How long handguns - how long carry?

This is a discussion on How long handguns - how long carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First BB gun about 1947, First Firearm 1954, Been carrying since the Watts Riot in LA (I lived in Inglewood at the time) and I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long handguns - how long carry?

First BB gun about 1947, First Firearm 1954, Been carrying since the Watts Riot in LA (I lived in Inglewood at the time) and I am still carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    been shooting since I was a kid. Actually several forms of competition with the NRA junior program. Airguns, .22 pistol and rifle , hi power service matches as well as L.E. training and hunting since age 12.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Had .22 rifles and shotguns when a kid at home but no pistol's or revo's. Didn't even shoot a pistol til I joined the USN in late '64. And then, didn't really like them. Shot/trained with pistols when in school in Jax Fla. and in Calif. Started to get sweet on 'em and never looked back. Mostly used a S&W 39 and a 1911 during my early years overseas and then a .357 revo and still later a Colt 1911 during my last several tours. The military gave me the opportunity to really learn the art of the pistol and to appreciate what could be accomplished with the use of that weapon. I love all weapons but have a special fondness for 1911's.---------

Owned my first BB gun at 12, first rifle at 15, first shotgun at 18, first handgun at 23, carried off & on since the late 70's and finally got a CC permit a few years ago when I was in my early 50's.

Shot my first gun (.22 bolt action rifle) at 10, my first shotgun (12g auto) at 12 and first handgun (.455 Webley my dad got during WWII) at 18.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Assistant Administrator
    I was thinking back even further - in fact if I exclude firearms per se - I had my first air pistol, a smoothbore, in very early teens - others (rifled) followed as well as air rifles so - in actual shooting terms did start early.

Probably the one significant ''edge'' that gave me as I progressed thru the years was knowing what a correct sight picture meant - plus trigger control - not too bad a way to start.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Owned my first 22cal rifle,at 13 years old, shotgun at 13, first 22cal Colt Woodsman at 16, and 1911 45ACP a18 years old. At 18 I got a M1Grand for $65.00 and got M1 Carbine for $20.00 throught NRA. Then at 19 years old I got all the shooting toys I ever wanted.

I started to carry when i was 14 but
    that was only out in the boonies with
    the parents.After moving to arizona
    from alaska in 1988 i was out of guns
    for a short time.I opened carried in
    phoenix for 13 years starting in 1992.
    I got my CCW in febuary of this year
    and carry 16/7.

Been into handguns since i was 5 or so couldnt get a carry permit real easy till late 2003 got my permit begining of 2004

I was given a single shot bb gun at 3, Dad gave me a 22 at 5, I bought my first centerfire rifle when I was 15. my first pistol at 18. I'm 59 now and have caried since I was 18.

Administrator

Very Early Age

And packing in PA. since before the State changed to "Shall Issue" ~ back in the days when you needed to get permission from the County Sheriff before you could legally carry.
    It was not really difficult to get "permission" to carry if you had good references and no past criminal history.
    My first carry handgun was a Colt 1911 "Box Stock" Govt. & then later a chopped DETONICS .45 & sometimes a S&W Hammer Shrouded J~Frame Bodyguard. I also carried a Freedom Arms Mini .22
    I always carried legally.

Assistant Administrator
    raevan - welcome - classic and pleasing shooting history. That is a long time to have carried, great.
    Chris - P95

I shot my first handgun, a Colt 32-20 PPS, when I was 6. It was my dads and now it's mine.

Been carrying as long as I can remember. Never occured to me back in the 60's and 70's that it might be illegal to carry so I never asked. After all, we do have the right to keep and bear arms, don't we? What part of "shall not be infringed" is too difficult for our elected represenatives to understand?

I never got caught, not even when I lived in D.C., because I never gave any LEO a good reason to suspect me of anything. I did have one ask if I minded if he search my car. I told him I minded very much and the answer was no. He started to give me the old "if you have nothing to hide" routine and I told him that if he had probable cause that he didn't need my permission and if he didn't have probable cause then why was he harassing me? The stop ended and I went about my business. Good thing too becasue I really didn't want to give up that S&W .38 SP that was in my glove box.

I Bought my 1st handgun in 1986. A S&W 586 no dash that I still have today.

1st carried CCW in 2002 as we just passed the CCW law in Michigan.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Been shooting since I was a kid.Got my Pistol permit in 2001...got my restrictions off in 2002 and have carried almost every day since.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Tony - saw you post and realized you'd joined recently - have yet to say Welcome.

I am assuming from your handle and location - same TonyB from THR yes? Good to have you here.
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links