"I Don't Want to Be One of Those Gun People"

This is a discussion on "I Don't Want to Be One of Those Gun People" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Euc, I believe Scott has nailed it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "I Don't Want to Be One of Those Gun People"

OD*
    Euc,

I believe Scott has nailed it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

2. Remove Ads

I guess that I am what he was thinking of, not kkk crap but Southern:

-Caucasian male
    -My Fathers only Son (true child)
    -Grew up in a semi-racist home. Got over it. Found that everyone has the same blood flowing through their veins as I. Just look different but I like that.
    -Office administrator (I call it being a file jockey)
    -Prior Air Force
    -Disabled Veteran (why I'm no longer Air Force)
    -Will give anyone, everyone the time of day.

Now some "not" so obvious traits of a gun owner:

-Gay (non-practicing, other reasons)
    -Was invited to join MENSA from the online test. Didn't carry through to have a member come to my home to give the written/oral test. No interest in them or their organization.

Traits that are stereotypical of gun owners:

-Drunkard (not alcoholic that I know but maybe ?).

I don't think that "thick headed" really knows what a gun person really is. Or even who people really are. We tend to put everyone into some sort of stereotype or judge them and then either get rid of them (if they have the power) or to demonize them. It's just so much easier to put people into a box and judge them, then to really try to understand them, as individuals.

Wayne

From the above comments I believe we have a very strong American wall to withstand any of the worlds trash they wish to throw at us. Very impressive people all from all walks of life. We have quite a mix here of intense patriot Americans. We are fortunate indeed. Very proud to stand with them(I am a 20 year vet).
    Richard
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Seeing as so many ''profiles'' been added, better put in my own simplified version - to prove how ''odd'' I am as a gunny!

Caucasian male.
    Raised by good people. Some early mil' experience only.
    First marriage - 1972 thru 1988, two very normal and shooting kids, with their own kids now.
    Qualified as osteopath 1967 - practiced thru 1974 when ceased that due to own back problems.
    Night station manager London radio station mid '74 thru end '74.
    Short term filler job 6/12 - audio viual sales (yuk!)
    Clinic Superintendent at old college 1975 thru 1977.
    Started own business (engineering plus) 1977 and moved to SW (Devon County).
    1992 - back to University.
    1995 graduated B.Eng Systems 2.1 Hons.
    Worked for self still - R&D and prototyping.
    Slid more into web, data conversion and graphics scene
    2000 - trying to be semi retired - moved over and married my beau ... 2 step kids.
    To present time still pretending to be semi retired! - still web oriented matters part time.

Pretty wierd stuff eh - very ''far out'' and extreme thus making me a wierd gun nut
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Euc,
    You've got a huge load of patience I lost a long time ago on people like that. There's only so much you can do before you realize you're wrestling a greased pig.

Betty
    - a middle-class, 27 year-old, half-Asian, half-white, Yankee-born female with a Bachelor's in Graphic Design and Advertising, who moved to TN in the spring of 1991 and saw for the very first time round hay bales, and learned that her new neighbors are the most hard-working, honest, trustworthy, dependable people on the planet.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Bigots is bigots ... whatcha gonna do?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    32 y/o white (Irish and Muskogee indian) guy.
    Finished college, twice. (long story)
    ordained minister
    The only son of a policeman/machineist/disabled
    No debt (not even credit cards)
    home paid for
    never been in a fight, unless you want to count that one incident in grade school...

Euc,
    He reeled you in like a fish, but I would have more than likely took the bait too. You represented yourself and us very well. The reactions and comments I have read here make me proud to be a part of this forum. Everyone kept thier composure and didn't go flying off the handle. Way to go guys and gals.

Euc;

I think your obvious talent for dealing with adolescents in your teaching career gave you a leg up on Thick Headed.

That said, AND NO INSULT INTENDED, somebody once said something like...

"Never argue with a mule. It only annoys the mule and makes you look silly."

I'll freely admit, I'm usually a magnet for clowns like Thick Headed who only want to agrue for the sake of argument. The older I get, the better I am at bailing on lost causes at the earliest possible moment...and the less I care about what nimrods think of me.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

VIP Member
    Me:

- Hispanic
    - Bilingual
    - Born/raised in the "hood"....Spanish Harlem (NYC)
    - Single father of two (for over 10 years)
    - Federal agent
    - USAF and ANG veteran (currently in the AFRES) for past 16 years as an officer (currently an O-4)
    - Used to be Goth kid (still listen to the stuff)
    - Besides shooting, other top hobbies/activities are photography and cooking (especially cheesecakes)
    - Mom is a retired teacher; Dad retired blue-collar worker
    - Christian
    - Favorite books: Bible and "The Illiad"
    Last edited by srfl; October 24th, 2005 at 01:35 AM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...ead.php?t=1235

An excellent thread to read, particularly since one of the members identifies himself as just such an animal. Seriously "bad dudes" are not going to jack you for your wallet, but if you get in the way of whatever "business" they may be in the middle of, things might get a little ugly. "Expect the best, plan for the worst....."

Well I'm just going to ignore this person from now on but I got a rebuttal this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thick Headed
    Whatever. I'm sure that if I were to take a poll of the number of people who own Confederate flags, some of them would be minorities or women and educated college professors and stuff who owned it for some legit reason like historical re-enacting, but most of them would just be worthless white trash ********. Same with guns. Stop trying to defend these people. Sorry to burst your little politically correct bubble.

By the way you talk too damn much
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Ah the venerable "Whatever", the interjection used by people who can't think of anything good to say so they opt to simply dismiss rather than admit they don't have an immediate response.

By the way, I own a Confederate flag somewhere. That flag is about southern heritage, not bigotry. If you think it's a symbol for bigotry, then you're the one being a bigot. It's also a reminder of what happens when you turn a blind eye to your own faults. I think there's a lesson in there for you somewhere.

And politically correct? I am what I am. Whether if I'm politically correct or not, I don't really know or care.

Your whole viewpoint hinges on the logical fallacy that a mere posession constitutes a person's demographics and overall state of being. I bet most people in jail for violent crimes wear socks and I bet most Jewish people do too and I bet most women do as well. Therefore since I wear socks, I must be a Jewish woman who has been imprisoned for aggravated assault.

I think we're done here. I'm sure you'll want to get the last word in but I don't care.

I'll try to be more concise in the future. Professor Strunk would have a field day with me.

XD9
    Euc... Whatever.

j/k. Great posts. Quick bio for me.

33 white male
    Recently divorced
    4 great kids
    Network Admin and Bartender. (I have 2 jobs. I don't do them at the same time. Although that could be fun... hmmm.)
    No military exp.
    Parents are very conservative but didn't/don't have guns. They also don't know that I carry. With all the other crap I put them through, I don't want to bring it up at the moment.
    Got interested in guns from former boss.
    Work hard, love my kids, glad to be here!

PS. Does anyone know any good holsters for my concealed toaster?
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Euc,
    I can only imagine your frustration at this point. Some more ammo for your stereotype argument, FWIW.

30yo caucasian male, husband, father, active duty Army Captain. Former paratrooper, OIF-1 battery commander. BA in biology.

Wife is a former elementary school teacher, currently a mom. Dad is a cardiologist, Vietnam vet. Mom is a chaplain in the hospital where he works; she put him through medical school as a teacher. Brother is an EMT back home.

I guess the only "inbred redneck" part of the background is that I grew up on a horse farm, hunt and fish, and I dip Copenhagen. My old battalion commander also nicknamed me Ted Nugent. dh
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

"Expect the best, plan for the worst....."

Seems like I've heard this before. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links