Firing semi - from inside, something.

This is a discussion on Firing semi - from inside, something. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Revo's have an edge because from pocket they can if needed, be discharged - just a big burn hole in pocket and pants/jacket. Semi's are ...

Assistant Administrator

Revo's have an edge because from pocket they can if needed, be discharged - just a big burn hole in pocket and pants/jacket.

Semi's are not so forgiving as we all know.

Did occur to me tho - with this ongoing situation with Sue - that now having got her sorted out with a gun - the Bersa - my next hope is to get her to wear a belt and a rig. Until then tho she will purse carry - my wife is same and so far resists all efforts re wearing a belt!

However - strikes me that if a purse is large enough then discharge from within - even with a semi should be possible, only tho naturally if last resort.

Sunday afternoon will hopefully be another training session for Sue (wife too if I can get her along) - plenty of practice, rapid fire this time and - practice at deployment of the piece from purse - I guess that is still a ''draw'' of sorts!

Sue has a large purse and so I will hope to see whether she can gain a starting grip inside that which not only facilitates a clean and fast draw but - whether it would leave enough space for gun to function, if needed. No wish to trash her purse, of course but - worth assessing.

My wife's purse is too small unfortunately - gotta give that more thought.

Semi - big purse/bag - viable to shoot? What say you?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yes that would be a worry i know a gun most of my semis wont cycle in any of my coats

Because of my work, and my back, I wear a fanny pack on some occusions. And even though it's a "gun pack", the draw isn't as fast as the belt rig. You can also get hung up when you are under stress.

Also, purse, as well as fanny, have the "grab and run" aspect. I was talking with a person and he mentioned that grab and run artist use a knife to hit, cut, and run (cut the strap).

With a semi, you have the problem of something causing the slide to not fully come back and then go back into battery. But something that many don't think about, if your revolver has a hammer that is exposed, it may also catch on something. The only thing that will ensure that the revolver is good to go is a hammerless revolver.

On body carry is the best way to go. What the ladies need to do is to find some books on women carry that was written by a woman. We men have no idea how different their body is from ours when it comes to this.

Wayne

Administrator

Question Well,

You know with a semi...you're going to get the first shot off.
    What happens after that is a mighty good guess?!?
    Nothing too good though I imagine.

Assistant Administrator
    True QK - but I am now intrigued to try and assess the potential for multiple shots from a purse - or to be more precise - reasonable size shoulder bag.

I know the ''cut and run'' is chosen method for thieves but if I have my way then any student of mine will - in situations of risk - have hand in purse and on gun well before any snatch! Chance therefore of retaining gun control.

Hmmm - much research to do here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

About a year or so ago, I bought several jackets/coats from Goodwill. We tried several handguns from the jacket pockets.

My two concealed hammer guns (S&W 296 and 642) worked fine. Kel Tec was a single shot, ejected shell went into action each time it was fired. H&KP7M8 seemed ok--very small ejection port, and empty did not find its way back in, but I would want a lot more tests with P7 before trusting it.

All in all, I would not hesitate with concealed hammer revolvers. I would avoid autos.

No fires, no burning material, but this was just one test.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Moderator
    I think it was Massod Ayoob that wrote about a guy carrying a revolver in his coat pocket and when he tried to fire it, it wouldn't fire because pocket lint blocked the hammer. IIRC, it resulted in the guy being killed.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    What QKShooter said. Also with a revo the cyl's gotta spin,the hammer's gotta go back and forth also(unless your using a concealed hammer). With the power of some of the auto's out there,firing in a pocket, I would imagine that the biggest trouble that you'd have is with the inside of the pocket keeping the brass from fully ejecting. I feel that otherwise the weapon would cycle. If partial ejection is encountered the weapon would be on it's way(real fast after the first shot) outta my pocket anyway and I would plan for a slide rackin'. --------

My .02 worth is use a bobbed hammer for shooting from purse or pocket. My wifes setup is a purse that is not a typical purse, but more taller and not as wide. It has a holster in the pocket kinda sort of like a fannypack you have to pull on a tab to open it. Shooting from it would be impossible.
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 GM
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 Champion

Links