I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged)

This is a discussion on I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; on Saturday while helping an old lady with the auto mailing machine in the Post Office. The dreaded black snuby shilloette surrounded by the slashed ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I had to go to the Post Office today...(Merged)

Made the mistake of looking up

on Saturday while helping an old lady with the auto mailing machine in the Post Office.

The dreaded black snuby shilloette surrounded by the slashed red circle was on the bull board about 2' above my head and normal gaze.

It said no yadda yaddas etc in Fed Buildings and prescribed severe punishment.

Memory may be failing but recall discussion here or somewhere else a few years ago that indicated since most POs are leased by GSA they technically do not fit the criteria ... not gonna bet much on that one.

The other, according to my recollection possibly more substantial, exception to the then stated rules was that folks in hunting regalia or involved in other legal business(like getting my mail) were, by oblique omission, authorized to carry.

Having worked for the Feds I know that often their regulatory reach exceeds their regulatory grasp ... IOW they may be bluffing but their employees mostly do not know it.

Normally I could stash it in the car ... but the PO is over a mile from my home and part of a 3-5 mile walk each day. Port Angeles is a mellow town but I sometimes go at night.

What gives?
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Dont we have a currently running thread on Post Office carry?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ice-today.html
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    i wouldnt be suprised if there werent two...

You know, I was just at the post office yesterday and I saw a similar posting , this one said something along the lines of "against federal law to have firearms in posession in post office" or something like that. Is it illegal to carry in a post office?

This sign did not say illegal to carry in a PO it said Federal buildings (there are exceptions to even court bldgs) but there are undoubtedly exceptions.... as there are to virtually all laws.

I did search ... nada.

18USC230 I think.

Lead Moderator
    This question pops up often, however so far no one has provided a legal precedent or test case. I would strongly suggest not being the guinea pig on this issue.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    YES, there is currently a very active thread on this topic. One where David and I have taken totally opposite views of the law and regs.

Do a search and you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    This question pops up often, however so far no one has provided a legal precedent or test case. I would strongly suggest not being the guinea pig on this issue.
    I wouldn't want to bet on a Fed Dist Ct in my area (or CA) ruling per the Fed Law on this or anything else involving firearms. My personal opinion is that inbreed prejudices against anything to do with firearms makes it close to impossible to get a truly fair hearing in many courts in those districts.

Lens--
    Thanks I checked your posts and found one of yours ....a good useful response similar to what I suspected.

WA is a good state to carry and my county esp so....anyone who tried to bring charges would be tossed from office.

So as Crosby, Stills and Nash sang,,,''Carry On''.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; May 13th, 2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: 12345

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Memory may be failing but recall discussion here or somewhere else a few years ago that indicated since most POs are leased by GSA they technically do not fit the criteria ... not gonna bet much on that one.
    There is great debate about the legality of carry in the Post Office. As a federal law enforcement officer, I will be the first to tell you that it is NOT legal. However, there are many folks on the board who will argue the opposite. No hard feelings, they just have to be prepared to defend themselves in federal court and fight to get their CCL back. If they win, more power to them. I personally think the law should be changed and persons with permits should be legal in the PO. That being said, I see a serious legal issue in the above quote...PLEASE don't get confused about leased property. If a property is leased by GSA, it is still "federal property" and all federal laws apply. Perhaps you are thinking of small post office service desks that are actually run out of commercial establishments. Those are generally NOT leased government space. Just wanted to clear that one issue up. If GSA leases it...it is "government property" and subject the Title 18 and the CFR.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Why not continue the discussion in that other thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ice-today.html

Gonzo, why don't you contribute to that discussion there?

I recall a firearms attorney with a website on this particular topic.

Gonzo (to be answered in other thread if you choose), what's wrong about the cited USC (that is partially stated on posters under discussion)?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

From the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Gonzo (to be answered in other thread if you choose), what's wrong about the cited USC (that is partially stated on posters under discussion)?
    Len,
    Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I go to my neighborhood P.O maybe once a week.

My Evil Weapon hangs out in my vehicle for the 10 minutes it usually takes.

So far the only criminals I've run into are on posters on the wall.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

According to what I heard during my recent CHL Class here in Texas was this: Not only carrying in a PO is illegal, a felony, but it's illegal to even possess a firearm in the parking lot. You are required to park across the street and leave your firearm in your vehicle. Not for nothing, wheether it's true or not I can be convictedif found, I'm not going to take any chances. Simple as that... PERIOD. I don't love my firearm that much to not part with it for a few minutes of my life where I'll be running the risk of doing hard tiime from committing a felony. I last 41 years on this earth without even handcuffs being put on my by someone with a badge (play time is different) and I don't plan on getting it done to me anytime soon.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

In Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership, p. 67, Jon Gutmacher lists the places in FL where you cannot carry with your CWFL.

10. Any other place a firearm is prohibited by federal law, including any federal office or building. This means, amongst other places--a post office, IRS, social security. ...if you go into a store that sells stamps or has a small post office inside it should be a "contract post office" pursuant to 39 CFR 241.2. Such a site should not be considered a federal office or building as the regulation defines it as being wholly private. Thus, there should be nothing illegal if you have a valid CWP on you.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links