Defensive Carry banner

VA CHP wait time

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  matdicdad 
#1 ·
I am waiting on my CHP in Virginia and I was wondering what the average wait time for VA residents.

#2 ·
What county are you in?

I am in Fairfax, just turned mine in a few weeks ago...lady at the court house said its just at 45 days. A coworker who lives in Loudoun got his a few weeks ago; their TAT was 14 days. Apparently, for Fairfax County, the reason for the delay is b/c the police are back logged...it is taking over 30 days to get the background check completed.

#5 ·
Mine took a week. :smile:

A VCDL supported law went into effect on July 1st, 2004 which provides that if the court has not issued or denied the permit within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification.

If you are having a problem with getting your permit or de facto permit, the Circuit Courts in Virginia are supervised by the Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court and he has expressed concerns about the way the various Circuit Courts have been flagrantly violating the law. It is strongly suggested that you complain directly to him. Be polite and provide as much detail as possible - names, dates, comments made by officials, documents provided by officials, etc.:

Chief Justice
Supreme Court of Virginia
100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
Richmond, VA 23219

#8 ·
So I guess someone hit your area?

They are processed by the county, so it is based on the county you live in. Some counties, Fairfax, wait the maximum allowed time to deliver your permit. Some, Loudoun, issue when the process is complete.

The thing we know for sure is that it will be by 45 days.

#12 ·
I think I waited 27 days for mine, if I remember right.

Wht :hand10:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.