Pocket Gun discharge in pocket

This is a discussion on Pocket Gun discharge in pocket within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am bringing this up because I was just informed that one of my friends shot himself in the leg. The details... This man is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Gun discharge in pocket

Senior Moderator

Pocket Gun discharge in pocket

I am bringing this up because I was just informed that one of my friends shot himself in the leg.

The details...
    This man is 64 years old and is a heart patient. He takes nitro pills and keeps a bottle of them in his pocket...the same pocket that he keeps his .32 Keltec in.

He went to grab a pill, and when he reached in his pocket to get the bottle out, it was somehow fouled with his gun, and the gun went off, shooting though his lower leg and stopping in the cab of his SUV. For those that care, it was a Winchester Silver-tip...and it showed little expansion...luckily for him.

He was fortunate. The bullet did not fragment and trash an artery, it just chewed up some muscle and is very painful. He took 4 days off from work ( this happened on a Monday) and finally went back on Friday.

I know that a lot of people on this board carry pocket guns and many of them carry a bare gun in their pocket.

Although I have never recommended carry in that way, and only recommend that you carry in a small pocket holster, the dangers of pocket carry don't seem to get discussed much.

At least in pocket holster designed for such, fouling with other objects would seem to be more difficult.

So here is a friendly reminder to keep you from accidently shooting yourself and ruining your week...

If you do happen to carry a "naked" gun in your pocket, make dang sure that you dedicate that pocket to your gun and ONLY your gun.

DO NOT carry anything else in it...change, keys, bottle of nitro pills, rings, good luck tokens, your kids chewed bubblegum, even a pocket knife could get wrapped up in it and cause bad things to happen.

Life is hard enough without shooting yourself by accident...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

+1

And, if you must pocket carry, and your gun has a safety, make sure it's on. Practice drawing (unloaded, of course), and turning off safety simultaneously. My $.02 worth.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

EW3
    You should NEVER carry a pocket pistol without a holster that covers the trigger up. I don't care how double-action that trigger is.

I always get really nervous when I see these belt clips or other contraptions on small pocket-type guns:

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends. It just goes to show no matter how old you are, no matter how many times you have done something, freak stuff can and will happen. Unfortunately, this was a very painful lesson for him but luckily no one else was injured.

There are two primary rules of pocket carry, IMO: having it in a proper holster (as with any gun), and not carrying anything else in that pocket but the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ... dedicate that pocket to your gun and ONLY your gun. DO NOT carry anything else in it...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I rate pocket carry slightly higher than S.O.B. carry. It's not for me although I do understand why people do it.

I pocket carry every once in a while and I would never carry without my holster. Just too dangerous. Glad your friend is ok.

HotGuns...

Great reminder for all...

Never, never, never...carry ANY gun on you person without the trigger covered in a holster (of some type).

Stay armed...carry properly..stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pocket holsters are cheap... Glad to hear that your friend is ok.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

With a good holster I see no dangers to pocket carry; without a holster... well, as this thread shows, the results speak for themselves.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

The rule should be expanded beyond 'keep your booger hook off the bang switch"...keep EVERY damn thing away from the bang switch unless you're about to shoot the dang thing.

-JT

VIP Member

Doctors are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    Pocket holsters are cheap... Glad to hear that your friend is ok.

Wht
    Yup, pocket holsters are cheap. Doctors to patch the hole resulting from not using a holster are EXPENSIVE.

The economics (never mind the safety) are all in favor of using a holster.

Glad your friend is O.K. Given that he was reaching for the nitroglycerine, this accident could easily have turned into "the big one."

I don't know if it has to be fatal to win a Darwin Award, so maybe he's eligible for nomination....

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I don't know if it has to be fatal to win a Darwin Award, so maybe he's eligible for nomination....
    To be up for the Darwin Award you have to remove yourself from being able to contribute to the gene pool. Whether by death or castration, you just can't be able to reproduce.

I don't think this guy would qualify anyway, sure it wasn't a good idea to pocket carry without a holster, but he didn't pull a "hey ya'll, watch this!" type of move either. Glad he's ok, and this has strengthened my resolve to get a proper holster for my LCP when I get it.

ALWAYS have the trigger covered by a holster, ALWAYS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links