First Big Day

This is a discussion on First Big Day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally received my LCP last friday. Blew through enough ammo to pay for the gun a second time over the weekend and carried Sunday for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Big Day

First Big Day

Finally received my LCP last friday. Blew through enough ammo to pay for the gun a second time over the weekend and carried Sunday for the first time.

Went for the obligatory Wally World Walk. No nachos just popcorn chicken. Bought the ammo and picked up some prescriptions and groceries.

Observations: Did not expect my heart to pound walking through the sensor/detector panels at the doors. There is such a stigma to carrying a gun even though it is legal with a permit and provides for the safety of those around me. Also quickly realized I was the only one worried about the lump in my pocket. I looked like every other Joe out there. Buying the ammo at the counter had a very "in your face" feel.

After that i drove to Springfield, MO on business and hit the main Bass Pro for an hour before they closed. The staff there were definitely more observant than the ones at WalMart. It was clear they had a number of plain clothes employees walking about as well. Purchased more ammo at the pistol range and some dry lube for the LCP.

Observations: Senses are definitely elevated. I assume this will calm down over time as indicated in other threads.

Then carried during my first meal. Establishment was not posted and not a bar so all went well.

I could not carry today as my customer's site is posted. Surprised I already felt exposed. Plan on carrying the majority of the time from now on.

Yesterday was a very good day. Thanks for all the encouraging posts on this forum. It makes a difference.

Will be posting a range report on the LCP in the next couple of days.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Congrads And yes carrying can be a whole new experience, it sure heightens the senses.

Keep us posted on the LCP (it's on my short list)

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Congrats, it will only get easier. Like putting on your socks after a while.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Congrats!

I am not advocating breaking any laws, but, in most places a posted sign that says "No Firearms Allowed" isnt a legal warning. It simply means the owner of the business doesnt want you to carry firearms on his property. That does not mean that it is illegal to do so. Illegal is any place the FEDERAL or STATE government has made illegal through Federal or state law.

Many grocery stores, department stores, convenience stores, etc., all have signs saying no firearms allowed. That doesnt mean they can legally keep you from carrying your weapon. It means they can have you removed from the building or not allow you access IF THEY KNOW you are carrying a weapon.

If all of us that carry simply didnt carry into places we normally go just because of a sign, then we would be unarmed most of the day.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

the "nervousness" will go away but believe it or not you will become even more "observant". Enjoy your new "freedom"
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Congrats!

I am not advocating breaking any laws, but, in most places a posted sign that says "No Firearms Allowed" isnt a legal warning. It simply means the owner of the business doesnt want you to carry firearms on his property. That does not mean that it is illegal to do so. Illegal is any place the FEDERAL or STATE government has made illegal through Federal or state law.

Many grocery stores, department stores, convenience stores, etc., all have signs saying no firearms allowed. That doesnt mean they can legally keep you from carrying your weapon. It means they can have you removed from the building or not allow you access IF THEY KNOW you are carrying a weapon.

If all of us that carry simply didnt carry into places we normally go just because of a sign, then we would be unarmed most of the day.

Ditto. In private places like you're talking about and even hospitals, they actually have to give you a written warning in Oregon. If the hospital "catches" you carrying, they write you a warning in which case if you are caught again, charges can be pressed evidently.

Congrats!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Congrats!

Hey Mac - Congrats from a fellow Barra clansman! Victory or death! Al

Congrats...on the new permit!

Stay armed...be another armed shopper...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When my second largest customer asks me not to carry I tend to respect their request. We went to the class together so I can't hide the fact I have my permit. Their request relates to the business they are in. Firearms would be more of a hazard than protection around some of these materials. Technically they paid for at least part of the pistol...

VIP Member
    Now ya gone and done it... you're one of us!

Congratulations!!!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Congrats!

I think you are wrong abut the law, at least in some states. In some states if a business is posted with a legal sign, it is illegal to carry there.

If the sign does not conform to the State AG's specification then it is not illegal, but if you are made and asked to leave you must do so or you can be charged with trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by easterngray View Post
    Hey Mac - Congrats from a fellow Barra clansman! Victory or death! Al
    Armed and ready! Hope to make it over to Barra to see Kisimul someday...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I think you are wrong abut the law, at least in some states. In some states if a business is posted with a legal sign, it is illegal to carry there.

If the sign does not conform to the State AG's specification then it is not illegal, but if you are made and asked to leave you must do so or you can be charged with trespassing.

You made my point for me again. It isnt ILLEGAL to carry into these posted places. However, if exposed, you will likely be asked to leave and if you refuse, then you can be charged with other charges such as trespassing but there is no offense really committed just by carrying there. The law about signage is simply for the sake of the store owners rights. For him to "legally" post that you are not to have firearms on his property, he must, as a business owner, post signage that conforms to "state" or "federal" regulation. If his signage isnt in compliance, he basically has no cause to have you leave (is my understanding of this). It is similar to handicapped parking and access. These parking spaces and access areas must be "properly" marked according to regulation or they cannot enforce a "no parking/handicapped" reservation violation.

The duty to prevent firearms from being brought onto private business property is one of the business owner, not of the private armed citizen to discern.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Congratulations! Welcome to the "club"!

If his signage isnt in compliance,

How does one know if posted sign is in compliance with requirements?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links