How much do you feed your carry?

This is a discussion on How much do you feed your carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my Springfield 1911 around the middle of March and since then I have put close to 2500 rounds through it. I have noticed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you feed your carry?

I bought my Springfield 1911 around the middle of March and since then I have put close to 2500 rounds through it. I have noticed the prices and have cut back some but like I told a buddy of mine when he asked why I shoot so much shooting to me is like an addiction to a junkie. Some people like to drink, others like to do drugs, shooting is my drug of choice lol.

To go along with this my new gun should be here today or tomorrow so I will have to add that to the list of ammo to buy now. I think it is time to start looking for a reloading press to save a little bit of money.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

2. Remove Ads

For the last 5 years I have been going to the range one day a week, during my lunch hour, and burning up three 8 round mags, I have 9, and this gives me a chance to use them all equally and also to not keep them loaded for more than three weeks at a time. Since the increase of ammo I am only making it to the range twice a month and the practice, whether just shooting for accuracy or drawing from concealment & shooting, is more concentrated with less fluff.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Unfortunately because of ammo prices, gas prices, and the fact that I had some job-related problems, I can really only hit the range once a month, and even then, only shoot 1-2 guns at a time. My .22 always comes with me. I'll shoot either one of my primaries every other month. I run about 100 practice rounds through, and then 15-20 carry rounds.

Its all I can afford
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Simply not shooting near as much.

Not a pleasant scenario, but the blunt and simple truth.

Only do about 20 rounds through the 9mm, then probably 200 through the .22. Then usually throw some clays to keep shootin the shot gun good.

Wife and I are averaging about 1000 - 1500 rounds a month each through our pistols for practice, and classes.

I've put 50 Self Defense Rounds through each of our guns to ensure proper feed and function.

For those interested, I selected Hornady HP/XTP 115gr. I have no fear the Sig P226 and HK P30 would feed other rounds. But these were available, and something I consider high quality and likely to work.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Minimum once a week three stage practical pistol match, with one stage of tactical shotgun a month. Every other week an extra three stages, as I coach the 'lite' guys, and shoot as well. I shoot 9mm G17 on regular matches and my 1911s on 'lite' nights just for practice to keep familiar with the 1911 platform, as I've been carrying my Commander a lot lately. Total probably 200-300 rounds a month at least, and I try to get out a couple times a month with the Buckmark. I also like to try to get in a couple courses of tactical carbine a month, and give my Marlin 39As a workout once in awhile. Those are as much fun as anything I shoot. The price of ammo has me shooting more 9mm/.223/.22 than .45/.308/30-06, but I've been trying to save what I have on hand, stock up on components and still buy ammo when I need it.

My carry (G23) has fired one round in 7 months. I'm down to two mags full of proven ammo and don't want to try hundreds of rounds of other stuff as I am about to abandon .40S&W.

My next-carry-to-be (G32) has been about 100 rds/month and will be at that rate for a while. Probably will become my EDC in another 100 rounds or so. I am reloading .357Sig for $8.50 a box of 124JHP. Not exactly cheap, but better than the $22-28/box they are getting in the stores

Now that summer is here, whenever I fire up the BBQ I'll grab a .22 and go through 50 rounds while the food is cooking !

And if I get motivated and start shooting highpower, that's another 100 rounds a month.

I shoot 500 rds of .45, wife shoots 300 rds of .45 = 800 rds of .45 acp FMJ 230 grn. and for the .40 S&W about 1000 rds for the both of us. ALL is FMJ reloads, and lead that i reload my self..... well the wife and kids help... Know my carry ammo is 32 rds of Glaser Blue tip for my .45, and Federal Hydra-shock's for my .40. I spend around 400.00 for supplies, some times a little more and some times a little less.

I reload for both my 45acp, 357 and 38spl. The cost of bullets are the big cost. I use FMJ for the 45 and speer lead swchp on the 357, 38spl. Believe my I also pick up any brass I can find for both calibers. I try to buy in bulk when I can.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Reloading is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Looks like reloading is somewhere in our future.
    Reloading is "the" way to go. No question about it.

