I Ran Across This Great Article Yesterday

This is a discussion on I Ran Across This Great Article Yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Author tells it like it is. Caution! You are about to enter a gun-free zone Mike S. Adams - Guest Columnist - 5/8/2008 12:25:00 PM ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Ran Across This Great Article Yesterday

VIP Member

I Ran Across This Great Article Yesterday

Author tells it like it is.

Caution! You are about to enter a gun-free zone
    Mike S. Adams - Guest Columnist - 5/8/2008 12:25:00 PM

I don't have to remind my readers that I spend a good bit of my time disagreeing with campus leftists. Nor do I need to remind them that most of these disagreements are with leftist professors. But, until now, I haven't written about one of the subjects upon which we frequently disagree. That is the subject of whether deterrence theory "works."

Conservatives and leftists (I have a hard time calling them liberals because of their fascistic tendencies) have a fundamentally different view of human nature. Leftists see humans as innately good. That is why they think rehabilitation works. It is also why they think the United Nations is a good idea. If people are innately good then, surely, they can talk out their problems without resorting to war.

But conservatives have a more tragic view of human nature. We believe that people with innately destructive tendencies must be held in check. That is why we so frequently speak of traditional values. That is why we also speak of the need to have a punitive criminal justice system, which serves as a back-up plan when traditional values fail. The ideal system would mete out punishment that is swift, certain, and severe.

In a nutshell, conservatives believe the Reagan military build-up produced the fall of the Berlin Wall. And we believe that criminals, like communists, are on their best behavior when they are afraid.

Ever since I began my transformation from leftist atheist to conservative Christian I've been arguing with professors inclined to dismiss deterrence theory. Those professors usually fall into one of two groups. First, there are those who name a specific "get tough" program that they believe "hasn't worked." Second, there are those who just blandly assert that deterrence theory, in general, "doesn't work."

Today, I plan to respond to both of these groups. Let me start with the second group.

Every time I hear a professor say that deterrence theory "doesn't work" I log on to his university web page to peruse his syllabi. And in each instance I find evidence that he really does believe in the efficacy of deterrence theory. That evidence comes in many forms such the assertion that "plagiarism will be punished under the academic honor code" or "those who miss more than two classes will have three points deducted from his or her final average."

Obviously, these professors seek to deter cheating and skipping class through the medium of punishment, not negotiation. That means the professors are hypocrites – not because they fail to live up to the things they say but because they do not even believe them in the first place.

It is better to ignore these hypocrites altogether. But those in the aforementioned first group should be taken more seriously. Since they tend to rely on specific empirical data rather than broad theoretical assertions, I now invite them to participate in a little experiment meant to assess whether specific measures based on deterrence theory actually "work."

I want all of those leftist professors who say that having a gun in one's home does not deter burglary to do the following:

1. Post a sign on your front door saying "Caution: You Are About to Enter a Gun-Free Zone."

2. Send a post card to DrAdams.org, P.O. Box 319, Wrightsville Beach, NC, 28480. Just note that you have posted your sign and leave a return address so I can mail you a crime victimization survey this time next year.

Next, I want all of those gun owners who say that having a gun in one's home does, in fact, deter burglary to do the following:

1. Post a sign on your front door saying "Caution: You Are About to Enter an Armed Household."

2. Send a post card to DrAdams.org, P.O. Box 319, Wrightsville Beach, NC, 28480. Just note that you have posted your sign and leave a return address so I can mail you a crime victimization survey this time next year.

There are also professors who continue to assert that actually carrying a weapon with a valid permit does not deter violent crime. For those, it will not be necessary to conduct a crime victimization study. There are already 15 refereed studies indicating that concealed carry permits reduce violent crime. While some published studies are inconclusive, none draw the conclusion that the permits increase violence.

Nonetheless, some leftist professors continue to use scare tactics by ignoring the evidence and claiming that concealed carry permits do increase violence. Such assertions are immoral because they are dishonest.

Such assertions are also careless because even those without guns are safer living in areas that allow citizens to carry concealed. This is because violent criminals do not know who has a gun and who does not. But, today, I plan to change all that by asking these leftists professors to write to DrAdams.org to re-assert their opposition to concealed carry laws.

After they send a post card to the address supplied above, I'll send them a free t-shirt saying "Caution: I'm an Un-Armed Citizen." If they get into trouble wearing it, they can always negotiate their way out of the situation.

