The Case for Weak-Sided Tools - Page 5

The Case for Weak-Sided Tools

This is a discussion on The Case for Weak-Sided Tools within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For this reason I have enrolled all 4 of my kids and Wife in a Martial Arts class, not just to learn how to break ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    For this reason I have enrolled all 4 of my kids and Wife in a Martial Arts class, not just to learn how to break a hold but to learn how to survive.

This video, when it first came out, is exactly what solidified the decision. You will never see, God forbid, one of my kids just being led away by a stranger on a CCTV tape; you will see them fight as if their life depended on it (because it just might).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The, "We all want to stab somebody," comment, was obviously a joke. Or maybe not so obvious. Or was it?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I seem to remember some psychological study that said that the average person fantasizes about killing the bad guy and being a hero (just like in the movies). I cannot lie that I don't fantasize about being the hero sometimes (by shooting, stabbing, or beating, or all. Such is imagination), but in real life I don't want to hurt anybody, unless I have to.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I seem to remember some psychological study that said that the average person fantasizes about killing the bad guy and being a hero (just like in the movies). I cannot lie that I don't fantasize about being the hero sometimes (by shooting, stabbing, or beating, or all. Such is imagination), but in real life I don't want to hurt anybody, unless I have to.
    I agree, most people probably do think about what it would feel like to take another life. Call it morbid curiosity or just a simple "I wonder..." thought; and 99% of people (my made up percentage) keep it in their head. I think this is true because of some of the freaks you see in the news who went out to kill someone to see what it felt like or because their favorite game "made them do it" ( B.S. in my opinion).

Also like MP said, people want to be the hero whether it be conscious or sub-conscious. With that I think that most people, and I would guess all on this thread, would rather take the risk of personal harm and also the mental effects of taking someone else's life in order to protect those who can't. I sense a large military/former military grouping (hehe, I had to put it like that) on this forum and that goes without saying that they would/have/will put their life on the line for others. Does that mean they WANT to take another life or are willing to if the situation arises, I think the 2nd option holds true.

I know in my adult life I have never wanted for anyone to die, but have made it clear to my family that I would not hesitate in my decision if confronted with BG' slife over victim's life.

Also as stated before, I think the comment to "want to stab someone" was a joke (I hope).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    My left fist is my only tool on my weak side. Hopefully if needed, it will help free up the right side.

I often tell people that I am really good at ending fights, but I am really bad at starting them.

In short, I work really hard to insure that when a fight happens, whether it is a gun fight, or an empty hand fight, that I can finish it and win. But I also care about people, and don't really want to get hurt over nothing, and I don't want somebody else to get hurt, so I work really hard at stopping fights before they happen. It seems like no matter how badly I want to punch this guy in the face, I always come up with the right thing to say that calms him down.

My comment that I want to stab somebody is mostly a joke, but not completely. Anyone who trains in something, wants to put it into practice. The football player dreams of playing in the Super Bowl, and so on. The more serious you are about training, the more you want to apply it.

Do I want to randomly stab or shoot somebody? No. However I would love to have been present at Virgina Tec and have been armed. I would give anything for that. A chance to use the skills that I have developed to save somebody's life. Yep. If that is crazy then call me crazy.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was trained to have my weapon hand (right) be dedicated to the firearm except for impact baton, reason being that the baton is carried on the left but used by the right, and both are seldom used together.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Thanks to Limatoons...

I had never thought much about the weak side 'tools' until reading this thread.

My KA-BAR just arrived today in the mail...I'm impressed.
    I got the tan one with a clip for the belt.

Even my wife thought it was pratical...I couldn't believe it...my wife thought it was practical...(I could keep saying that, but I'd sound like the Hertz commercial, "They came and got her?").

Her first comment was, "That looks like it means business!" She understood why I wanted a weapon on my weak side. ("They came and got her?")

Anyway, I send my thanks to Lima for the thread...I feel a little more defensive on my weak side.

Stay armed..."They came and got her?"...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator

This is my support side knife.
    SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ Blade length 5"

No...that's not my hand. I just cropped, resized, and enhanced a web photo.
    Same exact knife though.
    My Little Bro has my Digital camera till Sunday.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My KA-BAR just arrived today in the mail...I'm impressed.
    I got the tan one with a clip for the belt.
    My large one arrived also. Both the large and small ones are impressive. Very potential momentum-changers in a life-and-death conflict.

Just a reminder to check the sheath screws periodically (if you have a sheath with screws). When I removed my old sheath, one screw was missing. The company will send screws free of charge if you ask. Plus they sent extra with the new knife.

They have 3 sheaths that I'm aware of: a belt clip, a fabric snap-on, and a solid unit that threads through the belt like some OWB holsters (although I position mine between the belt and pants). The solid OWB unit is my favorite so far as it never moves once installed. The belt clip moves some for me when I draw or even just in wearing. It seems to have been designed for a larger belt, perhaps a police belt.

Anyway, great knives. The more I carry a TDI, the more I like them.

I wished that I could carry a TDI on my weak side, but alas fixed blades are a no no where I live. I do carry a small defensive folder as it is better than nothing.
    God bless our troops!

Can someone post a pic of the TDI with the belt clip, I am debating between a SOG Flash II and a TDI but I want to see how it fits on the belt, since I know how the SOG will fit.

Thanks in advance.

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Can someone post a pic of the TDI with the belt clip, I am debating between a SOG Flash II and a TDI but I want to see how it fits on the belt, since I know how the SOG will fit.

Thanks in advance.

Check out this thread here.

Search function is your friend

-JT

Thanks, I'll look harder next time. I think I'm gonna have to get both the TDI and the SOG, since I can't seem to make up my mind.

-Paco

Good thread, thanks.
    I have thought about weak side defense. In NC we cannot carry fixed blade knives. 99% of the time I have a Surefire E2D on my left front pocket. I feel this would be a good defense tool. When I have a full size 1911 on the strong side there is a spare mag in my left back pocket so the E2D is my only weak side tool, but if I am only going with pocket carry there is a Spyderco Civilian in my left back pocket. I think the key is situational awareness, but next would be the willingness to fight for your life with ALL you have.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links