Texas CHL waiting period

Texas CHL waiting period

This is a discussion on Texas CHL waiting period within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to know if anyone in here from Texas was awaiting their CHL. I applied for mine in March and have now been told ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas CHL waiting period

Texas CHL waiting period

Just wanted to know if anyone in here from Texas was awaiting their CHL. I applied for mine in March and have now been told from the Texas DPS that the wait time is now expected to be 60-180 days! My boss at work has his CHL and swear they are suppose to issue a CHL within 60 days by law. Of course he's had his for years, is the wait list this long? Anyone else in here having to wait this long?

I believe you are right about the 60 days by law . . . it looks like you may have a longer wait ahead of you.

But some good news for 2a, bad news for those waiting on permits:

DPS swamped after requests for handgun permits rise 39% | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Texas caught off guard as more seek handgun permits
    Some point to anti-gun politics as applications rise 39 percent and swamp the state

By JANET ELLIOTT
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau
    TOOLS
    Email

Get section feed
    Print

Recommend (5)
    Comments (360)
    Yahoo! Buzz
    RESOURCES
    ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO STEPS BACK
    During the week that ended Friday, DPS said, it processed 1,043 original and renewal applications but received 1,871 requests.

AUSTIN Demand for concealed handgun licenses has risen nearly 40 percent in Texas in a year, an increase being attributed to many factors, even presidential politics.

Though the exact cause may be unclear, what's certain is that the spike in applications has caught the Department of Public Safety unprepared.

The state is taking a month longer than the 60 days allowed by law to process original applications and 80 days longer on renewals, which are supposed to be handled within 45 days.

"We're trying really hard, but there have been delays because of the tremendous increase in applications," said Tela Mange, a DPS spokeswoman.

She said the department is paying overtime and hiring temporary workers to reduce the backlog. Mange said she doesn't know why applications last month were 39 percent higher than they were in April 2007.

But Ross Bransford, who trains 1,000 Texans a year to qualify for a concealed handgun license, said he believes the looming 2008 election is a big factor.

"People are not sure what's going to happen after the election," said Bransford, who owns Austin-based CHL-Texas.com. "Both Democratic candidates are anti-gun in one fashion or another."

He said Sen. Barack Obama, who is leading the race for the nomination, is a "friend of (Democratic Senator) Ted Kennedy, and that scares everybody to death."

Other instructors mentioned an increased interest from young adults after last year's Virginia Tech massacre and recent changes in Texas law about carrying concealed weapons.

In 2007, lawmakers granted privacy to the 258,000 license holders by closing records that had been public since the concealed handgun law passed in 1995. They also extended the so-called "castle doctrine" defense to persons who use a gun to protect their vehicles, in addition to their homes.

45 minutes on hold
    Alice Tripp, legislative director for the Texas State Rifle Association, the state affiliate of the National Rifle Association, said she hears daily from frustrated members about the delay in getting licenses.

She said some have been put on hold for 45 minutes when they called DPS to inquire about their licenses.

"They are really quite alarmed and annoyed," Tripp said. "They sat on hold, and had gotten no answers."

Last month, she took her group's concerns to a meeting with DPS officials, Gov. Rick Perry's legislative director Ken Armbrister and House Law Enforcement Chairman Joe Driver.

Driver, R-Garland, is demanding weekly reports from DPS on license applications. During the week that ended Friday, DPS said it processed 1,043 original and renewal applications but received 1,871 requests.

"I was very surprised at how far behind they are," Tripp said.

Renewal every 5 years
    She said she can't understand why it is taking so long for renewals, because people with handgun licenses are continually checked against criminal databases and other records. Licenses must be renewed every five years.

"If you find yourself subject to a protective order, someone will knock on your door and take your license," she said.

Mange urged license applicants to use the DPS Web site to enter basic information required on the permit. Tripp said her members who have used the Web site tell her it does not speed the process.

Tripp said there is no grace period for expired handgun licenses.

Everyone seeking a license, and certain renewals, must take classes that cover safety, state law and conflict resolution. They must submit fingerprints, which DPS sends to the FBI for a background check, and a photo. They must carry their license when they carry a concealed handgun. There are some restrictions as to where concealed handguns can be carried in Texas.

Applicant's suspicions

Ron Freeman, a CPA who lives in Wimberley, said he was asked twice to redo fingerprints that were taken at a local constable's office.

He finally agreed to DPS' suggestion that he use an electronic fingerprint device run by a private company.

"I have a feeling that the Department of Public Safety is using the process as a filter to keep people from even having a gun," said Freeman, 60, who moved to Texas from Arizona last year.

Marsha McCartney, who represents the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said she was surprised to learn that so many more Texans are applying to carry guns.

