Healthy Paranoia... - Page 2

Healthy Paranoia...

This is a discussion on Healthy Paranoia... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paladin132 I am wondering is mine healthy or unhealthy? The "line" is subjective. For me, I enjoy firearms for their defensive capability ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Paranoia...

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    I am wondering is mine healthy or unhealthy?
    The "line" is subjective.

For me, I enjoy firearms for their defensive capability and simply because they are interesting mechanical tools that can be enjoyable to use. So, I have a few to play with, and a few for defense. I take steps for my own security. I remain aware, each and every day, of what of what happens a few miles away or just down the road. I don't have blinders on and hope I won't ever grow them. Paranoia? I call it realistic appreciation for what happens.

Whether you feel the steps you take are healthy or not will depend on you and the steps. Be assured that your assessment will vary from that of others. That isn't your problem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    It depends on how much of your waking time you spend on guns and defense. If it takes over your life than you are paranoid.
    I think that is the best reply to what I was originally thinking when I typed that up late last night. I like firearms, its a cultural thing with how I was raised and my formative years as an adult in the Army. Both add up to my being fond of firearms. They both also taught me that if you plan and pay now you don't have to panic and pay later - and that bad things happen to good people when there is no reason for them to...

dcb188 I am not sure if I can take that about having more scumbags as faith... The reason I say that is because I wonder how much was out there before, but now we qualify everything by putting it into a classification that we didn't do before. We also have 24 hour news and coast to coast instant news, I think alot of it we simply didn't know was going on because of the smaller view we had of the whole picture through technology and our desire to classify why a criminal did x nowdays...

Those who think you are paranoid are probably the same people who can not/wil not recognize the existence of evil in the world.

Regarding carrying every day and everywhere; If I knew I would need a gun, I would stay home.
    Crusty

Clinging to my faith and my guns.

There are far more people living than years ago, therefore the numbers of criminals has dramatically increased, numbers wise. It certainly is not the same number it was thirty years ago. Our society is in a steady decline, and there is more random violence now than years ago. It is not that we are just now hearing about this stuff. When you were growing up, were there a lot of senseless killings? School shootings? AK-47s being used? Hurting people for no reason after robbing them. You don't think the numbers of criminals are much higher than ever? When you were a kid, were drugs rampant in schools? Were gangs on every street corner in major cities.
    It is not that we learn about it faster. It is out there and the numbers are high, not in proportion to the population at large, yet, but if you counted all the criminals out there on the streets compared to thirty or forty or fifty years ago, you don't think there are more, for two major reasons. There are many more people in general now than before. There is much more of this gimme gimme gimme attitude prevailing, even among law abiding citizens.
    Do we really think the quality of life is better now than years ago, crime-wise???
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Boy Scout (Be Prepared), turned sailor (If it's not onboard when you pull away from the pier it minus well not exist, so be prepared), turned army (All I have is what I or my vehicle can cary, so be prepared).

I am not sure I know how not to prethink everything. I have also seen the people that would do us harm face to face too many times, so I know it's not paranoia. I am a civilian as of now but I will not even try to stop being prepared, we have hurricanes here, so stored MRE's, water Filters, Solar Power, and self defense are just Proper Prior Planning.
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; May 16th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Of course you ask this question in a forum of like minded people so the responses are probably going to be a long the lines of what you do anyways. But, there are those of us who feel not only a responsibility but also a obligation to protect and provide for our love ones. In normal everyday life that is done by working and providing food and shelter for our families. During abnomal times we know we must provide the same things and when you sit down and look at your self you must decided to be prepared. I am an office jockey, I am not an agressive person and by no means am i a person that typically can overpower other people on physical strength (although i could probably overpower them with my weight :).

I look at all the possibilites. Power out, tornado, ice storms, power plant mishap, terriorst strike (multiple ways) earthquake, etc. etc. and I try to prepare for these as best i can with the available funds. whats the likely hood of these occuring and impacting me greatly. Fairly low. Whats the likely hood that if it did and I was not prepared that my family could survive. Fairly low. I prefer to change those odds

All that being said i am paranoid about one thing. That the biggest issue is not going to be terrorist or mother nature, rather our own self destruction. Teh world and especially the US revolves around money. For 99% of the population take away the money and you will have your biggest natural disaster. it would take a "perfect storm" for the economy to get this bad. But it did that is when everything will hit the fan, because unlike most other things, that is the one thing that can impact everyone at the same time

I agree with the various replies, it is not paranoia but is being prepared.

When you were in Saudi Arabia did you think it was paranoia, I'm guessing that would be a no answer.

Think about where we are today, we have people loosing it more and more and go off and murder people in shopping malls and schools o ron the highway from their modified trunk...

And I'm not talking about the rough places that typically come to mind, inner city crime riddled neighborhoods, I'm talking Virginia Tech or a shopping mall in Omaha. Also consider the hoards of unchecked people flowing across our borders; drugs, gangs (MS13, and others), and who knows who else (OTM) form whatever other countries of people who may want to kill us (Al-Queda, Columbians, Taliban, etc.)

Paranoid, no just ready. I would hope that everyone on this board already has a plan and bug out bag on the ready, does that now make me paranoid?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Not even close. You can never be to prepared.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Ok, now I wonder how many people do have a bob and such...

PM
    As a person with a background in mental health ---being Paraniod is a unrealistic fear which keeps you from doing activities of daily living (ie the fear that you will get shot by a BG so you do not leave your house or you shot some one you think is a BG because the person looks threating). We are Paraniod but not clinically!!

That is reassuring PM!! I don't know, I just wondered what other folks around the boards thought. I mean, there have been a number of times when these friends have given me giref for the stuff I carry with me all the time... but when in a room in a building with very few windows, and NONE in the room or corridore outside and the lights go out... The Surefire was nice. I have alot more life experience than these folks, and it makes me a little more prepared in a number of ways and of course they look at me odd... They will all be officers in the next months or years, so I guess it will show them what I am talking about.

I agree with PM's definition clinically. Unfortunately, most in society are ignorant and would label many of us, "prepared people," as paranoid simply because we deviate from established societal norms. This is just one reason why I am thankful that I was taught to thini for myself and disregard the opinions of others.

While living in NM, I spoke with a deputy about this very topic. He said that he carries everything in his vehicle, blankets, food, water, shovels, etc...Some of his friends called him paranoid, but only until they needed something he has. Then they called him prepared.

The same is probably true for most of us. The average sheep on the street would think we are paranoid, when in reality we are simply prepared for some of the less likely events of life.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty49 View Post
    Regarding carrying every day and everywhere; If I knew I would need a gun, I would stay home.
    +1 Thats what the antis don't get. I'm not looking for trouble, but I am going to be as prepared as possible if trouble finds me.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

What, Why and Where

I think FN1910 said it right. Paranoia can be defined by what you are prepared for.

I live in SE Arizona, being prepared for an illeagal to attempt to mug you is not paranoia.

Investing $5000 in a snow blower would be!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

We lost power for 13 days in an ice storm. Being prepared meant it wasn't too big of a deal. Others were not so lucky. All kinds of things can, and do happen. even big brother tells you in an emergency you are "on your own".
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links