How long handguns - how long carry? - Page 3

How long handguns - how long carry?

This is a discussion on How long handguns - how long carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First shot when I was at the "you'll shoot your eye out stage", no compass on the stock though. Shot a muzzle loading pistol as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long handguns - how long carry?

First shot when I was at the "you'll shoot your eye out stage", no compass on the stock though. Shot a muzzle loading pistol as a youth (about 8-10 yrs old) in my back yard for a couple summers. Looking back I don't know how we got away with it (we only have about 3/4 acres of land). Shot on and off growing up, rifles, shotguns, pistols...my dad has a decent collection, but not an avid shooter. Got MY first gun at 16, side by side 12 gauge for christmas, oh I was happy. Got my carry permit almost 2 years ago, carrying for about a year when I'm actually in PA. Carry the XD, and my collection will go as far as my bank roll will allow it with consideration for my other, also expensive, hobbies.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Shooting since I was about 6 with a pellet gun. First pistol was an old .22 given to me by my grandfather.
    Got my carry permit in 1996 when TX passed the law and carry 16/7. Never far from reach when I'm at home.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

My uncle was visiting one day when I was about 5or6 and pulled an old Daisy pump bb gun out of his trunk. We sat on the picinic table for hours shooting at my parents trash cans. I was hooked.

I Went squirrel hunting with my friend and his dad when I was 10 and shot my first .22 rifle. First shotgun at 14 and handgun at 17. Started to carry at 21 (legal age in indiana) and have carried ever since. I am 39 now and I don't leave home with out one.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ilfishin
    My uncle was visiting one day when I was about 5or6 and pulled an old Daisy pump bb gun out of his trunk. We sat on the picinic table for hours shooting at my parents trash cans. I was hooked.

I Went squirrel hunting with my friend and his dad when I was 10 and shot my first .22 rifle. First shotgun at 14 and handgun at 17. Started to carry at 21 (legal age in indiana) and have carried ever since. I am 39 now and I don't leave home with out one.
    It is 18 years of age in Indiana;
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    A BB gun (Daisy elbow pump) at 7. A .22 (single shot) in scouts at 10. 12ga (Ithaca Featherweight) at 13. Became a liberal for 8 yrs. Got mugged at gunpoint. Got married. Became a conservative and started learning the art of the rifle (303 , AK, Wincheser100 308, Ruger77 338) and handgun (Blackhawk 7 1/2 45 convertible, WWII hardballer, Gold Cup, High Standard)+ reloading/casting 1973. Competed while my eyes would have it. Permit to carry 1980. FFL 1990. Started instructing 1995. Certified by state as instructor school 2005. Still learning.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Are you from Indiana OD? I guess I was miss informed.

I am 49 yrs old. I have been around guns,of all types,since i can remember. My father was full time Army and until i was almost 14 yrs old, that all i knew.My dad got out, we located here in Tennesse and i have been hunting ever since.
    Got my conceal carry permit in 1998.
    Took my first real training in 2003 and i have been carrying daily since then.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ilfishin
    Are you from Indiana OD? I guess I was miss informed.
    Yes sir, NE corner.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Started shooting in about 42, first handgun in 45, first 1911 in 46.

Carried most of my life--from military to armed citizen after retirement from military, etc.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Former US Marine here, that was my first real gun experiances...

Did some long gun shooting at hunting camps and ranges (But I don't hunt), but never owned my own gun. Had a friend/customer offer to trade me a Stainless PPK/S for some motorcycle parts (my business) so after the trade, I owned my first (certainly not last) handgun.

I still have the PPK/S, the wife has a Bersa Thunder and I am considering an XD or P99 for my next one, and the wife likes Glocks.

My area has gotton a little worse for wear, and we own a retail business, so my wife and I carry almost all the time now. Both legally CCW here in PA.

Ive been shooting rifles for 22 years (Im now 28). Deer hunting has been a tradition on my family for a very long time. I got my first .22 when I was 12, and a .30-30 when I was 13 (Ive been deer hunting since I was 13). At 16 I competed in precision rifle for the N.R.A., where I became a state Champ.
    My family is from the boonies of N.Y.S., where there was very little crime. They were never really into handguns. Then I moved to Syracuse.... I got my handgun permit when I was 26. My first handgun was my dads old Ruger .22, and I bought a G19, and a T/C Contender. Since then Ive been busy trying to learn as much about handguns, as I know about rifles.

I've been around guns pretty much all my life. However, my dad is one of the "shotguns are the only gun you need, NRA is too extreme, what do you want a pistol for?" kind of guys. I got my own 12 gauge at 15 or 16. With my dad's attitude, I kind of repressed my interest in guns until college when I moved out. In college, I met a couple of guys who had experience with guns. One was much like me but was more open about his interest while the other was a non-traditional student who carried a Colt Defender pretty much everywhere his AR CHL would allow. I ended up with my first handgun, a used S&W Model 66, in November of '01 at 22. Got my own CHL in March of '04 at 24. I've gone through several different types of handguns looking for the best ones to suit me and have just in the past eight months or so taken an interest in rifles.

I've also been involved with getting at least 2 guys "into" guns and was pretty much the sole responsible party for two others. (Gave one his first handgun, a Springer GI 1911 and the other his first firearm ever, a hard-chromed CZ-75 pre-B.)

Barrett

Assistant Administrator
    Just a thx for so many responses - probably fair to say overall - we all started pretty early, one way or another
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I was born and raised in the suburbs of NJ and didn't have much opportunity to do any shooting, and I think my dad automatically assumed I "wasn't interested," because while he took my brother out duck hunting, he never asked me.

We moved to the countryside of TN when I was 12, and it was then my 15 year-old brother asked if I wanted to go outside and shoot an empty drink can. I said, "Yeah!" He took out the little .22 lever action dad gave him, expertly gave me the basic safety lessons, and we killed the can. When dad came home from work, he was surprised when I proudly showed him my riddled can. He happily included me in any shooting activites after that, and it was naturally easier, since we had 100 acres as a backyard and TN is much more gun friendly.

I went from that .22 straight to a shotgun - either a 12 or 20 gauge, but I remember being particularly attached to dad's Winchester Model 12. I pulverized my first clay, which was apparently hilariously funny for my brother, watching his scrawny 90 lb. sister wield that shotgun with glee as he rolled in the grass laughing.

I bought my first handgun right on my 21st birthday. It "confused" the TBI background check, and it initally turned me down saying I wasn't old enough. The shop owner had a few words with them on the phone (do the math!), they corrected their error, and I walked out with a brand new Walther PPK/S.

I got my carry permit shortly after that.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Started shooting .22 rifle around 1958 (age 10 or so). Around 18 acquired an Erma La .22 (resembled the P08 Luger, but blowback) for target shooting and a Walther P38 9mm for self defense. Kept it in the car or around the house, but did not carry.

CO became a shall-issue concealed-carry state in 2002 and I got a permit and Glock 21 in 2004.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links