How to introduce the wife to firearms?

This is a discussion on How to introduce the wife to firearms? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My problem is that if I buy anything that is not by design Ambidextreious, then I have to by two. With one suitibly modified!!! The ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to introduce the wife to firearms?

Not a Problem (I Think)

My problem is that if I buy anything that is not by design Ambidextreious, then I have to by two. With one suitibly modified!!!

The PRICE!!!!!! AAAACCCCAAAACCCKKKKK

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like I might get to add a new toy to the chest, I might be able to get that one (a nice little .22 pistol) past the wife if I can convince her it's in her best interests. Anyways, I think I'll also heed the advice of a firearm training class for her and check out what's in the area. Before I buy anything though, it'll probably be a good idea to take her to the gun shop and let her pick up a bunch of different models to see what feels good for her, and then if they have a similar rental let her shoot a couple boxes through it to see what she thinks. If all goes well, the wife should be nice and comfortable/proficient with a handgun by the time CCW rolls around in our state
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Conceal This.

Talking

My wife was so-so on a gun for her, she finaly bought one that she felt comfortable with, she still needed to be coaxed out to the range tho.
    Signed her up for a basic pistol course and now she has her CCW so a class might just be in order.
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 GM
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 Champion

Tater_salad,

A few years ago when I married my wife I was in the same exact boat. She was pro-gun but had never fired a gun (her father was of the opinion that a woman should never touch a firearm...).

She had absolutely no interest in handguns - so we started out with the shotgun. She was a natural at busting clays and loved it - in fact I couldn't keep her from embarassing me at the trap shoot. That translated quite easily to squirrel hunting... but that's another story.

The next step was of course the .22 - and this may be a better starting point. From there it was a .38 special revolver (she still doesn't like pistols) and she now has her CCW permit and carries on a regular basis.

For her - it is all about recoil. She doesn't mind a rifle or shotgun since you can absorb the shock with your body in part. But she doesn't like the hard recoil of a handgun so prefers the lighter recoil of the 38. A .22 revolver (or pistol) is a great investment since it will not only get her shooting a lot - but is good practice for yourself as well.

Good luck!

Joe

Assistant Administrator
    Interesting thing Ron - strikes me once we get our spouses or other ladies over the initial stages, things get easier.

My efforts of late with wife and our friend Sue - have led to them now actually asking me when we can go to range again I hope to achieve another session today and of course I think thing is, as they get better and more competent so they have greater confidence and actually gain way more enjoyment, and so wish for more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry, I agree, I think that when my wife gets over the inital difficulties associated with learning about safety, learning about the weapon, learning to shoot, and getting good, that's the hard part. I just want her to get to the stage where she's comfortable with everything enough and hopefully starts to enjoy shooting as much as I do. Baby steps, baby steps, but we'll get her there. I think I want to get her to that point so that by the time we get CCW in WI, she will have the training (and hopefully the will) to carry for her own safety.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Conceal This.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links