Dr. Mike Adams is a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington and author of Feminists Say the Darndest Things: A Politically Incorrect Professor Confronts "Womyn" On Campus.
    Caution! You are about to enter a gun-free zone (OneNewsNow.com)
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Lol. I was half way through that article and decided to see who wrote it. This guy is going to be my Summer Semester I professor at UNCW. He is teaching Law of Evidence. This should be a great class now!
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

VIP Member
    Great article, bet he doesn't get many responses from the leftist!

VIP Member
    Great article, we need many more professors like him.

Higher education 'intelligence' finally being properly used...

Stay armed...carry a deterrence...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokin99 View Post
    Lol. I was half way through that article and decided to see who wrote it. This guy is going to be my Summer Semester I professor at UNCW. He is teaching Law of Evidence. This should be a great class now!
    Let us know how the class goes. I'd like to sit in on one myself.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Well I was in a class this last semester with a student that has had one of his classes before. He told me right off the bat that this professor is pro-gun and is not shy about talking about topics to deal with this in class. But yeah I'll have to report back here and let yall know how his classes are.

VIP Member
    Well I was in a class this last semester with a student that has had one of his classes before. He told me right off the bat that this professor is pro-gun and is not shy about talking about topics to deal with this in class. But yeah I'll have to report back here and let yall know how his classes are.
    I sent him a comment on the article inviting him to visit us here at DC. I might send him an email as well.
    George

Mike and his articles can be found pretty regularly at Townhall.com.

He is very conservative, very Christian and sometimes pretty caustic. But, a hoot to read. I always enjoy his stuff. But, then I almost always agree with him. The money he makes from lambasting feminists he spends on guns.

Other articles:

Time to Compromise on Gun Control
    Townhall.com::Time to Compromise on Gun Control::By Mike S. Adams

My New Year's Gun Control Resolution
    Townhall.com::My New Year’s Gun Control Resolution::By Mike S. Adams

John Browning Day
    Townhall.com::John Browning Day::By Mike S. Adams

...and many, many more.

Go here and click on Author Archives for more articles on gun control.
    Townhall.com::Caution! You Are About To Enter A Gun Free Zone::By Mike S. Adams
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Thanks, Mike. I think I know what I'll be reading tomorrow evening.
    George

Hey, George,

On the Townhall.com site you will also find Doug Giles.
    He is a pastor, an avid gun guy and a total smart a, er, aleck.

He says the things I sometimes think, but can't usually say.

Check out a few of his articles also.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for posting this up. I've been enjoying the reading so far!

Thumbs up

I know that this thread is a little over a month old but I just had to bump this. Dr. Adams is probably the coolest and most outspoken professor I have ever had. From talking about guns, to the hypothetical problems we discuss in class, there is never a dull moment. And by the way, he gets free guns from some of his readers and from companies that he rights gun reviews on. I told him that it must be nice.

He posted a new article on Monday 6-9 about how a few professors at UNCW like to infringe on students 1st amendment rights. Well this all started when I told him about a past professor that told our class that when dating ancient times and what not, we had to use "BCE" and "CE" instead of "BC" and "AD".

So if you want to check out a good article go ahead and read up because he told us tonight that he is posting another one tomorrow that is gonna be pretty interesting!

Steve

I know that this thread is a little over a month old but I just had to bump this. Dr. Adams is probably the coolest and most outspoken professor I have ever had. From talking about guns, to the hypothetical problems we discuss in class, there is never a dull moment. And by the way, he gets free guns from some of his readers and from companies that he rights gun reviews on. I told him that it must be nice.

He posted a new article on Monday 6-9 about how a few professors at UNCW like to infringe on students 1st amendment rights. Well this all started when I told him about a past professor that told our class that when dating ancient times and what not, we had to use "BCE" and "CE" instead of "BC" and "AD".

So if you want to check out a good article go ahead and read up because he told us tonight that he is posting another one tomorrow that is gonna be pretty interesting!

Steve
    Hi, Steve,

I read that column by Mike. Interesting, and, IMHO, right on.
    But, I am biased.

Anyway, tell him he has a pastor who loves to shoot guns for a fan.
    And if he needs a good place to give away some of those free guns,
    I'll send my address.

Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Since I started this thread I have read most of the archive of his articles, read all the ones published since, and bought both of his books and read them. I like his beliefs, his attitude, his writing, and his determination to not be run over. Worthwhile read everytime.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links