive Carry banner

Shirts

4K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Dihappy 
#1 ·
Are there times when the shirt that you wear make you think twice about carrying?

Right now, I am about to go out and grab some dinner with the family, and have thrown on a 4H t-shirt, and it made me think about this.

On one hand, I feel odd because I am bringing attention to 4H and don't want to be outed with a 4H shirt on.

On the other hand, concealed is concealed and I won't be outed.

Yes, simple things puzzle - and amuse - me...

#3 ·
Are there times when the shirt that you wear make you think twice about carrying?
No, but there are times that carrying makes me think twice about the shirt I plan to wear.

I think I see your point about not wanting to be conspicuous, and I agree. The "grey man" principle, if I understand you correctly.

I read something the other day (sorry, can't remember who to give credit to) that said the most tactical person is one who isn't even noticed. That's my goal.

#28 ·
I read something the other day (sorry, can't remember who to give credit to) that said the most tactical person is one who isn't even noticed. That's my goal.
Well it's not going to work if you look like your icon of a famous movie star!

:haha:

Well you could really confuse the sheep. Wear a T-Shirt with the official Gun Buster sign printed on it. Who would dare ask you what that bulge is?

#4 ·
No.

Granted, I won't wear something crude, insulting or inappropriate because it's just that, but if I choose to wear something appropriate for my own occasion then I don't care what people think. My second amendment rights don't mean I need to give up my first amendment ones.

If I wear an NRA shirt, or a shirt that says, ".50 BMG, when you absolutely must punch a hole through the universe," or a Glock shirt or a Smith & Wesson shirt (with a Glock hat or vis versa), or my Hornady hat or my Federal Ammunition sweat shirt, or a Coca-Cola shirt, or a Beatles shirt or any number of tourist shirts my parents have brought back to me from Romania, Bosnia, the Ukraine or Russia, it's no one's business what I wear. As long as my clothing is concealing and appropriate, why should it matter?

Granted, I wouldn't wear anything mentioned above to a wedding or a funeral or a special event as I do have a sense of decency and respect, but if I'm going out to the mall with my husband on a sloppy day I really don't care.

#5 ·
I make a concious decision not to wear one of my old work shirts from workin as a bouncer in bars that says "Security" or "Event Staff" on the back in big yellow print.

Also avoid usually avoid wearing USMC shirts while wearing too.

#7 ·
When I carry, I always wear a button front w/collar shirt, untucked as I either carry OWB at 4 o'clock or in my back pocket. I prefer a shirt that's one size up. Think Colombia PFG, Southpole or "camp shirt". (Flannels work too but it's FLA...)

I was raised differently....T-shirts to dinner with family? Nah, not with my father. You get one chance to make a first impression....why be outed in a T, when you can look good!

#8 ·
As long as the shirt is clean, not too tight, conceals my sidearm...it's a go...:hand10:

It's shorts most of the time anyway (winters may require longer shorts:rofl:), so usually it's a Hawaiian type shirt just hanging out...no one thinks gun...:sheep::smoke23::sheep::22a::sheep::22a: :sheep::22a:

Don't worry about it at all...

Stay armed...stay safe!

#9 ·
I don't wear clothing that describes my affinity for toys that go BANG.

I also don't wear clothing that identifies my occupation, unless I'm at work.

Biker

#11 ·
Like I said, simple things amuse me.

I knew/know it isn't really an issue. I'ts just the shirt that I choose to wear, and I do support the 4H program. My wife even went through a program to become a instructor to start a 4H shooting program. (I was supposed to go through the same program with her, but work screwed that one up)...

I would normally wear one of my good shirts, but they were all dirty. The rest of my T's are too tight to wear while carrying... Time to start getting more appropriate attire.

Work clothes are just a nice shirt and jeans, so that's not a big concern. I can't carry at work anyways so it isn't an issue there. But after I get home...

Grady said:
No, but there are times that carrying makes me think twice about the shirt I plan to wear.
More along the lines of what I was asking...

#12 ·
I grew up on a farm and in 4H, but I can't believe this thread has gone on this long with no one asking what 4H is! I carry all the time, so whatever I'm wearing is my cover garment. I've been doing it long enough that all my clothes are suitably sized to cover.

#21 ·
Head
Hand
Heart
Health

The 4 H's in a 4 leaf clover. We gun toting red necks (as I was recently called in the whole of Obama/Clinton supporters at work) know this kind of country stuff! (again a direct quote from the Clinton supporter organizer!.

Last week they came in and asked me some stupid questions because I was a "gun toting *******" I think that if they knew I carried, it would get really quiet in there from everyone fainting away, or being petrified in fear - hence my shirts (to keep in on topic) are all business/professional.

#14 ·
I often wear brightly printed button up shirts, made of polyester, and they hide my carry gun quite well. I have worn these shirts long before I started packing heat, so I didn't have to adjust my wardrobe much except tuck in my under shirt.

#15 ·
I wear shirts that cover my gun and are appropriate for the occassion,I don't think wearing a gun with a 4h shirt is inappropriate,I personally don't wear shirts that have cuss words or other inappropriate language on them

#19 ·
No, but there are times thinking about what pistol I'll be carrying would make me think twice about the shirt I'll be wearing. I'm mainly a t-shirt jeans person. I'm most always comfortable. I'm also not a real colorful person in means of dress---black and gray or dark blue mainly for the shirt, and pocket tees are nice even if they do make me look like the working man I am. A night out, or a nice restaurant usually demands a button up shirt with collar, and a decent pair of Wranglers. I don't want to get into shoes. So----does carrying revolve around the attire, or does the attire revolve around carrying? That is the question.

#22 ·
as my wife says"he'll wear any color tee shirt as long as it's black."I always wear the same thing..black tee w/ a big button up shirt over it(I'm a fat guy)...and a smith and alexander vest(more for the pockets than CCW reasons.)I pocket carry,so I don't really worry about printing.

#24 · (Edited)
I've got a really nice Broncos sweatshirt, navy w/orange trim. I'm a medium but the shirt is large and hides my P2000 perfectly. It's my favorite cool/cold weather carry shirt. Bronco gear goes almost unnoticed in Colo., everyone wears it.

Now that it's turning warmer I have to come up with something for summer. In the past, I was always 'tucked in', usually wearing snug fitting golf or t-shirts.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of those shirts (they really look like nice bowling shirts) that Charley Sheen wears untucked with shorts on Two and a Half Men.

#25 ·
I wear Mossy Oak tees or plain polos. Cool weather brings out my green USMC sweatshirt. Being outed while wearing a particular organization's label doesn't bother me. I refuse to look at a gun as taboo. However, when I carry openly, I make sure I look extra presentable.

A guy I know once went out carrying openly wearing a Brady Campaign tee shirt.

#26 ·
I don't care about being outed... If that were all it would be, it would be no big deal. But any negative aspect that could be spun is what bothers me.

And I really just don't want a bad name to come to 4H because of it, if I were outed.

I sure hope guns aren't taboo... I just picked up two more of them!!

#29 ·
My company provides us with company logo'ed shirts and jackets. This is the same company that craps it's corporate pants if you even say the word "gun" at work! So I don't carry wearing any of their clothing even off the job just to avoid the Murphy Factor.

Other than that exception... I don't worry about what I'm wearing. :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.