"DANGEROUS" RANGE (BULLET TRAVEL)

This is a discussion on "DANGEROUS" RANGE (BULLET TRAVEL) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by A1C Lickey Wait a minute, I know this! Okay...actually I have a general idea, and I know where to find the actual ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "DANGEROUS" RANGE (BULLET TRAVEL)

Wink It's all a numbers game....

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    Wait a minute, I know this! Okay...actually I have a general idea, and I know where to find the actual information. (The M9, M16, M16A2 and M4 info was pulled from AFMAN 10-100 [The Airman's Manual] the M249 and M60 info was pulled from Luke AFB VA 31-2 [Luke Weapons Card].)

M16
    Muzzle Velocity- 3250 fps
    Maximum Range- 2653 m (2901 yds)
    Max Effective Range- 460 m (503 yds)

M16A2
    Muzzle Velocity- 3100 fps
    Maximum Range- 3600 m (3938 yds)
    Max Effective Range Point Targets- 550 m (602 yds)
    Max Effective Range Area Targets- 800 m (875 yds)

M4
    Max Effective Range Point Targets- 500 m (550 yds)
    Max Effective Range Area Targets- 600 m (660 yds)

M9
    Muzzle Velocity- 1230 fps
    Maximum Range- 1800 m (1.1 miles)
    Max Effective Range- 50 m (55 yds)

M249
    Max Effective Range- 1000m

M60
    Maximum Range- 3725 m
    Max Effective Range- 1100m

A1C Lickey
    Most of this is pretty accurate I think. I have some questions. I was taught at the Infantry Officer Basic Course that the max effective range for a beaten area on the M60 is 800 meters not the 1100 you've got. Also the muzzle velocity for the M9 seems a tad high especially for military ball ammo, but since I never wore a 9mm (my era was the 1911) I'm speaking as an NRA Instructor on that one. Cor-Bon is pretty hot ammo and it sizzles out of a barrel in the 9mm at about (IIRC) 1350fps?

The M249 is a 5.56mm right? I think? That being the case isn't the max effective range somewhere in the 500 meter range? Nawww it's gotta be a 7.62x51 for those numbers.

Lessee, you don't mention the Improved T.O.W. and I think the max effective range on that is about 1500 meters, with the max range topping out at 3,750 meters before the wire runs out. LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Useful book KC by sounds of it.
    I am sure if optimal angle used for firing - which is what? Forget - just under or over 45 - then sure the 5,500 (a mile) can be achieved.
    Found this for you in a military ballistics manual :

The optimum elevation for achieving the maximum range depends on the range capability. Large caliber, high-velocity artillery (e.g. the WW1 German Paris Guns) achieved their maximum range of around 75 miles at an elevation of 55 degrees, because aerodynamic drag reduces along with air pressure so the sooner the shell gets up into the thin upper air the further it will travel. Rifle bullets are restricted to the lower atmosphere and their optimum elevation is about 30-35 degrees. For the same reason, an aircraft gun will have a much longer effective range at high altitude than in the thick air at ground level.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    The M249 is a 5.56mm right? I think? That being the case isn't the max effective range somewhere in the 500 meter range? Nawww it's gotta be a 7.62x51 for those numbers.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the M249 is 7.62...the M243 is 5.56

As far as handgun rounds running out of steam, I seem to recall reading that Elmer Keith killed an elk or deer (don't remember exactly) at 400+ yards with one of his .44's.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

OD*
    M249 is 5.56

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m249.htm

Never heard of a M243?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator
    A round comes down with the same force it went up, less a bit for wind resistance.
    Not true.

The farther a bullet travels the more energy it loses.

If you shoot a bullet straight up....it will eventually stop and then start its drop back to earth.

The only energy that bullet has is the weight of it being dropped. Once it acheives is terminal speed, that is all the energy it will have.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the figures KY

Re the Paris gun - never fails to amaze me seeing old footage, just how long that darned barrel was, not to mention ''whippy'' - and thus those sorta cable deals. I guess Saddam and his ''supergun'' project was going just a few steps further!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    M249 is 5.56

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m249.htm

Never heard of a M243?
    You're right...When I said 7.62, I was thinking about the M-240

I don't know where the M243 thing came from, the 243 is a grenade launcher, not a machine-gun. I need to quit posting after a 10-hour shift.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I don't think I've ever heard of a 243, even as a grenade launcher. I think you're thinking about the M-203, the grenade launcher slung under an M-16 barrel.

A1C Lickey

The M243 smoke-grenade launcher is used to spread a smoke screen quickly. There are two four-tubed launchers, one on each side of the engine compartment hatch cover. Eight smoke grenades are simultaneously launched electrically from the gunner's position.
    Link
    Sorry, didn't have time to look for a pic.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links