Anti lawsuit bill passes

This is a discussion on Anti lawsuit bill passes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, congress passed the bill preventing gun companies from being sued when a gun is used to commit a crime and the president said he ...

Thread: Anti lawsuit bill passes

Anti lawsuit bill passes

Yesterday, congress passed the bill preventing gun companies from being sued when a gun is used to commit a crime and the president said he will sign it as soon as it reaches his desk. Since gun makers can now feel safe knowing they won't be forced into bankruptcy if one of their products is misused, do you think we, the law abiding American gun owner, user and carrier will reap any benefit in the way of new products and (though doubtful) lower prices?
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    ra - doubt we'll see any beneficial changes. Certainly not soon anyways.

I still have a feeling that manufacturers will be ''litiphobes'' and play safe so as not to even give a chance for litigation. Some have been so battle-scarred as to be probably more than a little leary.

Maybe way ahead if they feel the ''dust has settled'' - just perhaps we'll see useful changes or additions - but I won't hold my breath!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I hope so, but I won't hold my breath.
    As a side note, I heard today that the usual suspects (Brady Bunch, VPC...) are going to file a lawsuit to have this law overturned. Typical - when they don't get what they want through the legislative process, they do an end run around the will of the people and take it to the courts.

I don't think there will be immediate, noticeable changes, either. But it's certainly another victory for our side.

As for the Brady Bunch... let's be fair. If an anti-gun law was passed, I'd certainly want the NRA to file a lawsuit to have that law overturned as unconstitutional or Bravo-Sierra... or both.

Any idea where we can view this "Bill"?

Mike

Agree w/ Ibex. They're just doing what they can to cover their collective sixes. Doubt that the law will have any immediate or expansive effects on us regular gun owners.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member

There has been some anger expressed through because it contains the "trigger lock" amendment as well as the "armor pearcing(sp) bullet study" amendment.

Some on our side is not happy with these getting through.

What gets me is that the brady bunch is trying to get the law overturned on Constitutional grounds. What is the irony in that!

They will judge shop and get it overturned, most likey will use a California judge to do it. They have great friends in the 9th circus court so they will try to get it there, which will suck for Oregon.

Ron Paul, R-TX, voted NO on the bill. Saying that it should be left up to the states to decide, that it was a states issue.

I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, the gun companies keep on winning but the cost of the suits is driving them under (and keeping guns higher for us to purchase).

Also, what gets me is that heart attacks kill more people per year then the abuse or use of guns. Yet the day before, they passed a bill stating that you can't sue fast food for making you fat, or having heart attacks, yet I didn't see a press release from anyone, especially the brady bunch and vpc, about that.

I mean, our kids are considered obese, mainly from eating fast food, mainly because their parents are not parenting, and these kids are getting diabetes(sp), having other problems, some that do kill them, but I don't hear the "If it saves just one child" mantra from them.

Why is that?

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    Why is that?
    I think Wayne this can be labelled a ''slanted or biased'' approach. Bit like with media in general - mis and dis-information is almost the norm!!

Anti's will promote their cause any which way they can and selective reporting is sure one good way.

So much is down to ''issues and agendas'' - a favorite topic for Ex Soldier.
    Chris - P95

Now is the time to give to the NRA and GOA!

OK, now this is really significant...and the whine of the anti-gunners is music to our ears!

For those who are not NRA members...get off your duff and join...here is proof of what strenght in numbers can do. Victory is sweet...do what you can to ensure future victories for gun owners!

Gun Owners of America are reported to also have played an important role in getting this passed.

Hunting Coyotes,

Working on life time membership, only $200 away (so I can vote mainly).

Chris,

True, but what is bothering some folks (and I'm fence sitting, I don't know what to think right now), is that since the mandatory trigger lock thing got through, but what if it expands? Safes, mandatory inspections, etc... like they had in England?

And then the "study". All of us know that most handguns and all rifles will pearce level I and II vests. Rifle rounds aren't stopped until Level IV and that is with the trama plate hits, not on the armor itself.

Kennedy, Kerry, and other dems have been saying that they don't wish to take away your hunting rifle, but kennedy tried to ban most rifle calibers by calling them AP rounds.

It seems to me that a door or doors may have been opened that will not be of the liking that we wish.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    True Wayne - I am firmly of the opinion that opened doors are hard to close.

Over time however I think in ''dust to settle'' terms things could improve but as I said - alarm bells have been rung and so manufacturers will probably ''play it safe'' and so locks and other undesirable trivia will probably continue to be brought out - just in case things go sour again.

Oh how I wish, culpability and responsibility was where it should be - on perpetrators.
    Chris - P95

Links