I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged) - Page 3

I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged)

This is a discussion on I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dcb188 Just as an aside, state laws vary tremendously. One solution here was to just keep the gun in your car. In ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Just as an aside, state laws vary tremendously. One solution here was to just keep the gun in your car. In my state it is a felony to leave a firearm unattended in a motor vehicle. Just an example of how state laws vary and sometimes when we discuss things we are thinking (naturally) about the laws in our state, as that is really all we have to go by.
    Nope, this changed (for the better in 1998).

Many still believe it, but Chief Ron Glidden hammers it into LEOs heads that it is perfectly legal and stated as such in MGLs. Gotcha in MA is that the gun must be UNLOADED to legally store it in a vehicle. Unloading a gun in your car can be a dangerous thing to do, but that is what the law requires if you leave it behind.

Note: You can store a loaded gun in your home as long as it has a trigger lock (I know, not smart if loaded), some sort of locking device (e.g. S&W Internal Lock qualifies) or is otherwise locked up.

Nobody said that the laws were written by smart people.

Ahhhh. thanks Len. A LOT of us still believe(d) it. Also, for the info of others, it is interesting that in Mass, when you buy a used or new gun in a store, you cannot take it out of the store without a lock on it and if you did not bring one, then you must buy one and put it on then take it out...kind of amazing they do not require a lock on it when you are carrying for protection, just so the bad guy doesn't get hurt...and there are all kinds of handguns that are banned in Mass that are common in other states.
    Could all this be why Sturm Ruger left Connecticut for other pastures???????
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I walked into Post Offices unarmed for many years prior to carrying, and did not suffer the slightest inconvenience.

In most locations throughout the world, you can walk around for years and never have anything happen.
    You can walk down the same street ten thousand times.
    But none of those prior trips mean that nothing will happen just because it never has. As I said, no victim of a fatal accident ever had that happen before either.
    Crime victims are not victims because they are repeatedly raped or robbed or accosted. It only takes one time. Whether they lived in their houses for thirty years and never has a burglar come in. Has nothing to do with tonight.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't prepare for the unknown. Just that I'm not going to be shaking in my boots at the thought of 'going naked' in the rare instance that I need to enter a post office or other federal building where carrying is unfortunately prohibited by law.

And especially not to the degree that I'd send my unarmed wife in my place, because I'm too scared to do it myself (as suggested by the OP).

You are absolutely right about that. I feel the same way exactly. Unless something happens all the time at that particular post office but besides that, I would not avoid it for any reason like that given. I misunderstood you completely, Rifter. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    And especially not to the degree that I'd send my unarmed wife in my place, because I'm too scared to do it myself (as suggested by the OP).

I was gonna say that, but well, I guess I was trying to be nice.

You're just a little more direct than I am, Rifter!
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

1943 - 2009
    This is the sign posted in my local Post Office.

You legal eagles can decide for yourselves what it means.

I don't carry in the P.O.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Wow. I always figured they were prohibited just because it would figure that a fed bldg would be, but then others said it was legal. That sign kind of says it all, though, if the others want to rethink it......It doesn't look legal anymore to me, to carry in a post office.

thats the odd thing about 18 usc 930.

under section d(3) section "a" doesnt apply if the firearm is carried for "other lawful purposes".

that sign leaves the relevant sections off.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me about the logic behind banning firearms on the premises. Do the people in charge that make these policies really think that their sign is going to prevent a criminal from bringing a gun and doing acts of violence? I have never heard of a bank robber who left his gun in the car because the bank had a sign in the window banning firearms. You always hear of citizens, who obey the law, putting up their guns. Does the federal government think that by banning guns at all the post offices it will keep someone from going "postal"? Maybe the government should ban everyone from driving cars and that would keep drunks from killing pedestrians. Maybe the government should ban all candles so that there will be no more house fires. Maybe its time for all the elected officials in government to let the law abiding citizens of this country decide what is right and what is wrong. Maybe. Maybe its time for another "Boston Tea Party".
    Sing it!! Time to rise up!!

I cannot carry daily because I'm either working in the school (elementary), or doing research at the university. Both places are 100% ALLOWED CHL carry by Oregon law, but both places (certain districts and the UofO) have made up their own rules saying we cannot carry on the premesis. And get this. They have also stated that guns are not permitted, CHL holders NOT excluded, at school events and functions held on AND OFF school grounds. Woooow.

I don't feel vulnerable at either place, although it's obvious that by banning CHL holders from the university campus it creates a safe haven for criminals. Perfect place, huh? Young college women walking to and from class and their dorms.

crzy4guns is dead on. Funny how officials are so paranoid about school shooters that they ban the good guys thinking that that will keep out the bad guys. It's backwards thinking...how did they get elected if their brains think backwards...especially in extreme matters of safety. Oh, I forgot........guns kill people, haha. Uuughhh, that's literally their sole mindset on the matter.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me about the logic behind banning firearms on the premises. Do the people in charge that make these policies really think that their sign is going to prevent a criminal from bringing a gun and doing acts of violence? I have never heard of a bank robber who left his gun in the car because the bank had a sign in the window banning firearms. You always hear of citizens, who obey the law, putting up their guns. Does the federal government think that by banning guns at all the post offices it will keep someone from going "postal"? Maybe the government should ban everyone from driving cars and that would keep drunks from killing pedestrians. Maybe the government should ban all candles so that there will be no more house fires. Maybe its time for all the elected officials in government to let the law abiding citizens of this country decide what is right and what is wrong. Maybe. Maybe its time for another "Boston Tea Party".
    I think you are mistaken. Please see video below regarding the effectiveness of gun free zones.

YouTube - Gun Free Zones - 1/2 Hour News Hour

Where does it specifically state that I can't carry into a Post Office? I've seen people actually carry a rifle into the Post Office during deer season, and have yet to see any response to it. I understand that some states have laws against it, but where and what is the actual Federal Law? I guess I should actually someday ask my son to research this as a B.D. present.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by LabTech View Post
    thats the odd thing about 18 usc 930.

under section d(3) section "a" doesnt apply if the firearm is carried for "other lawful purposes".

that sign leaves the relevant sections off.
    True. The ref to 39 CFR 232 is pretty straight forward though.....

Quote Originally Posted by akhimark View Post
    I think you are mistaken. Please see video below regarding the effectiveness of gun free zones.

YouTube - Gun Free Zones - 1/2 Hour News Hour
    I got to admit I have never seen that video before - that is a keeper! I am forwarding that along to some anti's I know!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links