Home Invasion Piece on Good Morning America

This is a discussion on Home Invasion Piece on Good Morning America within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did any of you happen to see the piece on home invasions this morning on Good Morning America? They started out with a couple examples ...

Thread: Home Invasion Piece on Good Morning America

Home Invasion Piece on Good Morning America

Did any of you happen to see the piece on home invasions this morning on Good Morning America? They started out with a couple examples of home invasions across the country. First in NYC a couple was "terrorized" by invaders. In Colorado an invader was repelled and suffered gunshot wounds from the homeowner. A similar example followed in another gun friendly state, I can't remember the particulars. Anyway, I thought it interesting that the examples from gun friendly states had the BG wounded or dead, but places like NYC, where you can't own a gun without the state's permission, the home owner was "terrorized". Of course GMA did not pick up on this at all.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I didn't see it, but it sounds like fair & accurate coverage (for once). I'm sure they didn't intend to, but GMA presented a practical argument for gun ownership. Makes me glad I live in a state where I can defend my family from home invasion with a firearm.

VIP Member
    Makes me glad I live in a state where I can defend my family from home invasion with a firearm.
    Ditto on that! Dad moving our family out of New Jersey back in '91 was one of the best decisions for our family.

havegunjoe,
    Did they discuss "what to do" in case their viewers are victims of home invasions? I'm curious if it's the usual "don't fight back, give them what they want."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

It was more of a discussion of how to avoid an invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Ditto on that! Dad moving our family out of New Jersey back in '91 was one of the best decisions for our family.

havegunjoe,
    Did they discuss "what to do" in case their viewers are victims of home invasions? I'm curious if it's the usual "don't fight back, give them what they want."

They had a short check list which was pretty good. I acctually use most of it in the CCW classes I teach. About the only thing they said if your home has been invaded was to have a closet with a deadbolt inside, and different hinges so you can use it like an inexpensive safe room. Have a light and a cell phone in there too. Their theory is that the BG won't spend a lot of time trying to access it as they are on a time schedule before the police may arrive. I would say most folks would have to replace their closet door with a solid core one too. I don't know how effective this would be as I think a well placed kick would cave a door in.

Another faliacy with the show was they had a reformed burgalur showing how to enter a persons home. The problem is a burgalur is after possesions and typically do not want you home. Invaders don't care, or are after you specifically.

One thing you'll never hear them say is grab a gun and shoot the bum.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; October 21st, 2005 at 11:57 AM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Florida has extended the Castle Doctrine to include what they call 'curtilage' which as I understand it, includes the area around your house such as your yard, driveway etc.
    Gotta love living in a progressive state...
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - even without the ''grab a gun'' recommendation it does sound like that item was at least useful exposure.

Enough maybe to get some fence-sitters thinking!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95 I agree. They did say how home invasions are on the rise. Most folks I would say consider their home to be their safe place. It may come as an eye opener to many to find out that is not true.

VIP Member
    There have been a lot of home invasions in the surrounding countryside that go unreported by the media. However, when police response time is short, in the urban areas, this type of crime gets more news. For some reason, our papers don't want to scare us into making our safety our personal responsibility. They do love to scare us when we can't do anything about it. Know of any Sunday papers that have an "Armed Citizen" column?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Links