I shoot all my handguns for about $18.00/hundred rounds. I reload .45ACP, .45LC, .357 magnum, 9mmP, .380, .38Sp handgun ammo plus .22 Hornet, .223Rem, .22-250 Rem, and .243 Win rifle ammo. The rifles are all basically used for varmint hunting (Ground Hogs, Coyotes, etc.). It is not at all unusual for me to burn through 300 rounds during one range trip.

One huge benefit of reloading is that I can reload dedicated practice ammo for Nedra (my bride of 40 years) and my youngest daughter (32) to shoot in their .357 revolvers. They go through 50 - 100 rounds each of that powder puff load, then shoot a cylinder full of full power loads (I load those too, they are more like .38+P+ in .357 brass). All of it in .357 brass so the guns are easy to clean.

I use a Dillon 550B for all my handgun ammo, a Redding single stage for rifle ammo. I got the 550 because it can also do rifle ammo.

If you only reload one or two calibers of handgun ammo, a Dillon Square Deal B (which only does handgun ammo) is the right tool for the job. Those things will churn out ammo really quickly - 4 to 5 times as fast as a single stage press.

If you decide to reload and haven't been saving your brass, get brass from Brassman on the WEB. Buy bullets bulk on the WEB. Buy powder and primers at local gun shows. .45ACP Brass lasts for quite a few reloadings (10 minimum).

In addition to the Square Deal B you would need:

A good powder scale
    A vibratory case cleaner + a bag of crushed walnut shell bird bedding (from Wal Mart)
    A seperator to seperate the brass from the media
    A ballistic bullet puller (looks like a hammer that you put the round in, bang it on something, and the bullet comes out). Think of it as an eraser for loading mistakes.
    Eventually you will need a case trimmer and dial caliper.

You can buy one of the caliber specific paper pamphlets for .45ACP and have all the load data you need - and I'd recommend that. However I'd highly recommend the Speer Reloading manual - the first few chapters of it are a course in reloading. Mandatory reading.

You are in baby mode right now - so this is all probably premature. I have 3 kids, 9 grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. Trust me on this, I know what baby mode is! <G>

If you decide to start reloading, post on here and you will get lots of input.

Fitch

Fitch

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Now that I'm starting to reload for my .357 SP101, I suspect I'll be visiting the range weekly and unloading at least 25 - 50 rounds each session. Maybe even more frequently if I can afford the bullets (most costly component). Going to try shooting lead vs. jacketed bullet to keep cost down, but I definitely want some heavy jacketed loads as well. This is really the only way you can afford to shoot regularly these days. At least for a retired individual.
    Roger that. I'm retired and I like to shoot a lot.

I have a really good practice ammo recipie for the SP101 if you are interested. It shoots in .357 brass so it is easy to clean the cylinder.

Fitch

Minimum of 500 rounds a week through three handguns....usually more than that unless with the group (500-1500/week)....We usuallly meet twice a week and then I will shoot behind the house a couple more times a week.

Hubby reloads for all our different calibers...so the availability isnt a problem, but sometimes he falls behind and I have to go buy some for the day

Draw and fire in 2-4 shot strings roughly 1/2 to a box each of 380, 38 and 44 spl(every few months) per month at humanoid targets .... thoughtfully planned and patiently executed with monitored results....multiple and sometimes moving targets while moving. Multiple point shooting techniques for over 90%. This is the monthly practical exam .... no warm up ... done cold .... just like the real thing.

More productive toward maintaining and building skill is the 2x/week 15 min draw and dry fire which might be focused in any of several areas each time. This is training of the mind and body to be smooth, reliable , accurate and fast ....mostly the actual shooting provides great confidence and sometimes areas to work on.

Dry fire and draw work ... be patient and smooth and work on one thing at a time for a while.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Back when I was single, had lots of time, and life was cheap, I'd put 100-200 rounds through my EDC in a weekend, every weekend.

Now I'm married and have a daughter, so I dont get to the range very often. Maybe once a month.

I do go though a lot of .22 in a 1911 with a Ciener conversion though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links