However, McCartney said she is more concerned about an expected battle in the next legislative session over whether the law should be changed to allow college students to carry guns on campus.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

I just got mine this tues. after a wait of 96 days, so your in for a long wait brother.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I submitted my app about two months ago. After a problem with the app (I forgot to sign the check *doh*) I received my PIN a week or so after that was fixed. I'm sitting at just over one month at "Processing application".

Check texaschlforum.com. Unfortunately it will be a long time...sent mine in March 19, still not in processing application time. CHLS tells me it will take 4-6 weeks just to get entered in the system
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

I took my class at The Shooter's Club on April 22nd and 23rd and they told me they're at about six weeks turn around time but were up to 12 weeks a few months before that.

I hope I don't have to wait six months for my license.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    My boss at work has his CHL and swear they are suppose to issue a CHL within 60 days by law. Of course he's had his for years, is the wait list this long? Anyone else in here having to wait this long?
    Texas Husker Fan, something is wrong if you just applied for your license and you don't know the law. Just how did you get through your CHL course without covering the section on ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES - Application Review and Background Investigation?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Contact your state rep, give him your application number and the timeline. If you have a sympathetic and helpful rep he will call DPS.. mine did (Leo Berman)

I had mine issued by the end of the day.

60 days is the state law, but they are DPS.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

TX Husker, due to a typo, the legal law is actually up to 90 calander days, but they are not meeting that requirement either.

If you applied in March I would just about forget you ever applied, get your Utah or FL non-resident permit and when your TX one comes in(a few months after your Utah Non-res permit) you can throw it in the trash or hang it on the wall to remind you of the time and money you wasted to try to excercise your rights.

The Texas permit is indeed taking well over 100 days for most applicants. And that is assuming everything is 100% correct. Simone over at DPS sends the same form letter to everybody who complains and if you call to complain you will be on hold for 1-3 hours and then it will drop you in a voice mail(which probably has exceeded its message limit so you will not be able to leave a message)

I will NOT be getting my renewal from Texas. The only reason I have a TX CHL is my application was free under the Active Duty Military clause that waives the application fee and I got mine before all of the crap that seems to be permeating out of the Austin DPS office started.

We'll see if they get their act together after the Legislature session in 2009.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The law states 60 days before a denial letter, letter informing that additional time will be needed or issuance of license. The 60 day count starts from the date of the letter transmitting your PIN number, NOT the date they received it (although that is the proper start date).

They are not sending the extension letters out but it can take up to 180 days.

I am not sure what typo Kerbouchard is talking about.

Try sending an email to your state representative. They are the ones that provide budget and funding for the DPS.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gljaxon View Post
    The law states 60 days before a denial letter, letter informing that additional time will be needed or issuance of license. The 60 day count starts from the date of the letter transmitting your PIN number, NOT the date they received it (although that is the proper start date).

They are not sending the extension letters out but it can take up to 180 days.

I am not sure what typo Kerbouchard is talking about.

Try sending an email to your state representative. They are the ones that provide budget and funding for the DPS.

Charles Cotton over at the TXCHL forum explains it better than I can. Here is a link.

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - When does the 60 day clock begin to tick???
    Summary, they have 60 days to process an application after it gets to the designee. The DPS has up to 30 days after reciept of application to get it to the designee.
    Once the DPS hands over the application to the 'designee'(the person doing the background check), they are supposed to have 60 days to either issue the license, deny the license, or request more information. If they request more information your clock 'stops' because they do not have a 'complete' application. If you do not respond in the 90 days to a request for more information, they terminate the license process.

Basically, if they hold off a full 30 days to start the background check, they have an additional 60 days to process it...which is where you get 90 days. Apparently this 'typo' will be fixed in the 2009 legislation so that it is 60 days all inclusive.

Either way, it doesn't matter, they aren't coming close to 60 days or 90 days for most of the New Applicants.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The last time I renewed, I got mine within 45 days......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gljaxon View Post
    Contact your state rep, give him your application number and the timeline. If you have a sympathetic and helpful rep he will call DPS.. mine did (Leo Berman)

I had mine issued by the end of the day.

60 days is the state law, but they are DPS.
    So, what recourse do you have if they're four months behind and you get your license six months after filing? i.e. What sense does a law have being on the books if they can break it at will and not suffer any penalty? The only entity that can enforce the 60 day law is law enforcement but what are they going to do against DPS?
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    So, what recourse do you have if they're four months behind and you get your license six months after filing? i.e. What sense does a law have being on the books if they can break it at will and not suffer any penalty? The only entity that can enforce the 60 day law is law enforcement but what are they going to do against DPS?
    I had the same concerns. I contacted the State Attorney Generals office and they said they had no control over DPS and suggested I contact my State Representative. That worked like a charm.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

the question i have is what penalty does the dps face when they do not process the icense within the time period?

its not like they start issuing chls.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links