TX: Pro Sports Question!

This is a discussion on TX: Pro Sports Question! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm off to see the TX Rangers play the A's this afternoon and this will be the first time I've attended a Pro sports event ...

Thread: TX: Pro Sports Question!

TX: Pro Sports Question!

I'm off to see the TX Rangers play the A's this afternoon and this will be the first time I've attended a Pro sports event since I've had my CHL, some 5 years now.

I know that I can't carry at the game, but I'm fuzzy about the parking lot... can I leave my weapon in my car while I attend the game?
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

2. Remove Ads

I believe so. Many questions can be asked and answered here: TexasCHLforum.com in case you haven't found your way over there yet.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I wouldn't feel totally safe at a professional sporting event anymore. I went to a Redskins game last fall and I seriously could have gotten a shotgun into the stadium. The security check was pathetic, just two pats, under arms and halfway down on my ribs. They didn't get anywhere near my waistband or lower and there were no metal detectors. Sure, there is a visible UNARMED security detail, but they don't scare anyone. It's better than the other "gun free zones" security wise, but it still would only keep the law abiding citizens from carrying.

Would I go again? You bet your buttocks I would. But I'm not fooling myself into thinking it's safe.

Just curious, you mention that you can't carry at the game, but according to Texas State Law you can if you like.

As long as the park isn't posted with a 30.06 at the entrances (I know Minute Maid in Houston isn't), and depending on security, there is no reason that you have to leave it in the car. Texas Rangers policy is no weapons, but Texas Law doesn't prohibit you, so you are legal, just going against the Ranger's wishes.

I carry at some sporting events in Texas where I know security does not use metal detectors, and they generally don't perform pat downs. Though I went to a Stars game a few weeks ago where they do have detectors (though no 30.06 signage), and I left it in the car.

But to answer the original question, unless they post every entrance of the parking lot 30.06, you can legally keep it in your car with no issues. Best of course to keep it out of view and plain sight (under seat, glove box, trunk).

Enjoy the game!
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    Just curious, you mention that you can't carry at the game, but according to Texas State Law you can if you like.

As long as the park isn't posted with a 30.06 at the entrances (I know Minute Maid in Houston isn't), and depending on security, there is no reason that you have to leave it in the car. Texas Rangers policy is no weapons, but Texas Law doesn't prohibit you, so you are legal, just going against the Ranger's wishes.

I carry at some sporting events in Texas where I know security does not use metal detectors, and they generally don't perform pat downs. Though I went to a Stars game a few weeks ago where they do have detectors (though no 30.06 signage), and I left it in the car.

But to answer the original question, unless they post every entrance of the parking lot 30.06, you can legally keep it in your car with no issues. Best of course to keep it out of view and plain sight (under seat, glove box, trunk).

Enjoy the game!
    I think I need to sit down and get familiar with the new CHL regs. When I took the class, Pro sporting events were off limits... that seems to have changed.

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy the game!
    I went to the TX DPS web site and downloaded the current CHL laws as a PDF file..which is why I can't do a copy paste here... as of Sept. 2007

It still clearly states that it is unlawful for a chl holder to carry a weapon, concealed or not, on the premises of a professional sporting event. PC 46.035

Unless the legislature has meet and made changes since the 07 session this is still the law... or it is how I interperate it.

You might want to look into this before you carry at a pro event again... just to be sure.

It looks like you are right about the statute for professional sporting events. My CHL Instructor had mentioned that they needed too be posted with 30.06 to disallow carry, except on school campuses/school sports which was a never carry area.

Guess will need to do a little more research on my own. Sure glad you started this thread.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

Enjoy the game!
    You are incorrect about the law. Here it is...

PC 46.035.

UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

(5) in an amusement park; or

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.

(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.

(e) A license holder who is licensed as a security officer under the Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies Act (Article 4413(29bb), Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes) and employed as a security officer commits an offense if, while in the course and scope of the security officer's employment, the security officer violates a provision of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(f) In this section:

(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(2) "License holder" means a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree.

(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

It looks like you are right about the statute for professional sporting events. My CHL Instructor had mentioned that they needed too be posted with 30.06 to disallow carry, except on school campuses/school sports which was a never carry area.

Guess will need to do a little more research on my own. Sure glad you started this thread.
    This is what forums like this are for IMO... we help each other. Not one of us here knows everything. I'm glad you didn't get caught and that now you know. Your post also spurred me to look into the law... it's a win / win situation for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    You are incorrect about the law. Here it is...

[B]PC 46.035.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection
    This was the line that I did not interpret correctly. I thought that this subsection applied to professional sporting events as well, but it does not. It applies to hospitals, amusement parks, and places of worship, these places are listed as prohibited for carry to CHL holders, but only if given 30.06 notice.

I knew that sporting events on a high school or college campus were a no carry regardless, but I wasn't aware that professional sports was listed in 46.035 (2) as well.

Thanks to the sheep, I can sit and legally carry in the stands watching 14 year olds play little league, but the moment I go over to the high school campus I have to leave it in the car . . . *sigh*

At least Texas is pretty flexible with where you can carry unlike some states.

Thanks again to BlueMerle so I was able to learn of my error.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    This was the line that I did not interpret correctly. I thought that this subsection applied to professional sporting events as well, but it does not. It applies to hospitals, amusement parks, and places of worship, these places are listed as prohibited for carry to CHL holders, but only if given 30.06 notice.

I knew that sporting events on a high school or college campus were a no carry regardless, but I wasn't aware that professional sports was listed in 46.035 (2) as well.

Thanks to the sheep, I can sit and legally carry in the stands watching 14 year olds play little league, but the moment I go over to the high school campus I have to leave it in the car . . . *sigh*

At least Texas is pretty flexible with where you can carry unlike some states.

Thanks again to BlueMerle so I was able to learn of my error.
    Laws are written by politicians/lawyers. The write them to confuse people so they can keep their jobs.

I think we should be able to legally carry anywhere but a prison/jail. In fact, I wrote my state Rep & state Sen as well as the Gov about this.

Links