How much do you feed your carry? - Page 2

How much do you feed your carry?

This is a discussion on How much do you feed your carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 150 rounds everyother week. Right now it is very expensive. I am looking for a .22 right now....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    150 rounds everyother week. Right now it is very expensive. I am looking for a .22 right now.

Usually go twice a week but limit to maybe 100-150 rounds.

Generally 2 mags for .45. Fifty or more rounds through Buckmark .22. with about the same for either my XD 9 or Kahr PM9. I usually just take the .22 and one of the others to the range each time, alternating between the 1922, and the two 9 mm.

Also planning on getting started reloading soon. A Buddy and I are going together to get the equipment.

how much my gun eats

Hey Gang,
    I try to go at least twice a month. Sometimes, I go every week sometimes, I don't get to go for a month or two. Usually I fire about 150 rounds per session. Some 45 but mostly 9mm. I buy when I can, reloads at the gun show 9mm last time I bought was $167 for a 1000 and $200 ish for 45cal. If I cant shoot reloads then its walmart winchester 100 rounds per box.
    I figure I shoot about 2000 rounds a year, at a cost of $ 3-400 at year.
    Plus range fees etc
    stay safe
    Jack

50 rounds of 45ACP through by XD and 50 thru my 38 Hammerless every couple of weeks.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

VIP Member
    30-40 rnds 3-4 times a week.

When I first got my gun I wanted to shoot once per week.

Then I actually started to notice ammo prices for the first time in my life.

Now I'm revising my original intentions to one good trip to the range per month, shooting around 100 rounds of cheaper stuff and then at least one magazine of the Corbon JHP I keep in it 24/7.

I'd like (and indeed need) more, but money is what it is. My skills will just have to grow slower than I had hoped. Which, BTW, is another reason I am really enjoying this forum. Lots of good tips to help me get over the initial learning curve faster.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Between the class in Flagstaff with Brownie and my recreational shooting? Maybe 3000 rounds over the next three months? I've lost track of how much ammo I have put through it but its closing on 20,000 rounds really fast.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Not nearly as much as I did before I discovered dry-fire makes me a lot more accurate than real fire. I used to put about 300-500 rounds downrange every weekend, and sometimes I would go Sat and Sunday. I figured out that wasn't working for me.

Now, I probably dry-fire anywhere from 20-200 times per day, and I'll shoot about 50 rounds per weekend or every other weekend. But I find myself going to the range to find out how my reloads are going to perform more than to practice.

Trigger pull has improved drastically, grip has improved drastically, and more importantly, consistency is WAY up.

I'll probably never shoot more than 50-100 rounds on any practice trip, ever again. I've found that after 150-200 rounds my concentration is lacking, my arms are tired, and my technique starts to slip back to before.

Occasionally, if I feel like having a longer shooting session I'll take out my Neos and send a few hundred .22's down range.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I try to get 100 rounds through my .45 every 3 to 4 weeks and I'll shoot around 250 to 300 in my 22/45 at each session.

Just a few hundred rounds per month...
    Ordered a new Kimber Compact CDP II and a 1000 rounds of .45 to go with it...try to keep twice that much of .45 on hand...I don't reload, just no interest in doing so.

Stay armed...stash the ammo before Nov...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A few hundred per month and I alternate the guns I shoot. Rule of thumb is I try to stockpile 1 box of ammo for every box I shoot
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Since I'm disabled, I don't really have much to do with my time. I play a lot of computer games (first person shooters, go figure), watch a lot of movies (over 670 titles in my DVD collection) and ride my bike. Since I bought my first gun back in October 07 I found it to be something I really enjoy so I limit myself to going to the range once a week. I have a 9mm Beretta Px4 Storm. I was shooting 150 rounds per session and sometimes as much as 200 but in the past few weeks I'm limiting myself to 100 rounds each time I go to the range. I shoot Winchester 115gr FMJs, $18.50 per 100 box at Wally World. I've put a lot of brands of ammo through my Px4 and no one jam, stove pipe or double feed. I like the Magtechs and Remingtons a little better but they're more money so if they work the same, then why pay more, right? I have some videos of me shooting at the range on YouTube if anyone wants to check them out.

YouTube - Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm - At The Range

YouTube - Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm - At The Range 02
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by mojave_pistolero View Post
    A few hundred per month and I alternate the guns I shoot. Rule of thumb is I try to stockpile 1 box of ammo for every box I shoot
    I do almost the same thing. I buy three boxes every two weeks and shoot two. One thing I noticed about the Winchester 100 round pack that Wally World sells... most of the time I get an extra round. It might not mean too much but one time I got a bad round with a bent casing so it's almost like payback.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Reloading

Now that I'm starting to reload for my .357 SP101, I suspect I'll be visiting the range weekly and unloading at least 25 - 50 rounds each session. Maybe even more frequently if I can afford the bullets (most costly component). Going to try shooting lead vs. jacketed bullet to keep cost down, but I definitely want some heavy jacketed loads as well. This is really the only way you can afford to shoot regularly these days. At least for a retired individual.
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Been averaging about 100 rds a week through my Springer Ultra Compact .45. Reloading has turned out to be a real moneysaving hobby.

The other guns get a bit less of a workout, but also get fed home made stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links