Centerline Carry article

This is a discussion on Centerline Carry article within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This article was written by a member on another forum to discuss the issues related to centerline-carry. Excellent info. on a very efficient method of ...

Thread: Centerline Carry article

Centerline Carry article

This article was written by a member on another forum to discuss the issues related to centerline-carry. Excellent info. on a very efficient method of carry. I've been carrying a knife or two and my BUG in this manner for the last couple of years and recently found a holster that enables me to carry my primary (G19) in this position.

PDF article: http://www.mdtstraining.com/The%20Ef...ol%20Carry.pdf

And this thread on TPI was started by the same guy. It has quite a few pictures. Total Protection Interactive
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Well he seems to have put a lot of thought into his article and I admit that it does make sense. However, since I carry a full size it is not for me.

Centerline Carry

Early this year, upon purchasing my new SP101 2" barrel .357 Magnum, I elected to go with this principal of carry for one primary reason: concealment. Here in MA, open carry is frowned upon. Although not illegal per se, showing your weapon, in public, can result in arrest and eventual revocation of your LTC. Fine.

I looked at two readily available center carry rigs; the Smart Carry and the Thunderwear. Both seemed to me to be nearly identical in fit and function. I selected the Thunderwear, simply because it was available at a local gun show I attended.

After wearing for almost 4 months now, here is my critique of this product and technique.

First, this rig cost almost as much as a quality leather hip holster, OWB or IWB. $50. is not chump change in my book. However, after this short time of 24/7 carry, my rig is showing sighs of wear; fraying and stretching of the waist band.

Second, regardless of what this article says about your hands and arms being in FRONT of us and being natural, I find it slower to access the gun. Now I'm following the online displayed technique; left hand thumb in waistband pulling out, right/strong hand reaching in and drawing, both hands meeting on the way to the target for support, and finally firing, once the sight picture is achieved.

In order to keep my jeans on, my belt has to be reasonably snug, so the first step in pulling out on the belt causes delay, although this could be equated to the strong hand going to the hip in a typical OWB draw. Next - and most crucial - is that the hammer of my SP101 sometimes gets hung up on the pull out. Not often, as I do practice a lot. But maybe 1/10 times. That's enough to be of a concern to me, although I'm learning to "live with it". (That may be an oxymoron!) This is where a lot of the fraying I'm experiencing is coming from; the hammer pulling on the material of the rig at the sewn point.

Finally, when in the sitting position - chair or car. Very tough to get quick access to your weapon. I don't care what the claims are. It's a fact. I've tried and tried and like I said, I practice A LOT. Not easy to do...trust me.

Although I'm sounding very negative in all this, all in all, I find the rig extremely comfortable to wear. And with practice, you can become fairly proficient with it. Not sure if the material it's made out of will last the year though; which is a valid disappointment.

So, as with everything, it's all about compromise, in one form or another. I do agree with a lot being said in this article. But I'm here to tell you - take it with a grain of salt. JMO!
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Centerline carry is not for me , tried it years ago and found it to be a last resort . With that being said I am of average build being 6-0 200lbs and my pants ( sized for iwb ccw ) are a 35" waist. Not fat by any means but also not rail thin.
    Remember that everyone has a " system " that works for them . What you need to do is find the " system " that works for you , your build , your dress , your environment , ect.. For me the system that works is strong side iwb tho exact belt position can vary from 3:30 to 6:00 depending on the size of the handgun , and the cant of the holster . Some folks have a build where OWB is virtually the only choice , and i have seen one or two that a shoulder rig is the only comfortable way to carry , and know one fella who feels that an ankle rig is just the thing for him.
    While its allways good to read and maby learn BEWARE the fella who says that this works best for me so it must be best for you . I am not you, I dont have your pistols , your job , or your lifestyle . Concealed carry will always involve a compromise about how you dress and act . Just where that compromise lies is up to you to determine. While its true that almost anyone ( including a small gal like Lima or Betty ) can carry a full sized ccw .... Many if not most of us dont or wont . Remember that your pistol choice , your holster/belt( if needed) choice , your dress, and your lifestyle all factor together to make a system . For instance your average police officer can normally carry a larger handgun than you or I because your average police officer both does not do physical work off duty ( for pay ) and in fact faces a lessor penalty if Suzy Q Sockermom notices the weapon and panics on her cell phone . I wear cowboy cut wranglers or levis , boots and a tshirt to work during the summer months , its likely you wear something different . I literally crawl over , under , and sometimes thro equipment . It is likely you dont . My needs for ccw are different than yours because i dont work like you , nor do i likely dress like you do. My choices are right for ME you have to find the choices right for you . However if you do anything other than stand all day and walk to and from work i dobut you will find centerline carry a comfortable option.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thunderwear & Smartcarry are not "centerline," they're deep concealment. The only 4-6 o'clock comparison would be a "crack-holster" Yeah, it is about training in a system, and not everything will work for everyone, however...

Crestliner, if you had a BT IWB, set for vertical-drop, and covered with the proverbial untucked shirt, I think you'd be happier with both the placement of carry and the speed. Obviously, you may not be able to be untucked, unobtrusively, but that is the main reason for "homie-fashion."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Thunderwear & Smartcarry are not "centerline," they're deep concealment. The only 4-6 o'clock comparison would be a "crack-holster" Yeah, it is about training in a system, and not everything will work for everyone, however...

Crestliner, if you had a BT IWB, set for vertical-drop, and covered with the proverbial untucked shirt, I think you'd be happier with both the placement of carry and the speed. Obviously, you may not be able to be untucked, unobtrusively, but that is the main reason for "homie-fashion."
    beat me too it (was away from the computer for a day or so). Nice analogy

Crestliner, For an idea of what the author was talking about re. centerline carry, look at the link I posted to the TPI thread. Or, you can look at my review of the Tucker Cover-Up in the holster section.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

+1 for centerline carry.

I carry appendix-IWB with a 638 and find it ideal. If you try it with a larger gun, you probably will not be too impressed. I use a clip-on holster from El Paso Saddlery called the EZ Carry. Other makers have similar models, I saw a very similar Galco in a local GS. I have one for my PM9 to. The 638 is quite a bit more comfortable for me due to the tapering size toward the muzzle. The square muzzle end of the PM9 adds bulk to an area where you don't want it. Depending on the cut of the jeans that I am wearing, positioning may vary from 1:00 to 2:00. It amazes me that some of my lower cut jeans carry more comfortably than the higher cuts. It doesn't make sense, intuitively, but I swear it's true.

Here is what I like about it. First, the gun is always in front of me, I know where it is. No one is going to touch it or reach for it without my knowledge. I can easily cover it with my forearm when winding through a dense crowd and avoid someone bumping it. Next to pocket carry it is the easiest to draw from without telegraphing. It is easy to draw from while seated or driving. If anyone sees a lump, they probably assume it is a cell phone on my belt.

If I carried a larger piece, I would consider belt slide 3:00 carry but I don't think that I would ever consider anything behind my hip.

Links