Taking a Trip from TX to FLA

This is a discussion on Taking a Trip from TX to FLA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all, later this month I will be taking a vacation to FL and will be goin through LA, Mississippi and Alabama along the way. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a Trip from TX to FLA

Howdy all, later this month I will be taking a vacation to FL and will be goin through LA, Mississippi and Alabama along the way. I checked on Handgunlaw.us and it showed that my Texas CHL will be honored in each of these states including Florida.

Anything in particular I should look out for along the way in regards to any oddball state laws that differ largely from Texas?

Thanks,
    Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

check at texasconcealedcarry.com and look at the other states forums on places that may be no carry zones that are different than texas
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TarletonRanger View Post
    Anything in particular I should look out for along the way in regards to any oddball state laws that differ largely from Texas?
    I carry two resources when I travel (drive or fly). The first is the map you referred to. The second is a current copy of the traveler's guide available here. Gunlaws for the 50 States
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

If you're traveling I-10, why not stop in Biloxi for a spell. 26 miles of beaches, great food, 24 hour gaming, historical attractions, fishing, family attractions and shopping.

You should not have too much trouble here in MS. I think we have the same basic list of prohibited places as most other places. In addition, our "no carry" signs must be clearly visible from 10 ft. You don't even have to have a CCW for your car, so no sweat there. Enjoy the Hospitality State.. although I assume you won't be with us long if you are driving from Texas to Florida.

Thanks all, I'll be traveling I-20 for the most part since we'll be visiting family in Alabama and then we'll be heading down near Destin, FL to hang out for a week or so. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into anything completely different than what I'm used to!

Jake

When you are driving between states, isn't it required that the gun be unloaded, ammo stored separately, and not accessible (immediately) to driver?
    That is what I have always heard, but am not sure about it or if it has changed.

So it is not just state laws that control but a federal law re transportation of firearms? I don't know, am asking if anyone has heard of that statute.
    Last edited by JD; May 14th, 2008 at 10:14 AM.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    So it is not just state laws that control but a federal law re transportation of firearms? I don't know, am asking if anyone has heard of that statute.
    Obligatory IANAL-- This is not legal advice!

There are federal laws governing the interstate transportation of firearms, but they are usually concerned with doing so in the commission of a crime, or as a gun dealer.

If you're carrying a load of pot from TX to LA and have a gun you've violated federal gun laws, in addition to several other state and federal laws. Having a CHL with a reciprocal agreement with the state you've traveled to would not be a defense to prosecution in this case. (and you wouldn't have a CHL for very much longer)

With a valid CHL, and while traveling in a state that has a reciprocal agreement with your home state, and assuming you're not violating any laws specific to that state, I don't believe that you are in violation of any federal laws. (be careful to follow all the laws of the state you're in)

That is the purpose of states entering into reciprocal agreements.

This is just my opinion.
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

Should I call any specific TX department to find out additional information on this?

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by TarletonRanger View Post
    Should I call any specific TX department to find out additional information on this?

Jake
    Is this question about my post above?

If so, I would say you should go to the BATF&E web site, or call them regarding federal law.

Personally, I don't worry about violating federal law, and concern myself with following the laws of the state(s) I'll be traveling through.

This is not to say I'm not concerned about federal law, just that as I said above, it is usually concerned with the interstate transportation of firearms during the commission of a crime, or for the purpose of committing a crime.

Again, it's just my opinion.
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

When you are driving between states, isn't it required that the gun be unloaded, ammo stored separately, and not accessible (immediately) to driver?
    That is what I have always heard, but am not sure about it or if it has changed.
    That's what the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986 allows if you're driving through a) a state where you don't have a CCW permit or b) a state that doesn't recognize any CCW permits you do have or c) an anti state. The OP mentioned his TX CCW is recognized in all the states he'll be passing through, so he can carry it loaded and concealed on his person.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I did not know if federal law controls when a firearm is being transported across state lines for legal purposes, even though you are legal in all the states you are traveling through.
    I heard that it did, but that was some time ago, and I never deal in federal law these days at all, so wondered if what I heard was still in force or long since repealed or changed.

I see now, rmarkob, thanks.
    Last edited by JD; May 14th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quoting from the Traveler's Guide to Firearms Laws of the 50 States: "Individuals transporting firearms through a certain state that would otherwise view such transport as illegal may do so under this law if the weapons are unloaded, cased and stowed in a trunk or vehicle storage compartment which is not readily accessible to the occupants." The law reference is the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986.

If you are legal to carry in the state you travel through because of reciprocity with your resident or non-resident ccp, you are good to go armed concealed.

I have an Ohio resident permit and a New Hampshire non-resident permit. Here, courtesy of the forum USA Carry Forums - Powered by vBulletin in the map I carry when I travel.

Attached Images
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Mississippi law permits a handgun in the vehicle.

MS Code 97-37-1 paragraph 2: (2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

Mississippi's concealed carry law does not require notification if you're stopped by LE.

I've traveled from Georgia to Arizona by way of I20 with no problems. If you have a Texas CCW it's good all the way to Florida. Have a good trip.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links